The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Vatican Updates Sins

This just in: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflif … pstoryview”>http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/03/10/vatican.updates.sins.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview</LINK_TEXT>

are these people fucking kidding? The sinful behavior that they left out was butt-fucking pre-pubescent boys and then covering it up. FUCK!

I never understood the Catholic church (or any organized religion for that matter) but what makes them think that a group of men have the right to “update” the word of god? I guess that’s why I never bought into it. If God ever did exist he washed his hands of us long before these fuckers that claim to speak his word came along.

But the article does mention that pedophilia is a sin they’re still concerned about.

[quote=“DexPac”]
I never understood the Catholic church (or any organized religion for that matter) but what makes them think that a group of men have the right to “update” the word of god? I guess that’s why I never bought into it. If God ever did exist he washed his hands of us long before these fuckers that claim to speak his word came along.

But the article does mention that pedophilia is a sin they’re still concerned about.
[/quote]

true.

I married a Mormon. Before I married her I thought that I had it all figured out. When she came along I began to learn about her family’s beliefs. I started by saying “damn…that’s wierd”…but then I realized that it isn’t any more strange than anything anyone else believes…it’s just different. In the grand scope of things…believing that God spoke to Moses via a burning bush isn’t any more strange than believing that some guy saw Egyptian hieroglyphics and translated them into the refined word of God. As a matter of fact - the two stories actually have a lot in common because this guy was all by himself when nobody else was around when God spoke to him. He was chosen to lay a bunch of rules on people which ultimately gave him power over them all…it’s a sham. The biggest con in the world is starting your own church. We should be so lucky.

Any person with brains should know that anything that comes out of the Vatican is nothing but a crock of shit.

did you see that they added pedophilia?

These new sins seem somewhat redundant:

Paedophilia, Taking drugs, Abortion: I thought most Christians considered these sins already. Aren’t they all covered under other sins (lust, “our body is a temple”, thou shalt not murder, etc.)

Polluting, Genetic engineering: Both of these seem out of place.

Causing social injustice: That is unbelievably vague. What the fuck does that even mean?

Possessing obscene riches: WTF?!!! As someone who is staunchly capitalist, that makes me angry. Besides, the bible never said that money was the root of all evil, it is the love of money.

Didn’t Jesus say that anybody who is filthy rich has no chance in hell to go to heaven? (what an awesome pun!). I bet Jesus was a communist.

Besides, I don’t understand how the Vatican has the face to proclaim anything against possessing obscene riches when it was itself directly involved in the Banco Ambrosiano scandal no more than 30 years ago. Bunch of arrogant mind controlling hypocrites, all of them.

[quote=“Angel”]

Genetic engineering

[/quote]

Now this really pisses me off to no end… the potential for Human enhancement through Genetic engineering is virtually limitless and yet it has to be held back for ludicrous religious and ethical reasons… dont get me wrong they can be useful in preventing the destruction of important social structures… but theres no good reason not to advance… Calling a field of technological research a sin makes these people god damn neo luddites… Anyway… If people stopped pissing away so much money on the myriad of useless pursuits and blindly believing that trying to cure cancer is a sin, we could probably greatly expand the human lifespan within this generation…

[quote=“Scarface”]
Didn’t Jesus say that anybody who is filthy rich has no chance in hell to go to heaven? (what an awesome pun!). I bet Jesus was a communist.
[/quote]

No. Jesus said that it’s harder for the rich man to get into heaven, because it’s easy for him to fall into the trap of loving money and thinking he doesn’t need God. He never said that the rich cannot get into heaven.

He said it’s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven. Try and make a camel go through a needle’s eye, and see if “hard” is an adequate term to define the task. I would say it’s damn near fucking impossible.

[quote=“Scarface”]
He said it’s easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go to heaven. Try and make a camel go through a needle’s eye, and see if “hard” is an adequate term to define the task. I would say it’s damn near fucking impossible.
[/quote]

The Needle’s Eye was a gate that led into Jerusalem. It was too small for a camel laden with baggage to pass through. The camel would need to discard his baggage to be able to enter the gate. I’m pretty sure it isn’t literal.

Whatever way you interpret it, Jesus never said that to be rich was a sin. He merely pointed out that it is much harder for a rich man to get into heaven than a poor man. The love of money is the root of all evil - NOT money as of itself.

(I personally don’t think that the love of money is the root of all evil, but that’s the general Christian belief.)

[quote=“Angel”]
Polluting, Genetic engineering: Both of these seem out of place.
[/quote]

As you said, everything is pretty redundant , except of these two weird thing out of place, really. What has pollution to do with religion ?? And about genetic manipulations, before even talking about this, they should ask themselves why they still don’t allow sexuam relations with condoms, for example in Africa where thousands of people are dying because of AIDS. Can someone explain me why they don’t allow that ? Do they prefer people to die ? They should modernize this first to help “the human race” before talking about genetic manipulations !

The irony is that the Vatican Bank was at one time a major shareholder in a company that manufactured contraceptives…

[quote=“Scarface”]
The irony is that the Vatican Bank was at one time a major shareholder in a company that manufactured contraceptives…
[/quote]

Really ??

Yep. Company’s name was Sereno, in which the Church held an investment up till the late seventies. Disgustingly hypocritical, really.

I’m Baptist. So my version of christianity is easier than all that. Just try to live the best you can, and accept Jesus as your saviour, you’re going to heaven. But what if the catholics are right, and we’re wrong? I better start going to confirmation classes just incase. And quit driving, and smoking pot too. And while I’m at it, I should quit my job, and just walk the Earth, like Cane in Kung Fu.

[quote=“Geoi”]
I’m Baptist. So my version of christianity is easier than all that. Just try to live the best you can, and accept Jesus as your saviour, you’re going to heaven. But what if the catholics are right, and we’re wrong? I better start going to confirmation classes just incase. And quit driving, and smoking pot too. And while I’m at it, I should quit my job, and just walk the Earth, like Cane in Kung Fu.

[/quote]

What if a purple leprechaun were to steal your car tonight and rob a chain of convenience stores? I grew up Baptist…those motherfuckers made me feel guilty for listening to the music that I love. I remember this fuck-head preacher with a 9-inch zipper telling me that Pink Floyd w (as if that were a man’s name) was an uneducated idiot because the lyrics to Another Brick in the Wall say “We don’t need no education”. I thought to myself…David Gilmour and Roger Waters are so much fucking smarter than you it isn’t even funny.

quick joke:

a man is looking for the reverend T. Leroy Jones. A cadillac limo pulls up and a large black man in a $5000 suit gets out. The man asks him “are you the rev. T. Leroy Jones?”. The man says “no, I’m the accountant”. Another man in a nice suit exits the auto and he is asked if he is the rev. T. Leroy Jones. He declines and says “no, I am the chief coordinator of operations”. This goes on and on with several other men who exit the limo. Finally, a man in a white suit that was obviously made by a tailor from London gets out. The man is so excited…he says “you must be the rev. T. Leroy Jones!” The man says that he is not. He asks, “well…what do you do?” He replies “I helps with tha fuckin’”

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, then for a rich man to get into heaven.

Traditionally Christians are supposed to practice charity and help others, so there is no excuse for squandering away all that money. One person doesn’t need it, but many others do. However, Christian charity seems less and less common nowadays, PARTICULARLY within the higher clergy of the Catholic church itself (go figure).

Also, there should be no need to be this specific with sins. Causing social injustice, although vague, would usually mean putting the welfare of others beneath yourself. It’s selfishness to the extreme, (ie, Chinese politics and oil from Darfur), but why do they have to make it so specific? OBVIOUSLY exploiting people in a harmful way should be a “sin”.

I come from an Irish and French background, and predictably my family is Roman Catholic. I’m not though. I’m intensely spiritual but I believe in feeling rather than being told.

there could be one commandment instead of ten:

1. thou shalt not be an asshole

According to George Carlin, there should be three:

1.) You should be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

2.) You should try really hard not to kill anybody. Except of course if they pray to a different invisible man than you pray to.

3.) Keep thy religion to thyself.