Use of food in both volumes

[quote]The food Kill Bill has nothing to do with anything.[/quote]

Oh shit, you totally proved me wrong.

Your comment is even further validated by your abundance of intelligence as represented by the “thing you’re wondering”:

[quote]The Bride went to Okinawa, that was the first time she met Hattori Hanzo.  Fast forward to the show down between herself and Bill, Bill asks her “Has his sushi gotten any better?”  She replys “no,” by shaking her head.

Wait just a second there, how the fuck would she know if his sushi has gotten any better, if that was the first time she’ve ever met him, or even tasted his sushi.[/quote]

Because Hanzo raised Bill, so Bill was wondering if the sushi has improved since he had it.  Obviously, he was saying “Hanzo’s sushi was bad when I used to eat it.  Is it still bad?”

Also in Pulp Fiction When Jules and Vincent went to see a “business partner” of Marsellus, Jules grabed one of the guys Big Kahuna burger and ate it and also his sprite, while explaining what a Royal with cheese was. Jules recited Ezekiel 25:17 and Killed all the guys along side Vincent.

As far as the sushi is concerned; When Bill asks Beatrix if his (Hanzo’s) sushi had gotten any better… it was just Tarantino taking a stab at Okinawa’s sushi in general. Okinawa is known for it’s horrible sushi… at least in Japan it’s well known that you just don’t eat sushi in Okinawa. Tarantino, I think, was just poking fun at that.

Its kinda like how in The Godfather oranges are a symbol of death, when the Godfather got shot he was looking at oranges, then later died in his orange garden.

Use of food in Kill Bill is not so significant. I remember a movie (was it Talented Mr. Ripley french version??? Or not…) where the killer (yeah, should be Mr. Ripley) always had a meal after killed somebody. That takes stress away, I think. That’s the only film where I noticed the use of food.

Violence is also used when food is involved in some of Leone’s scenes too:

The Mcbain Massacre in Once Upon A Time In the West before the Mcbain family are about to have a huge feast (and have bread the size of doors)

The Bad, on his first killing kills the guy and his sons before a dinner table, where they were just eating, in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Ugly kills the men who are after him whilst he was eating a big piece of meat, in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Haven’t seen any of the Leone films recently and so can’t remember any other similar scenes. IL_Buono, care to add to the list??

I’ve got one from Kill Bill that nobody mentioned:

Right before the massacre at two pines the groom suggests they go out to dinner!

Can she bake a cherry pie?

- Bill drinking tequila shots in the end.

• Reservoir Dogs gang enjoying a meal before a heist gone wrong.

• Vince eating cereal before Vincent crashes to his house in Pulp Fiction.

yeah, but there’s two instances where this doesn’t hold true:

Eating a meal at Jack Rabbit Slims (they just dance in the immediate future)

The very beggining of Resovoir Dogs (nothing happens to them after they have that meal)

Kubrick did the same thing in 2001 by having Floyd and his colleagues eating and discussing food. It reminds you that man is still an animal. Tarantino uses bathrooms in a similar way.

[quote]yeah, but there’s two instances where this doesn’t hold true:

Eating a meal at Jack Rabbit Slims (they just dance in the immediate future)

The very beggining of Resovoir Dogs (nothing happens to them after they have that meal)[/quote]

During the meal at Jack Rabbit Slim’s, Vincent is trying hard not to be turned on by Mia. It’s the dance that does him in.

And right after the coffee shop scene in RD, the robbery they’d planned turns into a bloodbath.

This is all pretty cool, although I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here… people eat meals in films all the time ???

[quote=“j_c”]
This is all pretty cool, although I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves here… people eat meals in films all the time ???
[/quote] Good point… But I always though about food as the “final meal”… Ever since the hamburger part in p.f.

When Butch is at the stop light, filled with joy and whatnot after shooting Vincent Vega, Marsellus Wallace walks past with Breakfast. Then horror and bloodshed ensues.

When Jules calls Marsellus from Jimmie’s house, explaining to him the current situation, Marsellus is eating breakfast. Enter Winston Wolfe.

When Ted the bellhop goes up to Chester Rush’s room, he brings up a doughnut and a club sandwich. Then, Chester explains how they want Ted to cut off Normans little pinky.

well, watching Jackie Brown for the frist time last night right b4 sam kills that first dude he’s all talking bout chicken and mashed potatoes… :stuck_out_tongue: mmm chicken