Uma Thurman

Since the days of Jackie Brown where there was little or no representation of women, Tarantino has developed an ability to write stronger female characters. So strong in fact that they dominate a particular films arena of focus, notably Uma Thurman. How is this representation of women within Tarantino films different to traditional stereotypes and how do they differ from other representations of women within other films? What sets Tarantino apart from the rest when writing womens’ roles? Discuss

You sure this is the right place for this? Maybe in an actual QT board? Meh :wink:

I know some peeps who write whole coursework pieces on this topic lol. Where to start?

Well I’ll type more when I have the time, but for now I think QT’s women are smart, equal if not more so than the men (obvious in KB :stuck_out_tongue:)- they’re rounded characters, not just hollow avatars.

Always good.

I’ll write more later lol, TTFN

I think The Bride in particular was one of his best characters simply because

she was the most three-dimensional. Most of his characters don’t show

much emotion but in the course of Kill Bill she showed just about every

emotion a human can feel. I actually think he’d be a much better writer

if he allowed his male leads to show some emotion as well.

Yeah I kind of agree- the males (and to an extent females) are not so much full blooded characters as people who spout out hip dialouge.

[quote]in the course of Kill Bill she showed just about every

emotion a human can feel[/quote]

This gonna be slightly off topic but…

Its weird, but The Bride is one of those characters where I felt as if I KNEW what she was feeling. Between QT’s writing and Thurman’s performance, I was right there with The Bride (cept when she was fighting of course :stuck_out_tongue:)

Example. When she first drags herself into the Pussy Wagon, and has trouble closing the door- I really felt her frustration and helplessness. When she prepares for the final face off against O Ren- I feel almost as exhausted as she probably does. In Volume 2, when she trapped underground- man that creeped me right out. And finally in the bathroom at the end, where shes crying/laughing- I’m right there with her. It’s rare in films that I’ve had such identification with a character- even a sword welding semi ninja like the Bride!

Sorry, random thought spouting over…

In the Qt universe women are as strong as men and as capable as men. I liked KB because the Bride is not featured as a one dimensional piece of ass. The loss of her daughter made her determined and angry. It was an excellent set up for a revege flick.

In most action films (at least lately) featuring women, the lead character is cartoonish, flawless and lacking depth. I’ll use Tomb Raider as an example, no matter what Croft did her hair stayed in place. I hate that stupid strand of hair that never moves! I also hated the scene where she’s in the snow in a thin slinky coat while all of the other characters are bundled up. It was unrealistic and dull.

She certainly did a great job with her role as “The Bride” - I fell in love with this movie the first time I saw it on DVD. And never in my life had I seen a movie quite like this one - it just blew my mind away.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
She certainly did a great job with her role as “The Bride” - I fell in love with this movie the first time I saw it on DVD. And never in my life had I seen a movie quite like this one - it just blew my mind away.
[/quote]

Didnt you get to see it at the Movies?

The funny thing was, I didin’t even know who Tarantino was at the time. My brother rented the movie for the weekend and after I watched it I was just blown away! After that I must have watched it over 30 times after I bought my own copy! The first Tarantino movie I have seen in theatres is Grindhouse.

That was four years ago…