The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

True Romance (director's cut)

[quote=“MistyDawn”]
[color=Purple]uhhh yeah i think the reason he didnt direct those movies was because she sold them. Which i have seen him say in an interview. He didnt own them anymore.

Not so he could do Pulp Fiction. Because he sold True Romance to fund Reservoir Dogs.
[/quote]

he explains this thoroughly in the audio commentary

The extra scenes and cuts are excellent and the commentaries by scott are really cool and informing…but what I dont understand is why are the scenes left out of the directors cut that scott found cool enough to put in?

like the pussy scene…why is that not in the directors cut? and the extended intro? etc

I am confused…whats a directors cut without the cut that the director wants? its just a special edition then…

the director’s cut for example features more violence, and the happy end. the theatrical cut had a sad ending.

yeah but in the deleted scenes scott says he likes the extended intro and the pussy scene…and why did he not put that in? this would be his chance…

[quote=“Seb Himself (admin)”]
the director’s cut for example features more violence, and the happy end. the theatrical cut had a sad ending.
[/quote]

What?? Did the theatrical cut have QT’s ending (where Clarence dies)??

No it didn’t.

So what sad ending is Seb talking about?

Seb’s wrong…the theatrical version featured the happy ending just like the director’s cut. QT’s ending was filmed but was never included in any version of the movie.

really? i am not saying the theatrical cut had QT’s ending. i thought the theatrical cut had the Tony Scott version where clarence doesnt wake up and she is at the beach alone… am i wrong with this?

Two seperate endings were shot for the movie. One is the happy ending we all know about. The other is when Clarence dies while Alabama escapes the hotel alone and hitches a ride. Scott preferred the happy ending right from the start and that’s what he chose for the theatrical release. QT himself admitted that the happy ending is more suited with how Scott filmed the whole move. That’s the way I always knew it anyway.

[quote=“Seb Himself (admin)”]
really? i am not saying the theatrical cut had QT’s ending. i thought the theatrical cut had the Tony Scott version where clarence doesnt wake up and she is at the beach alone… am i wrong with this?
[/quote]

No, the scene where Clarence doesn’t wake up is QT’s original ending, the sad ending, and that wasn’t placed in the film but made the extras in the Director’s Cut. I’m sure Scott brought in Avery to write the new (happy) ending!