Top 10 directors list

Even over Quentin Tarantino.

See Out of the Blue and you’ll surely understand. I can see Tarantino digging the fuck out of that film.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Even over Quentin Tarantino.

See Out of the Blue and you’ll surely understand. I can see Tarantino digging the fuck out of that film.
[/quote]

This sounds an awful lot like the thing I have for Jim McBride’s flicks. Love him.

Yeah, Jim McBride’s got the stuff.

Wow, alot of his flicks look pretty fuckin’ good. Think I’ll check a few out. Catchfire looks particularly interesting. The Hot Spot too.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Yeah, Jim McBride’s got the stuff.
[/quote]

I thought I was all alone… :’( ;D

Dennis Hopper’s got it going as a director and actor. He was the best part of so many films that would’ve fallen a little flatter without him.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Dennis Hopper’s got it going as a director and actor. He was the best part of so many films that would’ve fallen a little flatter without him.
[/quote]

What do you think of the two I mentioned?

[quote=“F.W.”]
1.Terrence Malick

2.John Cassavetes

3.Andrei Tarkovsky

4.Elem Klimov

5.Rainer Werner Fassbinder

6.Koji Wakamatsu

7.Harmony Korine

8.Leos Carax

9.Monte Hellman

10.Dennis Hopper
[/quote]

dear god we have a film elitist here, a real artsy type - possibly even a snobby film student.

Catchfire was pretty awesome but I felt like I wasn’t enjoying it as much as I was Out of the Blue all the way through. Know what I mean? It was awesome overall but there were parts of it I found myself taken out of it.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]
dear god we have a film elitist here, a real artsy type - possibly even a snobby film student.
[/quote]

Yes, that must be it…that must be why I love Step Brothers and David Wain…thank you for characterizing me, I was so lost and alone.

Thank you, Crazy Kenneth…thank you.

I couldn’t afford film school so I watched a Tarantino movie and worked my way up the ladder. That’s how it happened and it could happen to anyone. Just because a guy has eclectic taste, he gets labelled? Jesus, you’re one talking about open minds.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Yes, that must be it…that must be why I love Step Brothers and David Wain…thank you for characterizing me, I was so lost and alone.

Thank you, Crazy Kenneth…thank you.
[/quote]

HAHA if John Cassavetes is on your list, your an elitist ;D

Yeah, trust me, I’m used to it. I get guys who call me an elitist just because I find emotional battles more entertaining than the robotic variety. I like robots, just not racist and stupid ones.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Yeah, trust me, I’m used to it. I get guys who call me an elitist just because I find emotional battles more entertaining than the robotic variety. I like robots, just not racist and stupid ones.
[/quote]

I understand the feeling.

But of course, if I tell Kenneth he’s stupid for enjoying Transformers, I’m an ass. But he can just call me whatever he likes for the kind of stuff I dig.

I always just think of this when someone likes to complain about art movies, which movie will live on forever, a Bergman film, or a 2009 CGI technology of 2009 robot movie that in 50 years we will have better technology of having fake robots on screen. Which will hold up?

There is not ONE popular director on your list. That’s what amazed me. And by popular, I mean known and loved by many thousands of people. Most people would only recognize one or two people from your list: Dennis Hopper and if we’re lucky also Cassavetes. But only because Dennis Hopper is a popular actor, and Cassavetes because he was in Rosemary’s Baby.

Maybe your not an elitist, you seem like a cool guy. You have to like one of those following movies, if not you’re a cynical douche:

Smokey and the Bandit

Surf Ninjas

Meet the Zohan

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

You can either like one of those 4 movies, or another movie of equal or greater awesomenss/sillyness.

I mean Dennis Hopper? What the hell did he ever direct? Oh wait, that counter-culture leftist biker crap, right? Never saw it, I like to stay happy.

Ok - if you’re gonna mention an actor I’m gonna mention one too: Steven Seagal. He directed one movie: “On Deadly Ground”. Which was an okay movie made awesome due to the fact that it had Steven Seagal in the main role. And as sort of a plus, he saves mother nature.

Goddamn hippie bikers. There should be a movie were Charles Bronson, Chuck Norris, Clint Eastwood and Steven Seagal team up to eradicate all the liberal douchebags, hippies, commies, and counter-culture fags. It would be the best movie ever, after that Hollywood would have to quit because everyone realizes there can be no movie that is better than that one.

I never posted my list, hmmm. Okay, I have mentioned my five av. directors before, but here we go again

Quentin Tarantino

Takeshi Kitano

Frank Capra

Wes Anderson

Zack Snyder

Hayao Miyazaki

Wong Kar Wai

Enzo G. Castellari

John Woo

Howard Hawks

You have no idea what you’re talking about, man. You really don’t. You’re just speaking out of your ass.

Easy Rider is overrated and mostly garbage but I like to watch films without politics in my mind. Jack Nicholson is great in that film, if anything.

And most of those directors are very popular among those they know. They just don’t whore themselves out in DirectTV commercials.

Michael Bay: “Hi, I’m Michael Bay and I demand more AWESOME.” He literally said that in a television commercial.

Also here’s a very small list of silly, ridiculous shit that I consider just as good as any film Leos Carax ever made:

Lucio Fulci’s Don’t Torture a Duckling

Bruno Mattei’s entire filmography is one of the greatest gifts Italy ever gave us. Haven’t seen it all yet but the man has never disappointed me, once.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I have a the shirt, mawfucka. Elias Koteas for the touchdown.

Most people consider this film ridiculous but I think it’s the mother of all road movies: Ride with the Devil.

And Out of the Blue is what he directed, sorry you haven’t heard of it or seen it but that doesn’t make me an elitist. It just makes me a little more active in my search than you.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]
I mean Dennis Hopper? What the hell did he ever direct?

Zack Snyder
[/quote]

I was gonna remain silent till I saw this, what I’d call a paradox. What the fuck has Zack Snyder ever directed?

^ He directed stuff that wasn’t there, until it was put in by 100s of guys from a computer.