The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

This is so true!

Was it really only a decade ago that many of us regarded Quentin Tarantino as the main man, the bee’s knees, a charismatic director who invigorated the entire film industry? It seems longer. Since his first three films - Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown - he’s been in a creative tailspin.

The recent consensus suggests that he has lost the plot. His sixth film, Death Proof (after his two exhausting Kill Bills), confirms that he’s lost rather more: his ear for dialogue, a gift for quirky characterisation, almost everything that once gave his work an enjoyable zest.

It is a homage of sorts to cheap sleazy 1970s B-movies featuring fast cars, guns and under-dressed women. Originally shown in America on a double bill evoking the “grindhouse” era of cinema, it flopped badly, and is being shown in Britain on its own – complete with scratches on the print, bad colour, and the occasional missing frame. This evokes memories few of us can recall.

More here: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh … ath121.xml”>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/09/21/bfdeath121.xml</LINK_TEXT>

[quote]
But that leaves about 100 minutes, tragically padded out with banal, repetitive, interminable speeches from the various women. It’s hard to recall, but snappy, smart dialogue was once Tarantino’s calling card.

He insists he hung out with these women, and “this is how girls talk”. Not quite, QT: this is how actresses talk when they know there’s a writer-director in the room, eagerly taking notes.

Their yakking is as tiresome as Tarantino’s habit of ramming his taste down audiences’ throats: the movie posters on every interior wall, the Joe Tex single lovingly framed on a jukebox – and the mention of “the white 1970 Dodge Challenger with the 440 engine in Vanishing Point”, repeated three times. This compulsive need to show off his references smacks of control freakery.

Tarantino now seems less a personality, more a compendium of stridently voiced opinions about pop culture in human form. Once, he was the funny, geeky film buff who knew the most obscure titles in the video store. Now he’s a hectoring bore. Just the sort of person to make a film like Death Proof.
[/quote]

To each his own opinion but let me say this one is harsh. We won’t get into the same debatte over and over again. I’m part of those who enjoy this movie A LOT. I won’t repeat what I’ve already said on the movie but this critic is harsh, way too harsh.

Question to the author of this topic, do you really think this is true ? Did you lose your own passion for QT ?

I still think QT is the bees knees. Im not going to suddenly change my opinion of him as an artist because Death Proof wasnt a box office smash (alot of that had to do with the 3 + hour running time) and praised to the heavens by Hollywood. Thats not why Im a QT fan. Im looking at the work itself and putting it in context of where it came from, where QT is in his career and where he wants to go. And also what he loves as a filmmaker. It may not be a film for everyone but I can honestly say it was made for me. I loved it.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Question to the author of this topic, do you really think this is true ?
[/quote]
Yes, I do.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Did you lose your own passion for QT ?
[/quote]
Yes, I did.

I wonder if Grindhouse had done really well financially, if you would still have your passion for QTs work. Thats something you should think about. When i read these kinds of posts I think about fairweather fans. Theres alot of those types out there.

"If the general public likes a film, its okay for me to like it too. If it does badly, I dont want to be around. The filmmaker isnt any good now."

The film itself is a total blast, so its def not about QT failing as a filmmaker. Thats for damn sure.

I like the hit and run tactics you pulled too. Post a negative review, leave a negative comment and split. Real nice.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I wonder if Grindhouse had done really well financially, if you would still have your passion for QTs work. Thats something you should think about.

[/quote]

I did thought about it but my opinion changed after watching Planet Terror.

I’ve never wached an exploitation movie before so I thought it was good though I was bored when listen to the dialog

[quote=“PutneySwope”]

I like the hit and run tactics you pulled too. Post a negative review, leave a negative comment and split. Real nice.

[/quote]

Oh, my! Pete, you are so smart!

I was there before, Estearn Beauty, do you remember that? I deleted my account because nobody really understands how I feel.

But I’m still here because I want to know what is going on.

QT has lost something of his talent, and you all blind fans can’t admit it.

And I’m not comparing Death Proof to Pulp Fiction, I never did.

What a waste of time. Get lost you assclown. Go back to wherever you came from. Noone wants to hear your fuckin whining.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I wonder if Grindhouse had done really well financially, if you would still have your passion for QTs work. Thats something you should think about. When i read these kinds of posts I think about fairweather fans. Theres alot of those types out there.

"If the general public likes a film, its okay for me to like it too. If it does badly, I dont want to be around. The filmmaker isnt any good now."

The film itself is a total blast, so its def not about QT failing as a filmmaker. Thats for damn sure.

[/quote]

Please, stop modifying your messaseges. I can’t stand it. Think and then post. I can wait.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
What a waste of time. Get lost you assclown.
[/quote]

FUCK YOU

Things has changed since you’re back. You are the one who always starts fights.

Nah fuck you, fuck yourself with a big cucumber.

Oh I just thought of something else: EAT SHIT.

EVERYONE KNOWS you came in here to start shit, all you gotta do is press that button and you can really fuckin irritate people.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Go back to wherever you came from. Noone wants to hear your fuckin whining.
[/quote]

Sure, everybody want to hear you. Don’t worry anyway, somebody will delete this topic like he did with another ones.

Bitch, whine, bitch, whine.

Pulp Fiction is the past ya fuckin baby. Get over it.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
EVERYONE KNOWS you came in here to start shit, all you gotta do is press that button and you can really fuckin irritate people.

[/quote]
Everyone is you? I never started fights with anybody, only you.

Yeah, then before someone deletes this topic cause it’s again a way to argue, start both of you to stop insult each other. And back on the topic.

Maybe some person will respond and want to react about this article. Let them speak and use PMs to insult each other.

End of the fight, really.

[quote=“ShowStopper”]
[/quote][quote=“ShowStopper”]
[/quote]

Sorry Lill, but Im not going back on topic with this bitch, he came in here to start shit. No other reason.

Noone starts a topic with 2 posts to bitch about QTs films unless they want an argument. He couldve kept that stupid opinion/review to himself.

Lets get real.

I’m sorry, Lili. I really do. But Pete just pisses me off. I’m leaving.

Really? Who gives a shit?!! So leave!! Good fuckin riddance!!

WHAT A FUCKING BITCH!!!

He’s like 12 anyway…

No wonder. I come in here and see that stupid crap. Cmon gimme a break.

If Im wrong here, just tell me. I really dont think I am. This kind of crap pisses me off.