The TCM (Turner Classic Movies) Appreciation Thread

Woow! I just got His Girl Friday and my Bette Davis box set. :angel:

[quote=ā€œLt. BioBasterdā€]
Woow! I just got His Girl Friday and my Bette Davis box set. :angel:
[/quote]

Have you seen His Girl Friday yet! Of course you have, but I just love that movie. Such a great example of acting, writing, and directing all coming together absolutely perfectly. And Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are so great together, one of my favorite parings in any movie ever.

No, Iā€™ve never seen it. I ordered it two days ago and barely got it today, there really arenā€™t that many good DVD qualities of it, the one I got was said to be a remastered edition, but it really looks like a bootleg DVD! There is no definitive edition! Iā€™m seeing it tonight for the first time. I also got a bunch of great Bette Davis titles from my box set which inlcude the films:

Mr. Skeffington, Dark Victory, The Letter, The Star, and Now, Voyager.

Iā€™ve only seen The Letter twice - once on TV and another viewing on youtube, now I finally own it. Iā€™m watching His Girl Friday and Now, Voyager tonight.

No, Iā€™ve never seen it. I ordered it two days ago and barely got it today, there really arenā€™t that many good DVD qualities of it, the one I got was said to be a remastered edition, but it really looks like a bootleg DVD! There is no definitive edition! Iā€™m seeing it tonight for the first time. I also got a bunch of great Bette Davis titles from my box set which inlcude the films:

Mr. Skeffington, Dark Victory, The Letter, The Star, and Now, Voyager.

Iā€™ve only seen The Letter twice - once on TV and another viewing on youtube, now I finally own it. Iā€™m watching His Girl Friday and Now, Voyager tonight.
[/quote]

Well have fun man itā€™s a great movie. The DVD isnā€™t bad, or at least bootleg bad, but it definitely could have been better. Doesnā€™t matter though, the movies so damn good. (God I really hope you like it cause Iā€™m really building it up).

But how dare you be on a QT forum and not seen His Girl Friday! Blasphemy! ;D

Yeah, I heard QT was a huge fan and heā€™s always refrencing it, I just never got around to it.

BTW, what DVD do you own, I got the A2CDS version, and the front cover and disc look like shit! It was definitely made on a computer, the underside of the disc is purple as well! I saw the reviews it got and the people gave it 5 stars - I think Iā€™ll buy an older edition just for the cover, this cover is completely awful.

I have this one.

<LINK_TEXT text=ā€œhttp://www.amazon.com/His-Girl-Friday-C ā€¦ 047&sr=8-5ā€>Amazon.com</LINK_TEXT>

And Iā€™ve never seen this one but it looks like some sort of special edition.

<LINK_TEXT text=ā€œhttp://www.amazon.com/His-Girl-Friday-E ā€¦ 102&sr=8-1ā€>http://www.amazon.com/His-Girl-Friday-Enhanced-1940/dp/B0018SJ928/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243555102&sr=8-1</LINK_TEXT>

<LINK_TEXT text=ā€œhttp://www.amazon.com/Girl-Friday-Remas ā€¦ 639&sr=1-3ā€>http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Friday-Remastered-Cary-Grant/dp/B000WOYSCA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243567639&sr=1-3</LINK_TEXT>

this is the one i got.

Just the picture looks like it was printed off a computer ;D! Sorry, hope the movie looked better than the case.

But did you see it?! And more importantly did you like it?

Not yet. I caught the midnight screening of Drag Me To Hell. Cool flick, for a PG13, I mean. Not Evil Dead, but still good.

Not yet. I caught the midnight screening of Drag Me To Hell. Cool flick, for a PG13, I mean. Not Evil Dead, but still good.
[/quote]

Oh yeah, Iā€™ve been really wanting to see that. Ever since he did the first Spider-Man Iā€™ve been wondering when he was gonna return to horror. Excited to see it.

[quote=ā€œLT. Ordell Rodriguezā€]
But how dare you be on a QT forum and not seen His Girl Friday! Blasphemy! ;D
[/quote]

A good movieā€“And most definetly a stand-out for itā€™s timeā€“But man, those last 20 minutes are capable of giving anyone a headache. All the players are screaming their lines and theyā€™re saying about 13 words in 5 seconds! Must have been a pure nightmare for the foreign crowds that have to watch the movie in subtitles!!!

[quote=ā€œLaydbackā€]
A good movieā€“And most definetly a stand-out for itā€™s timeā€“But man, those last 20 minutes are capable of giving anyone a headache. All the players are screaming their lines and theyā€™re saying about 13 words in 5 seconds! Must have been a pure nightmare for the foreign crowds that have to watch the movie in subtitles!!!
[/quote]

Oh wow, I just thought of that last part. I loved the ending in all itā€™s craziness, but the poor fuckers who had to read it earned their fucking stripes if they could even sit through it. I donā€™t know how well it would play in a different language.

I wonder if somewhere around thereā€™s a dubbed version. Iā€™d love to hear that!

Hey, didnā€™t somebody on the board want to see the movie Operation Madball? They still arenā€™t releasing a single DVD but they do have one coming out in a Jack Lemmon collection from TCM. Hereā€™s the link if your curious.

<LINK_TEXT text=ā€œhttp://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.co ā€¦ sku=D25854ā€>http://turnerclassic.moviesunlimited.com/product.asp?shopref=TCM.com+Home%3AShopping+Main%3AJack+Lemmon+Collection+(DVD)+-+Available+6%2F16&sku=D25854</LINK_TEXT>

I saw it while I was checking the new schedule for the month and instantly thought of whoever was talking about it awhile back.

TCM just showed Jezebel (A movie thatā€™s become quite popular at this forum for awhile now) Recorded it, but havenā€™t watched it yet. Iā€™ll check it out tomorrow when thereā€™s nothing else on.

[quote=ā€œLaydbackā€]
TCM just showed Jezebel (A movie thatā€™s become quite popular at this forum for awhile now) Recorded it, but havenā€™t watched it yet. Iā€™ll check it out tomorrow when thereā€™s nothing else on.
[/quote]

Please do, itā€™s a cool little movie.

[quote=ā€œLaydbackā€]
[/quote]

Great, did Robert Osbourne introduce it?

The film is almost 80 years old and it still holds up so well, I mean to have the directorial talent of Mr. William Wyler and of course the legendary Bette in the leading role is film magic. I remember the play was purchased for Bette Davis, and the play itself wasnā€™t too succesfull, it was until Gone With The Wind that made the Warner Brothers studio green light the project and they had to borrow MGMā€™s top dog, William Wyler for the film!

And the result was a magnificent film that transcends time. I wonder why itā€™s not as popular as Gone With The Wind. In my humble opinion I think Jezebel is better.

[quote=ā€œOrdell Rodriguezā€]
Please do, itā€™s a cool little movie.
[/quote]

I donā€™t think itā€™s ā€œlittleā€. The film did go over budget and the bog scene was filmed in a Warner Brothers studio. Wyler captures the period of 1850s New Orleans very well. The movie is far more complicated than it seems. There was the great costume design, the social manners that these Southerners followed and traditions. And that opening track shot of various merchants tells you so much and it is done in less than a minute! That was one of the greatest sequences since the marriage Pan shots in Citizen Kane! The film also revolves around the yellow fever outbreak and it is integrated so well in the narrative.

SORRY, EDITED MY POST SINCE LAYDBACK HASNā€™T SEEN IT

:stuck_out_tongue:

Some movies that I watched on the channel over the weekend:

The Champ-A good Wallace Berry performance and I liked the setting around the California/Mexican border. But what I really loved seeing was that Jackie Cooperā€™s best friend was blackā€”And he didnā€™t have to be subjected to no racial handicaps (Something extremely rare to see around this time) And one thing that I just love to see with 1930ā€™s/1940ā€™s cinema are the boxing matches. The fight choreography is crazy! and if you combine that with the cranked-up film, as often happens, youā€™ll always get some unintentional comic results.

Captain Blood-I actually liked this a lot more then Adventures of Robin Hood. Why the Robin Hood comparison? Mainly because of the Flynn/Curtiz/DeHavilland connection (And also for the fact that both films have the same replicated shot of the enemy throwing down their weapons in surrender) Even though Robin Hood gets proper accolades with that techincolor beauty, I just found the story & action of Peter Blood to be more interesting and compelling than the Robin Hood tale.

Yankee Doodle Dandy-It really is astonishing to see Cagney show off that amazing footwork that so many never knew he had to demonstrate his versatility in a career-high performance, but I thought this movie could have benefited from a slightly shorter running time and less patriotism, but it was on the eve of Americaā€™s involvement in WWII. What can you do?

Jezebel:
Great, did Robert Osbourne introduce it?[/quote]

No, Mank did. He gave information that you already knew (But what I didnā€™t at the time) about how WB wanted to get the jump on Gone with the Wind with this film. And I was actually worried because Mank said that there are some similarities between the characters of Scarlett and Julie (Jezebel) but thank god, Julie wasnā€™t anywhere near as bitchy as Scarlett was.

I wonder why itā€™s not as popular as Gone With The Wind. In my humble opinion I think Jezebel is better.
[/quote]

Well, at the moment, I like certain halves of both movies. I love GWTW up untill the intermission. Everything after that becomes excrutiating to me. And I only really started to get into Jezebel once Pres reunited with Julie in the midst of the ā€œYellow Jackā€. But I can see the Oscar praise for Davisā€™ performance in this one. No one can deliver anguish quite like her.

[quote=ā€œLaydbackā€]
Captain Blood-I actually liked this a lot more then Adventures of Robin Hood. Why the Robin Hood comparison? Mainly because of the Flynn/Curtiz/DeHavilland connection (And also for the fact that both films have the same replicated shot of the enemy throwing down their weapons in surrender) Even though Robin Hood gets proper accolades with that techincolor beauty, I just found the story & action of Peter Blood to be more interesting and compelling than the Robin Hood tale.
[/quote]

Like this flick way more than the Adventures of Robin Hood! Caught it when it was showing this weekend and enjoyed the hell out of it. Michael Curtiz is such a bitchinā€™ director.

Just ordered some flicks on TCM.com

STELLA DALLAS - Barbara Stanwyck

HUMORESQUE - Joan Crawford

DOUBLE INDEMNITY - Fred McMurray & Barbara Stanwyck

BTW, TCM has a fantastic forum filled with Classic film loving junkies - I think Iā€™ll join!