The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

The secret to all great screenwriting

On a bleak September morning, I had revisited some of the great screenplays ever written by men. From Charlie Kaufman’s “Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind”, to Orson Welles’ masterpiece and greatest film of all time “Citizen Kane”. Structure plays a major role in the craft of screenwriting, it determines how your movie will play out in the big screen, it develops tension, suspense, and it also binds the audience with what’s evolving on the screen; we always tend to find out at the same time what the main protagonist does. The greatest introduction to movie I have ever seen is: Thelma and Louise, it establishes the discrepancy of each character, which is unique. All bullshit aside, I think every (real) screenwriter has greatness in them, they just have to develop it with much practice. People are born screenwriters, they don’t become screenwriters. So I think the ability to write such a demanding and visual story is something that only naturally blessed people can do. I , myself have discovered that I have the gift. Today I sold a screenplay for 20,000. It’s a low budget drama entitled “Eternal Damnation”. It took me six years to finally place all the pieces together. I got frustrated, I even ripped my first draft, but today; today my life has changed. I hope LIONSGATE will find the right people to make a great movie. God bless the talented. Don’t give up and never surrender, YOU MIGHT HAVE THE GIFT.

As an official screenwriter; feel free to ask me any questions about your screenplay, I’m here to help and brag about my credentials as a screenwriter…I’m the best!

Congratulations!

Nice to see that you’ve stayed humble. :wink:

Just kidding you deserve it. Awesome job.

Nice to see you’ve managed to stay grounded. But seriously, Congratulations

man. How did they find your script? Was it through query letters, a contest, neither?

congrats!!! just wandering whats eternal damnation about?

Well, first congrats.

Then, as you can see, I’m not the only one to notice you stayed so humble.

And finally, since you wanna brag and tell us you sold one of your script, just don’t tell everyone it did happen, and you’ve got a gift, a talent… In fact, it doesn’t help the others so much.

BUT tell us about more constructive stuff, which be usefull for everyone :

1. How did you sell your script ? Letters, meeting, business relations ? Ho long does it take you to sell it ? Tell us more details…
  2. What’s your script about ? Why do you think ithas attracted producers ?

He already explained everything. He’s just naturally blessed on

a Charlie Kaufman/Orson Welles level . lol

http://www.ehow.com/how_107960_sell-screenplay.html Here’s all you need to know my fellow underlings! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wkE-VmjkUI

[quote=“Biohazard (Screenwriter)”]
http://www.ehow.com/how_107960_sell-screenplay.html Here’s all you need to know my fellow underlings![/quote]

Thx for the link, but tell us more about your project :wink:

And btw, yeah ESOTSM is awesome :smiley:

Debbin Hoff, a young and disenchanted bank teller turns to a life of crime where he loses his humanity. And along the road of recovery he meets a long lost friend, Cynthia Lofton, a woman who he’s madly in love with. The conflict stems from her her relationship with another man; so Debbin has to convince her to be with him. It’s a drama/caper. I think the charm about my script is that it eludes most cliches you would find in one of those formula movies like “The Family Stone”.

Cool…

How did you sell you script ? Can you tell us more about that ?

Well the first thing you would want to do is, copyright your material after you have finished the script, upload your pdf. file and use a credit card or banking account to do it. The second thing I did was a treatment, which is basically a highlight of the most important scenes in your script, so it should be about 30 to 40 pages long. After doing so I rented a few movies that are similar to what I had written, which is a low-budget, character driven films, by the way Lionsgate has a plethora of low-budget films that are usually recognized. Like the entire Saw series, Paul Haggis’ Crash, Akeelah and the Bee, which is a tremendous , unappreciated film. When the closing credits appear after these films just look for a producer, search him up on yahoo and look at the material that he’s most intrested in. After you have found a producer’s name that has interest in movies, like your own, search any offices and ask for his contact info. Los Angeles

Lionsgate

2700 Colorado Ave.

Santa Monica, CA 90404

Telephone (310) 449-9200

Facsimile (310) 255-3870 I used this one, I contacted his assistant through e-mail, tell them that you have written a speculative screenplay that might benefit their company, give her a log line about your script, copyright serial number, your name, phone number, e-mail. . . Then she will give you an adress to mail your screenplay, which has to be binded and contain personal info on the front page. After 2 weeks you will receive an e-mail that your material has been reviewed by a reader, thereafter you wait another week where they give you the news. Since I sold my material all rights now belong to Lionsgate, So they can re-write it and tamper with it. It kind of sucks, cuz I really spent a lot of time on it. And cool part about it is, if my movie gets comissioned for production I get more money, but that’s only if it ever gets made. My fingers are crossed.

I don’t really understand the copyrighting part, because under Australian Copyright Law, copyright protection is automatic, and no symbol is required. And there isn’t even a registration system for copyright in Australia. Maybe I will just mail the script to myself and keep it unopened with the postmark on it. The poor man’s copyright…

Congrats BioHazzard!! Great info btw. Somethings I hadn’t thought of when it comes to promoting to production houses. I’m still cleaning up my one baby. More action they say, which changes a lot. But, who knows. It’s that change that may make it something worth reading.

Well the first thing you would want to do is, copyright your material after you have finished the script, upload your pdf. file and use a credit card or banking account to do it. The second thing I did was a treatment, which is basically a highlight of the most important scenes in your script, so it should be about 30 to 40 pages long. After doing so I rented a few movies that are similar to what I had written, which is a low-budget, character driven films, by the way Lionsgate has a plethora of low-budget films that are usually recognized. Like the entire Saw series, Paul Haggis’ Crash, Akeelah and the Bee, which is a tremendous , unappreciated film. When the closing credits appear after these films just look for a producer, search him up on yahoo and look at the material that he’s most intrested in. After you have found a producer’s name that has interest in movies, like your own, search any offices and ask for his contact info. Los Angeles

Lionsgate

2700 Colorado Ave.

Santa Monica, CA 90404

Telephone (310) 449-9200

Facsimile (310) 255-3870 I used this one, I contacted his assistant through e-mail, tell them that you have written a speculative screenplay that might benefit their company, give her a log line about your script, copyright serial number, your name, phone number, e-mail. . . Then she will give you an adress to mail your screenplay, which has to be binded and contain personal info on the front page. After 2 weeks you will receive an e-mail that your material has been reviewed by a reader, thereafter you wait another week where they give you the news. Since I sold my material all rights now belong to Lionsgate, So they can re-write it and tamper with it. It kind of sucks, cuz I really spent a lot of time on it. And cool part about it is, if my movie gets comissioned for production I get more money, but that’s only if it ever gets made. My fingers are crossed.
[/quote]

Well, great info ! Keep telling us news. My fingers are crossed for you too.

Did that take time to get an answer too have a reply by the assistante ?

They put you on hold many times, but its okay, i’m a patient person.

They put you on hold many times, but its okay, i’m a patient person.
[/quote]

You have to in this business for sure !

Why don’t you post the pdf file.

Congratulations! (very late though)

I was just curious, you said the script took you 6 years to finish, and your profile says you’re 19, what, did you start writing it when you were 13?

[quote=“Bleach”]
Congratulations! (very late though)

I was just curious, you said the script took you 6 years to finish, and your profile says you’re 19, what, did you start writing it when you were 13?
[/quote]

I think we have a teller of fibs on our hands?