The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

The John Wayne Appreciation Thread!

John Wayne (May 26, 1907 – June 11, 1979), born Marion Robert Morrison and later changed to Marion Michael Morrison, popularly known as the “Duke,” was an iconic,Academy Award-winning,American film actor. He epitomized rugged individualistic masculinity, and has become an enduring American icon. He is famous for his distinctive voice, walk and height. In 1999, the American Film Institute named Wayne thirteenth among the Greatest Male Stars of All Time. A Harris Poll released in 2007 placed Wayne third among America’s favorite film stars, the only deceased star on the list and the only one who has appeared on the poll every year.

His career began in silent movies in the 1920s and he was a major star from the 1940s to the 1970s. He is closely associated with Westerns and World War II epics, but he also made a wide range of films from various genres, biographies, romantic comedies, police dramas, and more.

Some of my favorites are:

The Searchers

Rio Bravo

Stagecoach

The Sons of Katie Elder

Fort Apache

El Dorado

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Films I havent seen yet but own

True Grit

Rio Grande

Some films I want to see

The Shootist

The Quiet Man

The Sands of Iwo Jima

The Longest Day

you never seen longest day :o. Sands of iwa jima is great, Striker. and quite man may be my favorite john wayne film.

Yeah, Sands of Iwo Jima is fucking great.

BTW, great thread ;D

yea i was actually sad at the end of that film.

“Is that you John Wayne…”

My name says enough.

a question i always wanted to ask.

Wayne or Eastwood?

Van Cleef

seriously?

Seriously, John Wayne would bend Eastwood over his knee and give him the spanking of his life.

yes i know but eastwood’s GBU destroys all john wayne’s films.

When I was younger and (even now to a certain extent), I loved John Wayne. I loved his films and him as an actor starring in them. However, the racism (his belief in white supremacy in America etc.) overshadows all of this somewhat.

Given a choice, I’d pick Eastwood anyday. But I have seen more John Wayne performances than Eastwood. Wayne virtually half-owns my favourite film genre. There is no choice but to love him - on screen.

Got to agree with you there ify.

I dunno…tough decision…I can’t choose.

[quote=“Jjp”]
a question i always wanted to ask.

Wayne or Eastwood?
[/quote]
Definitely Eastwood

I had a friend in college who was a Sigma Chi - as was John Wayne. He had a book about John Wayne that was full of facts about the man that few people know about. According to the book, John Wayne was so racist that he would not board an airplane if a black person were on it. It is said that he could drink two bottles of whiskey without blinking an eye as well. A drunken racist…now that’s what I call a hero! :frowning:

An entry in the logbook of director John Ford’s yacht “Araner”, during a voyage along the Baja peninsula, made a reference to one of Wayne’s pranks on Ward Bond: "Caught the first mate [Wayne] pissing in [Ward] Bond’s flask this morning - must remember to give him a raise."

He and his drinking buddy, actor Ward Bond, frequently played practical jokes on each other. In one incident, Bond bet Wayne that they could stand on opposite sides of a newspaper and Wayne wouldn’t be able to hit him. Bond set a sheet of newspaper down in a doorway, Wayne stood on one end, and Bond slammed the door in his face, shouting “Try and hit me now!” Wayne responded by sending his fist through the door, flooring Bond (and winning the bet).

More fun stories at IMDB.com

[quote=“Ify”]
When I was younger and (even now to a certain extent), I loved John Wayne. I loved his films and him as an actor starring in them. However, the racism (his belief in white supremacy in America etc.) overshadows all of this somewhat.
[/quote]

YESS!!!!. You're right. And people are always talking about how Spike Lee is a racist, and how they hate him and won't support his movies, but those same people love John Waynes racist butt. When Marlon Brando won best actor for The Godfather and sent an Indian lady to not accept the award and give a speech against how Native Americans Indians were and are treated here in America, people had to hold John Wayne back backstage because he want to ripp her throat out.

Ify, I'm glad you braught this up, because it does overshadow his films. I might get some backlash for this but it's fine.

I've scene some of his when I was young and they're ok.

I love John Wayne…saying that The Good the Bad and the Ugly is superior to any Duke movie is wrong though, the Searchers and Hondo are very very good films. I used to think that Eastwood was so much better than the Duke too, but after watching some of his movies, Ive concluded that John Wayne was very much a badass in his own right