The Greatest Movie of All Time?

[quote=“G”]
Best movie of Orson Welles is Touch Of Evil in my opinion. What’s yours?
[/quote]

It’d probably be Touch of Evil too. But I love The Trial and The Lady from Shangai.

Talking about The Godfather 2, no need to think you’re different if you love The Godfather 2, that’s not the most underrated of the saga, The Godfather 3 is. So if you pretend that you’re more a Godfather fan cause you do love the second opus more, ask yourself if you’re really a fan of the saga if you love or not the third opus. That’s the real testing, not The Godfather 2.

I know I’ve seen this topic before over the years and I wanted to merge it because I hate repeats, but I couldn’t find any of them. So what the hell.

This topic strikes me as another favourite film type of topic. I mean, what’s the difference between the greatest film ever made (in your opinion) and your favourite film?

For greatest film ever made, critics will say one of the following generally:

Rules of the Game (Renoir)

Citizen Kane (Welles)

Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein)

Tokyo Story (Ozu)

Vertigo (Hitchcock)

Sunrise (Murnau)

What does this mean?

Basically nothing as far as I am concerned. Although, all of them are great films.

If I was going to say my favourite Orson Welles film, it would be Mr. Arkadin (Criterion’s recent Comprehensive version).

From the Welles films that I have seen, I have to say my favorite of his work was The Trial. Absolutely intense, dark and surreal. Just a masterpiece.

Hi!

These are my all time favorite movies

1. 300
  2. Titanic
  3. Lord of The Ring
  4. Fast And Furious
  5. Gone in 60 Seconds.

fight club hands down

Fantastic story, amazing direction and great cast what else could ya ask for

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]fight club hands down

Fantastic story, amazing direction and great cast what else could ya ask for[/quote]
Fight Club sucked balls. Shawshank Redemption is the greatest ever made.

Apocalypse Now is the greatest movie ever made!!

For me, the greatest movie ever made is Pulp Fiction.

Aside from any QT films, I would say The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Shawshank Redemption and The Godfather are the other 3 greatest films I have ever seen.

But the official greatest movie ever made is Citizen Kane.

I’m gonna give my vote to “Legends of the Fall”.

Avatar is the greatest movie of all-time.The most important movie of the decade though.The movie was great for what it was, thoroughly entertaining and a pure spectacle. But I would take quite a few movies over it that were released in 09.

Transformers 2 was a visual spectacle too. Why isn’t it a contender for the greatest movie of the decade then? Because it had no plot? Oh right, and Avatar had that stolen plot from Pocahontas, and that is much better?

IMO: Robots > Primitive alien race.

The greatest movie of all time is Taxi Driver! Not Citizen Kane, Not The Godfather and definantly not Avatar.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]The greatest movie of all time is Taxi Driver! Not Citizen Kane, Not The Godfather and definantly not Avatar.[/quote]

I thought Braveheart? You’re suddenly a different person. It’s like you suddenly matured one unsuspecting weekend.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”][quote=“Mr.Pink”]The greatest movie of all time is Taxi Driver! Not Citizen Kane, Not The Godfather and definantly not Avatar.[/quote]

I thought Braveheart? You’re suddenly a different person. It’s like you suddenly matured one unsuspecting weekend.[/quote]
Read the first post of this thread I always said it was Taxi Driver.

[quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]Transformers 2 was a visual spectacle too. Why isn’t it a contender for the greatest movie of the decade then? Because it had no plot? Oh right, and Avatar had that stolen plot from Pocahontas, and that is much better?

IMO: Robots > Primitive alien race.[/quote]

Lolcats!

[quote=“cherrydarling”][quote=“Col. Crazy Kenneth”]Transformers 2 was a visual spectacle too. Why isn’t it a contender for the greatest movie of the decade then? Because it had no plot? Oh right, and Avatar had that stolen plot from Pocahontas, and that is much better?

IMO: Robots > Primitive alien race.[/quote]

Lolcats![/quote]

?

lolcats pwn them both, for sure. ;D

Whenever I go to type ‘lol’, all I can think of is lolcats.

This is AVATAAR!..

Can’t say just one movie, so I say few I like a lot. And these are only my favourite movies, can’t really tell does that mean they are the greatest of all time.

-Once Upon a Time in America

So fucking brilliant movie. Although Once Upon a Time in the West is also a great movie, the best western directed by Leone but it’s kinda hard to compare these two movies but I think I like the “America” more.

-Donnie Darko

I never before cried just because the greatness of the script. This movie is so beautiful and yet humorous. Amazing piece of work.

-There Will Be Blood

I think saying anything of this movie is unnecessary 'cause we all know how fucking brilliant movie this is. Especially I love the way it’s shot, very beautiful, powerful, ambitious pictures. And Daniel Day Lewis. And Paul Dano. Wow.

-Pulp Fiction

I don’t even know how many times I’ve seen this. I believe many on this forum has the same situation.

-Lost in Translation

Beautiful, cute, humorous. A nice romantic movie.

-Battle Royale

Stunning and very violent. Even QT has stated that this is the movie he would’ve liked to direct. And I don’t blame him.

-The Man Without a Past (Mies vailla menneisyyttä)

Finnish filmmaker Aki Kaurismäki’s best movie. He has a very unique style that is in all of his movies.

-Taxi Driver

I love the Martin Scorsese films I’ve seen and I think this is his best piece of work. Robert De Niro pulls of a performance of his life.

Of course there’s many many great movies I didn’t list but I found these (and many more) most precious to me. And this is how I feel now. I think if I make a list five years later, it will contain many different movies but it doesn’t change the fact that the movies on my list now are good.