The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

The briefcase topic

Whilst we’re on the gold glow subject, I love how in the anime sequence in Kill Bill, when the Yakuza shoot their guns, you see a gold glow over the screen just like when people shoot in Pulp Fiction. It always brings a tear to my eye. :’(

[quote=“hughesy7187”]
I read that QT said that it is no more than a mac guffin! I really want to beleive that it is not and that it is Wallaces soul or somthing else cool!!
[/quote]

It was no more than a Mac Guffin. Even when Tarantino refers to it he says he has an opinion on what was in the briefcase. He never says what he thinks it is, is right. It is no one thing. The reason he won’t tell us is because if he tells us what he thinks it is, then everyone will just think that it is the definitive answer. He doesn’t want that. He wants everyone to have their own opinion as to what is in there.

There’s nothing wrong with it being a Mac Guffin. That is just a filmmaking term for something that advances the plot. It’s a technical term and in the world of the film, it doesn’t exist. In the world of the film, the contents of that briefcase is whatever the hell you want it to be.

It’s two golden dildos ready to inserted into someone that rhymes with Puma Furman.

A golden muffin.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[quote=“Biohazard”]
A golden muffin.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[/quote]

But if its made of gold how do you eat it?

[quote=“Bad Max”]
It’s two golden dildos ready to inserted into someone that rhymes with Puma Furman.
[/quote]
[quote=“Biohazard”]
A golden muffin.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
[/quote]

damn. you guys are so funny. I’ve been away for a while, now I’m back a little on QTA and I just laugh my ass off. I missed you!

I didn’t miss you…

…Nah just kidding! Love Ya! Gimme some sugah’ :-*

Aww, there’s so much love in there.

I’ve had many moments where I’ve shut the fuck up and contemplated what was in the briefcase. I’ve debated with friends over this issue. I’ve finally decided that what was in the briefcase was the script cause it’s the best fuckin script ever no doubt so yeah, theres my theory. Who fucking knows. Myabe it’s Uma nude pics. MMMMM, Johnny would have creamed himself over it :slight_smile:

When Tarantino says the briefcase contains whatever each person wants it to contain,he is referring to the characters, not just the audience. For Jules it contains enlightenment. This ‘dramatically alters the meaning of the movie’ because it is part of its Buddhist theme. Jules has wisdom and is seeking enlightenment (recall when he says what is in the briefcase is ‘not mine’). Jules knows what each of the other sees in the case (Vincent drugs, Marsellus money, Ringo gold). Wisdom is to know others, enlightenment is to know yourself. :wink:

Butch has achieved sudden enlightenment when he awakens from his flashback of the gold watch. In the bar scene, Jules knows there is something ‘funny’ about Butch, so he runs to the bathroom with the case. The implication is that he never turns it over to Marsellus. He is to “walk the earth like Caine in Kung Fu”/“If Butch goes to Indochina”. This is the lead-in for Kill Bill (“if you see the Buddha on the road…”) :o

What (humorously or seriously) witty G or R rated thing/s, do you reckon

might have been in the PF film’s briefcase. It can be anything from real

life, the PF film and/or from the QT film world, or anything from any

other film or TV world (like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Sopranos, etc.) that

you either greatly admire, or greatly dislike.

It was Marcellus Wallace’s soul in the briefcase.

No,

The ‘soul theory’ is based on the notion that the devil removed Wallace’s soul through a ‘hole’ in the back of his neck; however, according to IMDB Trivia, Tarantino has clearly stated that Ving Rhames had a bandaid on the back of his neck to hide a scar there.

[quote=“siddhartha”]No,

The ‘soul theory’ is based on the notion that the devil removed Wallace’s soul through a ‘hole’ in the back of his neck; however, according to IMDB Trivia, Tarantino has clearly stated that Ving Rhames had a bandaid on the back of his neck to hide a scar there.[/quote]
I wasnt serious when I said his soul was in the briefcase lol.

No, It is his soul in the briefcase. Yes he has a bandaid on the back of his neck cause he had a scar there but that has nothing to do with the story.

When the devil takes your soul he removes it from the back of your neck thats why Marcellus Wallace has the bandaid not from a scar (that has nothing to do with the character) but from the devil taking your soul. The devil then put the soul in the briefcase and made the code 666 (number of the devil). The devil is Brett. Marcellus being the badass that he is got Vincent and Jules to get his soul back from the devil (Brett) and thats the story of Pulp Fiction.

Just a theory I had lying in bed last night.

-EDIT: After reading all these other posts it seems im just going over what everyone else has said lol.

[quote=“Jules_Winfield”]There’s always the theory about the soul of Marceluos Wallace which was taken from the back of his head.

Most likely it was gold.

Maybe it was an Oscar stattuet like some people say.

I dont know. Very smart move from Tarantino not to let the audience know what was in the suitcase. A very contreversial theme it has been.

J.W.[/quote]

Yeah, but i dunno. At the same time, i’ve always thought that it was a bit cop-out-ish. Building up a lot of expectation for something like that without finishing it off definitively.

It’s tough to say for sure what is in the briefcase, however I can see why many people believe that it’s a “soul” in the briefcase. I’m not going to mention all the reasons already spoken of, but the one I haven’t really heard is that in a movie that contains many religious undertones and refferences, the obvious glow that is emitted from the contents of the briefcase glow with an unnatural or supernatural nature. So, in a movie that doesn’t cover aliens or advanced technology and yet is riddled with religious connotations. It’s reasonable to suspect that it’s a soul, or the holy grail or some other highly coveted spiritual item.

I’m not a big fan of movies where you have to guess what they mean or interpret them. It’s easy to confuse and stir up pondering. The movie fails if the message is lost or not transfered in a reasonable fashion.

[quote=“Skylark”]I’m not a big fan of movies where you have to guess what they mean or interpret them. It’s easy to confuse and stir up pondering. The movie fails if the message is lost or not transfered in a reasonable fashion.[/quote]

Me too. I don’t like watching movies where viewers will possibly have different opinions or interpretations to the movie’s plot or ending. I still think it best to have it set in a clear way.

I don’t know, I enjoy the mystery involved. Of course I’d like to know what is in the briefcase. I do agree with another poster, it’s Marcelus Wallace’s Soul. Hence the band-aid on the neck.

He really does have some of the best movies out. And he’s consistent with putting out great flicks…

Thanks Q.