The briefcase topic

i was reading some of the older posts and why people think this movie is realistic i dont know that soul theory wouldent be far feched either if u can sit in a hotel froom around 7 in the morning scream knock over tables fire multible shots and then walk out and no one call the cops and you get caught for bein in there 20 minuates damn you one lucky mother fucker.

To me it’s supposed to be whatever you think it should be. That’s the beauty of it. By leaving it a mystery it will always be intriguing and remain the most impressive thing we can think of. Whatever one believes it to be, it becomes. This way we as an audience can participate in the film. As we change, it changes. It is ever evolving into our hearts desire.

One of my personal ideas, and one that continues the above thought, is that it is (in the movie world) whatever the person seeing it desires most, sort of like the mirror in the first Harry Potter book. Marselus thinks that whatever he desires will appear in the case and all you have to do is take it out. I believe, on the other hand, that it only appears in the case and you can’t take it out. It’s a trick like those of the classic trickster archetype. Whoever he bought it from is dead meat once he finds out.

The first thing I thought of though was the briefcase from “Kiss me deadly�, the Mike Hammer book and movie. It too glowed when people opened it, but with quit a different result.

Here comes El Ray with his philosophy’s again. :wink:

I hope all of his posts are like this :slight_smile: love it, Keep on truckin’!

[quote=“El Ray cannibal”]
To me it’s supposed to be whatever you think it should be. That’s the beauty of it. By leaving it a mystery it will always be intriguing and remain the most impressive thing we can think of. Whatever one believes it to be, it becomes. This way we as an audience can participate in the film. As we change, it changes. It is ever evolving into our hearts desire.

One of my personal ideas, and one that continues the above thought, is that it is (in the movie world) whatever the person seeing it desires most, sort of like the mirror in the first Harry Potter book. Marselus thinks that whatever he desires will appear in the case and all you have to do is take it out. I believe, on the other hand, that it only appears in the case and you can’t take it out. It’s a trick like those of the classic trickster archetype. Whoever he bought it from is dead meat once he finds out.

The first thing I thought of though was the briefcase from “Kiss me deadly�, the Mike Hammer book and movie. It too glowed when people opened it, but with quit a different result.

[/quote]

something like the compass from POTC: Dead Mans Chest?

Yes, but that was what you wanted most, which could change from moment to moment depending on what you are thinking about and not your hearts desire which is something deeper and more fixed. At least that’s what the writers said.

[quote=“Angel”]

Yeah, Pulp Fiction is realistic enough, but since when is a soul considered a fake ass fantasy element?

[/quote]

Well is it really a question of the film being " realistic " and the hole soul theory being a " fantasy " element… i mean i personally don’t care what’s in the brief case its not important, its a MacGuffin… but you have to admit that if it were officially announced by Tarantino him self to be a soul ( a silly hypothetical premise ) then it would be kind of out of place since the only other event if the film like it is the hole bullets missing Vincent & Jules thing…

[quote]We all have souls. I believe there is a Satan and a God, so what is so fake ass about a soul? I am not saying it is a soul, I am just saying that it isn’t out of place.[/quote]

Phh its fake ass because it relates to what some people believe rather then what most people know… which is what the film mostly deals with… but i suppose it is improper to call it fake ass… fantasy or whatever…

[quote]And how the fuck do you know that a soul doesn’t have a gold glow? You ever fucking seen a soul?.[/quote]

I wouldn’t say it’s a soul even though its cool because this question you asked made me think.. well Ringo isn’t fucking likely to have seen a soul either and he recognizes what he saw in the case.. Sorry if someone already made this argument but this topics kinda hard to follow..

I always agreed with the soul theory, but i think quentin doesent even know. I think he just left that to the imagination, hes brilliant.

I think this topic has become moot.

Tarantino has never even said that he knows, he has said that he has an idea what he thinks it is. As in, even the director only has an opinion. He doesn’t want to say because then people will think it is the right answer and the only solution.

Plus, as far as the soul theory goes, more than proving it was a soul, I was just pointing out how stupid it was to damn the soul theory and then put forward a stupid, unimaginative theory like gold. The soul theory is just as likely as anything else.

Its a gold cock ring. Its beautiful

Never seen basket case, worth watching?

[quote=“Angel”]
Tarantino has never even said that he knows, he has said that he has an idea what he thinks it is. As in, even the director only has an opinion. He doesn’t want to say because then people will think it is the right answer and the only solution.

Plus, as far as the soul theory goes, more than proving it was a soul, I was just pointing out how stupid it was to damn the soul theory and then put forward a stupid, unimaginative theory like gold. The soul theory is just as likely as anything else.
[/quote]

It’s occam’s razor - it is what it is.

somebody could write up a little essay (lets say 1 page or so), summing up all the prevailing theories out there, and then put them into the wiki. for all you bored people wasting their time eating pizza and being online, there’s something to do :wink:

My guess about the briefcase is that there’s nothing really cool and original in it, and then people starting coming up with cool things that could be in it, which were cooler than what Tarantino put in it, therefore he won’t say what’s in it. Or maybe not.

[quote=“Dantes Inferno”]
My guess about the briefcase is that there’s nothing really cool and original in it, and then people starting coming up with cool things that could be in it, which were cooler than what Tarantino put in it, therefore he won’t say what’s in it. Or maybe not.
[/quote]

I think you missed the whole point completely dood.

Tarantino doesn’t know what is in it. He has an opinion just like us. He has already stated that. He doesn’t want to tell us because then we will think that his opinion is the right answer and he believes it isn’t necessarily.

Let this topic die!

I figured out what is in the briefcase!

the stuff that came out of that guys mouth in “the green mile”

Donald Trumps hair piece …