The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

The big fat SPOILER-Thread

Here we go.

[size=180]THIS THREAD IS FULL OF SPOILERS[/size]

How do you liek the Earl McGraw Scene? I love the dialogue between him and his son #1.Bbut I don’t think the Scene drives the Script forward (don’t know how to explain it better in english :wink: ). It’s abit senseless, very cool, but senseless :wink:

My favourite line:

It’s better 'en safe. It’s Death Proof. (page 67)

Stuntman Mike’s really cool.

I think the Earl McGraw scene was primarily used as a bridge between the first and second part of the movie. Basically Death Proof is practically divided into 3 parts

First Group of Girls

Earl McGraw Scene

Second Group of Girls

I think QT needed a scene which would serve to divide the movie before introducing us to the second group of girls, if you know what I mean.

I love when Stuntman Mike touched Abernathy feet! ;D

You know what I got from that Earl/Edger/Hospital scene? Its gonna be one of those genre cliches QT flips on the audience. Why? Because unlike most slasher films, the killer is one of the (supposed victims) in the first big fat kill, also, Earl knows EXACTLY why Stuntman Mike did what he did. How the hell would anyone know from that crash, it was a SEX thing? Unless they checked his droors and saw he shot his goo. Its like he knew the whole idea behind it, why etc. Did anyone else get that? Also, he lets the killer go. Its like in Friday The 13th Pt 4 when Jason dissapears from the hospital and they dont even look for him! haha.

Also as Scar said, its like the 2 part story connecting scene. Thats right.

Hmm I haven’t seen many of these films, but it sounds logically, yeah.

in the second half I’d love to have a twist in Story. Ok, Mike gets killed but i don’t like how that process is described. The two pages where the stundgirls decide to try to kill Mike sounded a bit constructed to me.

[quote=“FrayedEnd”]
Hmm I haven’t seen many of these films, but it sounds logically, yeah.

in the second half I’d love to have a twist in Story. Ok, Mike gets killed but i don’t like how that process is described. The two pages where the stundgirls decide to try to kill Mike sounded a bit constructed to me.
[/quote]

You have to read the script in a mindset that its NOT following the rules of the standard slasher film cliches. Thats part of the experience too.

For instance at the end of an 80s slasher film, a girl would be the only one left and she would be getting chased by the killer. In DP, The GIRLS are chasing the killer. See what I mean?

But without the Twist for me the second part is just boring. The Action scenes will be fun to whatch, but you cannot fill 45 minutes with one big action scene.

Ah, ok. I think i’ll have to whatch some slasher movies :wink:

BTW: I love the scene behind the Earl McGraw part where Mike’s new car flies through the billboard :smiley:

[quote=“FrayedEnd”]
But without the Twist for me the second part is just boring. The Action scenes will be fun to whatch, but you cannot fill 45 minutes with one big action scene.
[/quote]

Theres def gonna be lots of talk in there. But according to QT its going to be have one of the best car chases on film. I’m thinking the car equivalent of The House of Blue Leaves. :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but did anybody notice that after the first crash which comes halfway through the film, Stuntman Mike does not have ONE SINGLE line of dialogue?

I forgot, is he talking to himself in his mind or saying those few lines out loud?

I don’t think he talks to anyone in the second part. He’s the silent type, which makes him even cooler in my book. 8)

Hes def one of the coolest psychos in film. Hes like one part cool rebel and one part seriously sick bastard. QT sure knows how to write em!

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that part was written for Kurt? I didnt think of Rourke ONCE while reading. No Shit.

page 70 is amazing. It will be disturbing to see the atmosphere change.

(After Mike explains the 50:50 Chance :wink: )

Thats one of the best parts of the script and the way QT writes it is genius. Its like this slow build up, then BAM, SHES FUCKED.

Ok, some other things I wish to point out -

I think the first part of the movie, which takes place almost entirely in a bar, will have the same effect as Jackie Brown has had on many of us. In the sense that it will be like hanging out with all the different characters each time we eventually watch the movie on dvd. Character interactions in a QT film are the best, you never get bored of them even if they just consist of people talking to each other for half an hour.

QT seems to have re-used many of his recurring trademarks even in the DP script. As Sylvia rightly pointed out, Stuntman Mike’s foot fetish is pretty obvious during various parts of the film. Also, the metaphorical importance of the restroom in the film is pretty evident too. Notice that two of the girls in both of the groups feel the urge to go to the restroom before the shit begins to hit the fan. (There was an interesting article floating around the net about the use of restrooms in QT films) BUT, what about the trunk shot? This film was like the most obvious one in which to use such a shot, but I do not remember QT ever giving us hints about it in the script.

And another thing, it’s real funny how QT completely trashed the Gone In 60 Seconds remake at one point; especially considering the fact that Nick Cage is gonna be starring in one of the fake trailers! ;D

Hmm no trunk-scene you’re right. But I got no idea where QT could insert a trunk-scene. Nobody ever takes out something out of his car.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Ok, some other things I wish to point out -

I think the first part of the movie, which takes place almost entirely in a bar, will have the same effect as Jackie Brown has had on many of us. In the sense that it will be like hanging out with all the different characters each time we eventually watch the movie on dvd. Character interactions in a QT film are the best, you never get bored of them even if they just consist of people talking to each other for half an hour. [/quote]

Correctamundo!

[quote=“Scarface”]BUT, what about the trunk shot? This film was like the most obvious one in which to use such a shot, but I do not remember QT ever giving us hints about it in the script.[/quote]

I thought he might switch and put a “under the hood” shot in this one instead. Remember when Zoe, Kim and Jasper are looking under the hood of the Dodge Challenger? But you never know, there still might be a trunk shot in there somewhere.

[quote=“Scarface”]And another thing, it’s real funny how QT completely trashed the Gone In 60 Seconds remake at one point; especially considering the fact that Nick Cage is gonna be starring in one of the fake trailers! ;D
[/quote]

Well, he liked the original one more than the remake I guess. I actually like both. I’m sure he has nothing against Nic Cage at all. Hes friends with the whole Coppola family.

No doubt that he’s in good terms with Nic Cage, but I won’t be surprised if QT genuinely does not like the GI60S remake. He refers to it as “that Angelina Jolie bullshit” in the script afterall. ;D

One more thing - even if DP is supposed to be a slasher movie with a car, it is also not lacking in the humor department. One of the funniest parts for me is the whole Scott & Pam first date scenario. Totally hilarious. ;D

Yes! That WAS fucking hysterical! I know people in the theater are gonna be ROTFL when that part happens. I was really laughing out loud while reading it. Thats why QT is so cool, he knows that the best horror films have really funny moments and really freaky moments.

I will have nothing to do with the thread. :slight_smile: