The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Tarantino's Reaction to Poor Box Office results?

Hey everyone!

Does anyone know how Tarantino has reacted to the poor box office performance of Grindhouse? I’ve read, listened to, and watch tons of interviews, but they all seem to be promotional and occurred before the actual release.

Now, I’d be curious to hear Quentin’s thoughts on why people aren’t going to see it, etc. Also, I wonder what he might say about his experience going to watch the film in various theaters (he said he hits up all the theaters in LA, for example).

Just curious! As much as this whole thing sucks (that it tanked hard-fucking-core), I’m glad that we all got to see it. Clearly, this is NOT something that we’ll not see again (in this exact form, that is).

-skip

It is a little early in the game to be talking about defeat. Quite frankly, I feel that only a loser would admit to poor results until the game was over. If QT were to say anything about poor results it would only give his target audience more reasons to not see the film.

I havent heard anything about QTs reaction about the box office but I know that he has never claimed that his films were for everyone. I have a feeling he doesnt care that much about the box office thing. He has never made films to be #1 at the box office anyways.

Speaking personally, I would be still be a QT fan if none of his movies were successful at the box office. I love his filmmaking, period. Money has nothing to do with why I’m a fan of his, or why Im interested in movies. Box office is the last thing on my mind when it comes to film. Im not even interested in discussions about box office (good or bad). Its not my thing.

Yes, it sucks DP didnt do a bit better. Hopefully his next film will make a bit more. And if it doesnt make the top 3? Either way, I’ll still be here. QTs the man.

I hope you guys don’t think I’m attacking QT over this. He is the absolute man, and $$ has nothing to do with my love for his films or why he makes them. I have no problems with this.

I’m never one to give up, I’m just saying that the box office totals in the first few weeks were less than anyone expected. While the war isn’t over, this initial battle has definitely been a loss (which doesn’t mean much in the long run, as I have no doubt this film will overcome this relatively minor stubbed toe).

Do I wish QT wrote a movie that was more “accessible”? Hell no! I’m sure him and RR wouldn’t do it any different if they had the chance, and I wouldn’t want them to.

No offense. I know what you’re saying. The only downside to not making alot of $$ is not being able to do another Grindhouse double feature. I think QT has a great perspective on fame and making movies and he just rolls with the punches. Noone said when he started “Youre gonna be #1 at the box office every time you make a film”. He knows whats up.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
I havent heard anything about QTs reaction about the box office but I know that he has never claimed that his films were for everyone. I have a feeling he doesnt care that much about the box office thing. He has never made films to be #1 at the box office anyways. [/quote]

I dont know about that, i remember reading a book where a fellow director, think the girl who did a segment of four rooms, said that jackie brown’s box office hit his ego hard coz everyone was warning him that you cant make art movies for a wide audience but he felt he could. he is very populace, otherwise he wouldnt do as many talk shows etc, not every director is a celebrity, i think you could argue that hardly any are.

but QT prob wouldnt take DP doing badly too hard coz for one thing most people - or reviewers at least - took the grindhouse format to be an experiment, so it wasnt ever seen as a garunteed success. and another thing is that last time he collaborated in this way, with four rooms, it was a failure too. i think most people who didnt see it probably thought it was just two short films thrown together rather than two proper features

Hes also said he wants to keep his amateur status as a filmmaker.

Of course he wants his films to do well, but thats not why hes making movies. Another thing is, Grindhouse got really good reviews, so its not that it wasnt good, it was just most average people werent into the concept or running time.

Four Rooms and Grindhouse are like night and day. One was pretty bad, the other was really good.

Being an artist is all about ups and downs.

Eccentric = Genius Film Maker = doesn’t care about $$$ = Wonderful addition to the human race.

Well I saw this one clip on You Tube of QT on an american show (don’t know which one, I think he also appeared in a farily long running sitcom. He has like longish blonde hair, thinks he’s a bit of a joker.) which presumably took place a fortnight after the release of Grindhouse. The exchange went something like this…

Presenter: Hey, welcome Quentin, nice to have you here, how are you?

QT: Yeah I’m good. I just wanted to ask - I haven’t been in the country the past two weeks and just wanted to know how well Grindhouse was doing?

Presenter: oh… well… ermmm… it was the number one non-ice-skating, non-motorcycle, non-family movie!

QT: Alriiiiiight. [High Fives presenter]. I’ve still got it!! Good to know I’ve still got it!!

Although you could tell that it was a big joke, it still disturbed me quite a bit. I immediately felt sorry for QT who tried hard not to let his feelings about the Box Office show.

I wish I could remember the guy’s name. They also did a segment where there were dolls of I think the American Survivor or other reality TV show, and they did QT’s take on it with violence and blood. QT bought the “rapist number 1” and Cherry Darling action figures, and they basically played around with them. I can’t find it on You Tube, I think it was removed. anybody know what I’m talking about?

Lets not drag this shit out. Dont try to make it a bigger deal than it is.

I heard QT nearly killed himself. :o

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Lets not drag this shit out. Dont try to make it a bigger deal than it is.
[/quote]

What are you on about? The thread was created for this.

Since when are solid box-office standings the caveat of a good film?

Yeah but I dont need to read all this stuff thats gonna blow this out of proportion. Like “I feel so bad for QT, blah blah”. Fuuuck all that. Its not that big a deal.

then why are you reading it?

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Yeah but I dont need to read all this stuff thats gonna blow this out of proportion. Like “I feel so bad for QT, blah blah”. Fuuuck all that. Its not that big a deal.
[/quote]

Well I did. I mean you could tell QT was messing around, joking and what-not. He obviously thought it was funny and he obviously saw it coming. He might not care that much, but no matter who you are, poor box office is going to hurt you. I never said it was that big a deal. Personally, I couldn’t care less how much money the film makes, as long as I get to watch it. It’s about how good a film is, not how much money it makes.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I heard QT nearly killed himself. :o
[/quote]

You need to stop listening to the voices in your head.

Its bad for his reputation as a filmmaker. Oliver stone for instance, after “Alexander” failed miserably, he was arrested for snorting coke while driving. Then he promised us a “masterpiece” which was World Trade Center, a good film, but it did miserably at the box-office as well. Point being, if Inglorious Bastards fails, and its a big “if”, QT will never be respected like he used to be like the 90s. Critics are still unsure if QT is the real deal, is he as good as people think he is? I think he’s great. But critics all over the world are starting to question his abilities.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
Its bad for his reputation as a filmmaker. Oliver stone for instance, after “Alexander” failed miserably, he was arrested for snorting coke while driving. Then he promised us a “masterpiece” which was World Trade Center, a good film, but it did miserably at the box-office as well. Point being, if Inglorious Bastards fails, and its a big “if”, QT will never be respected like he used to be like the 90s. Critics are still unsure if QT is the real deal, is he as good as people think he is? I think he’s great. But critics all over the world are starting to question his abilities.
[/quote]

Well I know that even the guys that hate Tarantino are looking forward to Inglorious Bastards. What does that tell you? A lot is riding on that film, he can’t afford to slip up. Somehow I think we won’t be disappointed!!

[quote=“Biohazard”]
[/quote]
Biohazard…that is the most intelligent thing that I have ever seen you post. Well done!