The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Tarantino Rodrigues 1 2 Punch

Last week in preperation for my viewing of OUATIMexico I was watching Desparado, EL Mariachi and From Dusk Till Dawn.

Saw the part two of FDTD and it fucking sucked. Ripping off QT’s surfer music style and the dialogue and FX were god awful. I like Robert Patrick but this flick sucked.

I have seen part 3 the HANGMAN’S DAUGHTER a while back and actually like that one.

Anyhow - I was just thinking after watching FULL TILT BOOGIE that I am dying to see QT and RR collaborate again.

If they did - what would you like to see them tackle - genre wise - story wise?

I don’t think they’ll work together very soon.

I mean, Rodriguez did OUATIM because QT told him to make a leone-esque trilogy…

I think QT and Robert might work together some time on some… i dont know… FX-heavy movie or action movie… but i dont see them working together on a standard QT movie, you know…

I’d love it if they do “Reservoir kids”! ;D Seriously though, even if I love FDTD; I prefer QT to write AND direct his own shit without collaborating with anyone.

I wouldn’t mind seeing them tackle something on TV - like QT did with ER - by the way is that episode on the first ER DVD that was on TV?

anyhow - I think that Robert did a great job capturing QT’s script in the first half of FDTD and you can even tell it during the commentary track.

[quote]I’d love it if they do “Reservoir kids”! ;D Seriously though, even if I love FDTD; I prefer QT to write AND direct his own shit without collaborating with anyone.[/quote]

You mean "Reservoir Puppies"? Yeah, I hear a trilogy is in the works. The last one will be in 3d.

I really dont like the collaboration thing. Its not necessary. Id much rather see QT do his own work.

What I wanna know is what RR plans to do now. Mariachi is over, Spy Brats too. Whats next on his list?

yeah - I don’t know what RR is planning on doing.

I just like his style and his devotion to film making.

Only problem he has is story telling - it’s all choppy.

I agree. I felt that OUTIM had a lot of dialogue, but not a very thorough story. I didn’t really get drawn into the story like i do with QT’s stuff. It seemed like just a bunch of stuff happening for no reason.

Oh come on, I thought OUATIM was pretty damn good without QT’s help. Not saying that it wouldn’t be better with QT, but I though it was real entertaining. There wasn’t anything bad with the story. It wasn’t that bad. However, I would’ve liked to see QT do some kind of cameo. Yes I know he died in Desperado, but I mean dress up as another character and get shot again. You know, like Cheech does.

What do you guys really think of Rodriguez? Do you think hes an important filmmaker with something original and different to say, another “get rich on explosions and guns” Michael Bay type or just a dumbed down version of QT?

Do you think he’d be better off just directing for hire instead of doing his own franchise after franchise?

Do you think hes really in the business just for the money?

Your thoughts?

I think that RR is a very important director/writer. He should make his own stuff, in exeptions to opportunites like FDTD. He makes damn good movies. I think that he makes some of the best action movies around today. His action scenes are always very origional, and always have some sense of humor and fantasy about them. He is also one of the most insperational directors around, evertime I watch one of his movies, I wanna go make one myself, because he really tells you that you can, for cheap, and you don’t need any fucking film school. When he showed one of his film school teachers El Mariachi, the teacher said it was crap, and would never go any where. How much did that prick know? RR tells you that you should never listen to anybody that tells you, you can’t do it without school. He is amazing, I hope he keeps up the kick ass flicks.

Spy Kids was better than any other kid bullshit out now, fucking cody banks.

just look at what he does: He practically makes the first movie every REALLY using High-Definition, he composes his own score, he edits himself, he operates his cameras, he directs, he writes, he produces and probably even brings the donuts to the set :wink:

Technically, he’s something like a second Spielberg, but YET he hasn’t delivered a landmark movie, that he still has to deliver, a movie that would establish him as someone with influence…

[quote]Oh come on, I thought OUATIM was pretty damn good without QT’s help. Not saying that it wouldn’t be better with QT, but I though it was real entertaining. There wasn’t anything bad with the story. It wasn’t that bad. However, I would’ve liked to see QT do some kind of cameo. Yes I know he died in Desperado, but I mean dress up as another character and get shot again. You know, like Cheech does.[/quote]

or like danny trejo or the other people he had in desparado who returend from the dead on screen to play different characters

anyhow - the story was just too choppy to me and I wish they elaborated more on dafoe and rourke’s characters instead of the generals

I don’t think Rodriguez and Tarantino would work together again, they are both too big now. The only way I could see it work is if Tarantino gave Rodriguez a script to direct (coherant narrative does seem to be Rodriguez’ weakest point). They seem to have highly contrasting work ethics, too. Rodriquez stated in the Vanity Faire that (I’m Paraphrasing) “I don’t understand why Quentin doesn’t make more movies and Quentin can’t understand why I make so many” (QT must have seen spy kids 3).

Who knows, QT has Three WWII scripts, perhaps one he would give to Robert.

The next project I’ve heard rumors about for Rodriguez is an animated film. No idea what it would be about, though. Rodriguez has also been talking about doing two more movies featuring the Sands character from OUATIM, making two trilogies out of only five movies. He seemed to be half joking, though you never know with Rodriguez. With the success of OUATIM, the studios might be clamoring for more.

Although I loved OUATIM it would be hard for me to classify Rodriguez as an “Important” director. I have a hard time classifying anyone as an “important” director because that sounds like a lot of bullshit posturing (especially without any historical perspective). People tend to construe their opinions as fact when making arguments for “importance”. Lot of wasted time and unsolvable arguments. I think a lot of people miss the fun of movies with their over-analyzing of them.

I enjoyed OUATIM, logical leaps and fractured storyline included. It worked for me.

I cant say I’m looking forward to any of Rodriguez’ future projects, hes just not my style. He can write/direct/produce/score/make donuts/build sets/catering, doesnt make me like his films any more.

I think Robert Rodriguez got to where he is at now thanks to his hard work and wild spirit, but there’s a big hole that makes the difference between Quentin and him, and that’s where Robert failed. His stories are not quite organic and intelligent.

Arre!

Dead Nigga Storage Said “Oh come on, I thought OUATIM was pretty damn good without QT’s help. Not saying that it wouldn’t be better with QT, but I though it was real entertaining. There wasn’t anything bad with the story. It wasn’t that bad. However, I would’ve liked to see QT do some kind of cameo. Yes I know he died in Desperado, but I mean dress up as another character and get shot again. You know, like Cheech does.” Sorry, for some reason the quote thing wasn’t working.

I think you’re missing my point. I thought that OUTIM was great and i liked the story, i just don’t think that he told that particular story very well. HOWEVER, i don’t think that QT and Robert Rodriguez should work together again. The reason is because of what i said. He’s not a very good storyteller. His style differs so much from QT’s that i think it is not a good idea for them to work together. RR does the action, QT does the story, but an action flick should be an action flick and a drama be all about the story. Not to that extreme, but i think you know what i mean.

You betcha compa!

Anyway, Robert Rodriguez sooner or later will find his right movie. That’ll make him jump !

Arre!

Yes my one complaint is that he should take more time on his scripts. Out of everything in his movies that should be the most important. I hope he gets better, but i think he is a good director. And yes he should have taken a smich longer on the story of OUATIM. And I do like the how he inspires future filmmakers to go for it cause it can be done.

Just saw Spy Kids for the first time yesterday - and it wasn’t bad at all for a family film and the editing was done well.

Spy Kids 3-D however was kinda weak