The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Tarantino and pt anderson comparisons

ok, here are my comparisons between pt anderson and quentin tarantino, or at least, their films:

1. both their debuts (res dogs and Hard eight) were critically aclaimed but did not recieve a lot of box office money…both werte shot on very low budgets…
  2. their 2nd movies (p fiction and boogie nights) put them on the map-they earned attention and critical acclaim for their sophmore efforts…both were around 2 and 1/2 hours long…both had a bit higher of a budget than the last one…pulp fiction is seems to be the film most frequently called qt’s best film-boogie nights seems to be the film most frequenty called pta’s best film…
  3. their third films (jackie brown and magnolia) were both sort of part of the love it or hate it type…many called both of these movies overlong and boring…lots of fans of each director thought that they should have stuck to the roots and genre of their 2nd film…both were not as widely acclaimed as their sophmore films…
  4. their fourth films (kill bill and punch drunk love-ps Im counting kill bill as one film because essentially that is what it is) got pretty good reviews, and were both pretty twisted…both (meaning vol. 1 and pdl) were only an hour and a half long after some very long films being their predeccesors

oh, and, I forgot something: both are eagerly awaited for their next films…

I already read this on imdb, so either you’re repeating youreslf on here or you’re a thief of ideas. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s one major difference for me. I love QT, I don’t like PTA. “Boogie Nights” I enjoyed and for a while I thought PTA could be on my cool list, but then I saw that piece of tripe called “Punch Drunk Love” and changed my opinion. I’ve never seen “Magnolia”, and since I heard it’s boringly long and features stupid things like frogs falling fom the sky I’m not too eager to see it either.

Heres my comparison: QT makes exciting genre films and PTA makes boring crap.

I’d have to disagree. Punch Drunk Love was fantastic, and so was Magnolia.

Comparisons that actually have to do with the films:

Both Tarantino and Anderson are amazingly gifted writers, able to switch tones and moods at a drop of a hat.

Also, they are the best at using pop music to (under)score their films in the Scorsese tradition. (Wes Anderson also does this extremely well).

Non-film related: These two are also the most compulsively readable interviewees.

PTA is a amazing film director!!! BUt wait…i forgot this is the Tarantino board so it doesnt really matter right? You bunch of close minded bastards…and Scarface…you are a fucking faggot for calling Magnolia boring and stupid without even have watching it…you know what I think?..the movie “Scarface” is FUCKING OVERRATTED!!! i could name 5 gangster movies off the top my head better than Scarface…Goodfellas alone shits all over Scarface

Scarface = Most overratted movie of all time!!!

thats right i said it

just cause youve seen a million rappers on Cribs with a copy of Scarface and hearing how much they love it, doesnt make the movie all that great…this coming from a big gangster movie/Al Pacino fan

Another comparisson between QT and PTA is they are both really good friends

[quote]PTA is a amazing film director!!! BUt wait…i forgot this is the Tarantino board so it doesnt really matter right? You bunch of close minded bastards…and Scarface…you are a fucking faggot for calling Magnolia boring and stupid without even have watching it…you know what I think?..the movie “Scarface” is FUCKING OVERRATTED!!! i could name 5 gangster movies off the top my head better than Scarface…Goodfellas alone shits all over Scarface

thats right i said it

just cause youve seen a million rappers on Cribs with a copy of Scarface and hearing how much they love it, doesnt make the movie all that great…this coming from a big gangster movie/Al Pacino fan

[/quote]

if you actually read my post, you unattentive piece of shit, you would have noticed that I said that [i]many called them over long[/i] not, [i]they were overlong.[/i] so pay attention if you want to insult me you idiotic batsard. and yes, you are right, scarface is fuckin' overrated, I completely agree. and yes, these poeple are a bunch of close-minded bastards, I agree.

[quote]PTA is a amazing film director!!! BUt wait…i forgot this is the Tarantino board so it doesnt really matter right? You bunch of close minded bastards…and Scarface…you are a fucking faggot for calling Magnolia boring and stupid without even have watching it…you know what I think?..the movie “Scarface” is FUCKING OVERRATTED!!! i could name 5 gangster movies off the top my head better than Scarface…Goodfellas alone shits all over Scarface

thats right i said it

[/quote]

I could give two shits if you don’t like Scarface, and I don’t know why you should give a shit if I don’t like PTA. It’s called an opinion asshole, and that doesn’t make me close-minded either. I could mention a 100 directors who shit all over PTA’s overrated ass. And I didn’t say Magnolia is stupid, I said I heard that it’s stupid. There’s a difference, so next time read what I said before making an idiot out of yourself.

And another thing. I don’t give a fuck if QT and PTA are friends. That doesn’t mean shit.

Its funny, everytime someone says they dont like a director, the next person has to retort with a snub against a director that person likes.

“I hate PTAs movies”

"Well Scarface is overrated!!!"

Come on now. Thats just petty stuff.

DePalma’s Scarface is 100X more entertaining and influential (not just for the rappers) than any of PTA’s boring movies (Ive seen em all except PDL). Im not saying that cuz I love the movie. Im just stating the facts.

PTA may be a decent director, and he seems like a great guy, but in the realm of popular directors, hes nothing special. PTA hasnt really done anything Ive seen that excited me. Just the standard indie type snoozefests. Thanks but no thanks.

And how can you compare being friends with someone? haha

[quote]Its funny, everytime someone says they dont like a director, the next person has to retort with a snub against a director that person likes.

“I hate PTAs movies”

"Well Scarface is overrated!!!"

Come on now. Thats just petty stuff.

DePalma’s Scarface is 100X more entertaining and influential (not just for the rappers) than any of PTA’s boring movies (Ive seen em all except PDL). Im not saying that cuz I love the movie. Im just stating the facts.

PTA may be a decent director, and he seems like a great guy, but in the realm of popular directors, hes nothing special. PTA hasnt really done anything Ive seen that excited me. Just the standard indie type snoozefests. Thanks but no thanks.

And how can you compare being friends with someone? haha[/quote]

tell me, toothpickvic, how is Scarface influential??

Scarface was an influence to the crime genre, way back in 1983 you didn’t see many movies about big-time cocaine dealers with excessive violence. Notice how alotta crime films after it also used the same elements as this one.

My dear lord you’re a fucking dumbass.

[quote]Scarface was an influence to the crime genre, way back in 1983 you didn’t see many movies about big-time cocaine dealers with excessive violence. Notice how alotta crime films after it also used the same elements as this one.

My dear lord you’re a fucking dumbass.[/quote]

yeah, ok, I get your point about how scarface was sort of influential, but I still don't like it. and you can quit calling me a dumbass and stuff now, I get the point: you hate me.

FIRST OF ALL YOU FUCKING FUCKS!!!

Im not really saying anything bad about Scarface as a movie, im just saying its waaaaaay overratted. I never once said it was bad movie…assholes…bythe by brutality dog…I wasnt really responding to your post, i was really responding to Scarface’s (guy on the board) post…if any of yall really call yourselves “filmbuffs”, than you would consider movies like Magnolia and Boogie Nights reasonalbly good movies. I personally enjoy movie’s of all genre’s and have patience for a movie as complex and thoughtprovoking as Magnolia.

and Scarface…i dont care if you dont care about QT and PTA being friends, I was responding to the subject of QT and PT Anderson you dumbass

BOw before me

…oh…and ToothPicVic…your a bitch too

Scarface? Overated? Nah…

Magnolia I didn’t like, I got nothing outta it, I stared at the screen blankly thinking when it would end.

Boogie Nights is OK, but nothing great.

[quote]Scarface? Overated? Nah…

Magnolia I didn’t like, I got nothing outta it, I stared at the screen blankly thinking when it would end.

Boogie Nights is OK, but nothing great.[/quote]

Ive never seen any pt anderson stuff…I just made this post because I read a lot about the man.

[quote]FIRST OF ALL YOU FUCKING FUCKS!!!

Im not really saying anything bad about Scarface as a movie, im just saying its waaaaaay overratted. I never once said it was bad movie…assholes…bythe by brutality dog…I wasnt really responding to your post, i was really responding to Scarface’s (guy on the board) post…if any of yall really call yourselves “filmbuffs”, than you would consider movies like Magnolia and Boogie Nights reasonalbly good movies. I personally enjoy movie’s of all genre’s and have patience for a movie as complex and thoughtprovoking as Magnolia.

and Scarface…i dont care if you dont care about QT and PTA being friends, I was responding to the subject of QT and PT Anderson you dumbass

BOw before me

[/quote]

[img]http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/brain/images_27925/crying_baby.jpg[/img]

Movie_Villain: [i]"Look at me guys. I'm a fucking cry baby. Scarface and Toothpick don't like PTA , so I'm gonna begin dissing their favorite movies in the absence of any logical arguments. Oh yeah, I'm gonna use the CAPS lock too in the hope of sounding more intelligent and intimidating. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go continue suckin' PTA's dick. It really feels good sucking his wee-wee onto my gums!"[/i]

Get the fuck outta here movie_villain. QT and PTA being friends is not even a comparison you fucking idiot.

[quote]

Movie_Villain: "Look at me guys. I’m a fucking cry baby. Scarface and Toothpick don’t like PTA , so I’m gonna begin dissing their favorite movies in the absence of any logical arguments. Oh yeah, I’m gonna use the CAPS lock too in the hope of sounding more intelligent and intimidating. Now if you’ll excuse me I have to go continue suckin’ PTA’s dick. It really feels good sucking his wee-wee onto my gums!"

Get the fuck outta here movie_villain. QT and PTA being friends is not even a comparison you fucking idiot.

[/quote]

well, Scarface, you pretty muc summed that up...hehehe :-/

lol

yall fags crack me up

dissing your favorite movies without any logical arguments???

lol…so you judging Magnolia without even watching it is logical right? you fucking clown, howabout YOU get the fuck out of here, you QT dickriding Scarface loving piece of close minded shit!

sits back and waits to see what else Scarface is gonna post

If im such an attention whore than stop paying attention to me…fucking idiot

Here is my input in this situation:

Now go ahead and call me whatever because you seem like kinda fucker to repeat himself. So fuck off.