Tarantino and kubrick

[quote=“Movie_Villain”]
QT has said that Reservoir Dogs is "his “the Killing”.
[/quote]

did he say anything more? Like what he means by that?

^ Yeah, I would like to know as well.

i dont remember any more detail, if there is any more…i dont remember where i heard or read that but QT definetly said it… mabye it was on one of the Dogs dvd special features, not sure

but if u are a movie villain, how can we trust u? maybe u just wanna f*** with our minds for your own evil purposes…

[quote=“moura”]
but if u are a movie villain, how can we trust u? maybe u just wanna f*** with our minds for your own evil purposes…
[/quote]

exactly mwahahaha >:D

seriously though

i found an article where QT says The Killing inspired him, not the exact interview i was quoting but its something

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 64219.html”>http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/film--crimes-and-misdemeanours-quentin-tarantino-doesnt-lie-like-he-used-to-thanks-to-his-spectacular-debut-reservoir-dogs-the-director-puts-the-record-straight-for-sheila-johnston-1564219.html</LINK_TEXT>

thank you :slight_smile:

he said that RD was “his” killing in several interviews when rd was released. it was in the press kit also. on the DVD he says that he put Lionel White’s name on the “thank you” page of the script because he didn’t want to thank Kubrick.

why didnt he want to thank kubrick?

a quick coment off-topic: kubrick once wanted to make an holocaust movie, and at some point he considered making it to be set in german movie industry comanded by goebles hehe sounds familiar…

[quote=“moura”]
why didnt he want to thank kubrick?
[/quote]

because he’s not a kubrick fan. i just remember him saying “he’s like welles, these guys are ok, but come on…”

[quote=“moura”]
a quick coment off-topic: kubrick once wanted to make an holocaust movie, and at some point he considered making it to be set in german movie industry comanded by goebles hehe sounds familiar…
[/quote]

is that The German Lieutenant?

hehe i dont know what exact rank goebles had…but he was in charge of the nazi propaganda done in germany trough cinema, and he is featured in IB…so thats the coincidence

about quentins quote: kubrick and welles are two of my favorite directors, together with tarantino himself hehe i kind of understand him, but i also think there are more things about art and more ways to make movies then quentin is able to apreciate…:confused:

But i think that, even if i desagre with him…this radical departure of his views on cinema, from the more commom view that most of us share, together with his great talent and intelegence, are exactly what make him interesting…

Anyway, the pleasure and satisfaction ive got from kubrick and the amount of things ive learned from his movies are way beyond what quentin has given me…the bigest diference between the two, in my opinion is: quentin is all about narrative cinema and kubrick has tried since ever to make cinema become more like music, and less of a narrative form…so they are kind oposite in this sense…im glad i can enjoy both :slight_smile:

they’re very different indeed…

The german lieutenant is the title of a project kubrick never made. the script is around on the Internet… i’ve never read it. maybe that’s the film you were talking about.

oh no…didnt know about that one; i was talking about Aryan Papers, a movie about the holocaust…that quentin would certainly qualify as “anti-war misery” hehe altought i think that, had kubrick made it, it would have been more like a social analysis of the holocaust then an anti-war message, just like i dont believe Full Metal Jacket is an actual anti-war movie; i think its more an reflexion (that tries to be as objective as possible) on the vietnam war

now, another question has come to me, that seems to be even harder to answer, as Kubrick was always so silent…what did Kubrick think of Tarantino!?

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://blogs.salon.com/0003158/categori … 11/13.html”>http://blogs.salon.com/0003158/categories/generalMovies/2003/11/13.html</LINK_TEXT>

This article mentions a lot of Kubrick and Tarantino, and says that Tarantino dislikes Kubrick…its also very ofensive towards Tarentino, so if you are too sensitive, dont read it! hehe

thanks for posting that. an interesting bit:

—"Is it any wonder that, as we learn in The New Yorker piece, Tarantino was “a maniacal Brian DePalma fan,â€

you dislike hitchcock???

i love all these guys…

qt says he doesn’t really like kubrick but the killing and clockwork orange were on his “coolest films of all time” list

yea, ya know, QT is great and everything, and i can kind of see where he’s coming from in not liking Kubrick, but i disagree with Q on this one…Kubrick was a cinematic genius, one of my favorites…his camera shots and movements, the scores, the cinematography, every single film from Kubrick was different…so yea, I love me some Kubrick…Welles, on the other hand…I dont know to much other than Citizen Kane

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
you dislike hitchcock???
[/quote]

no i didn’t say that. but he’s not as magical to me as to many others.