The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

T.V.'s Crocodile Hunter killed (Sept. 04 06)

Australia’s ‘Crocodile Hunter’ Killed on Diving Expedition

By REUTERS

Published: September 4, 2006

SYDNEY, Sept 4 (Reuters) - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, was killed by a stingray barb through the chest on Monday while diving off Australia’s northeast coast, emergency officials and witnesses said.

Lucy Nicholson/Associated Press

Steve Irwin’s television program, “Crocodile Hunter,” has aired around the world.

“Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest,” said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred.

“He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury,” he said.

Police and ambulance officials later confirmed Irwin had died and said his family had been advised.

Irwin, 44, was killed while filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas.

Irwin had been diving off his boat “Croc One” near Batt Reef northeast of Port Douglas. A helicopter had taken paramedics to nearby Low Isles where Irwin was taken for medical treatment but he was dead before they arrived, police said.

Irwin won a global following for his dare-devil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

He made almost 50 of his “Crocodile Hunter” documentaries which appeared on cable TV channel Animal Planet and won a worldwide audience.

The series ended after he was criticised for the incident with his young son and for disturbing whales, seals and penguins while filming in Antarctica.

Khaki-clad Irwin became famous for his seemingly death-defying methods with wild animals, including crocodiles and snakes.

He made a cameo appearance alongside Eddie Murphy in the 2001 Hollywood film Dr Dolittle 2 and appeared on U.S. television shows such as “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” and on children’s television alongside The Wiggles.

Irwin was married with two children, Bindi Sue and Bob Clarence. His American-born wife Terri was his business partner and frequent on-screen collaborator.

Sorry but that guy was an idiot. It was only a matter of time before he got killed. ì

I must admit… He was…kinda…wierd. And that’s putting it mild.

I feel sorry for him. RIP Steve Irwin.

His father was into reptiles. He just loved animals and what he did. You can’t criticise him for that. It’s all over the news now. Australians are shocked. I am not really that shocked. It is just a little surreal. He was a good bloke. RIP Steve.

yeah this is all over the internet. so sad. i wish he would still be with us, he was a great entertainer and an iconic character.

Yeah, he was cool. RIP, mate.

and right on my birthday damn. crocs rule!

Shit! It was so great watching his show, you could really see how much he loved it… RIP

Hunting crocodiles ain’t cool. Except if you’re Crocodile Dundee.

“You play with matches, you get burned” - Vincent Vega

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Sorry but that guy was an idiot. It was only a matter of time before he got killed. ì
[/quote]

Trust you to come out with something as retarded as that at such a time. Have you no respect?

Don’t fucking answer, dumbass.

Pink Pussy, dont fuckin even start with me you motherfucking loser. I wasnt even talking to you and yes Steve Irwin was a fucking IDIOT. Why the hell should I feel bad for some IDIOT who held his child in front of a crocodile?

You WOULD feel bad for him because your a fucking retard like he was.

And dont even bother addressing me because I dont like you.

I feel bad for his wife and kids but not him, thats for DAMN sure. 0

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
I feel bad for his wife and kids but not him, thats for DAMN sure. 0
[/quote]

For someone with 3000+ posts that has been here this long, you sure do double-post a lot. DO you not know what the “Edit” button is? How retarded can you get?

Don’t answer.

Ok, I’m going to do something that I dont usually do. Lets end this shit today because I’m not going to start another mini war in here. Its not worth my time or anyone elses.

Lets call it even, I insulted you, you insulted me. Time to grow up and move on.

OK?

Funny how an argument in 1 topic always finds its time to pollute the entire forum with childish bullshit.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Ok, I’m going to do something that I dont usually do. Lets end this shit today because I’m not going to start another mini war in here. Its not worth my time or anyone elses.

Lets call it even, I insulted you, you insulted me. Time to grow up and move on.

OK?
[/quote]

Well this little “mini war” started when I replied to your post in the Hitch or QT Thread with the best possible intentions and you took it really badly and started bad mouthing me, calling me names and stuff. What the fuck was up with that?

I don’t give a shit about you to really care about this whole thing, I just like getting kicks out of it. You want to end this, fine we’ll end it, just don’t take things to heart next time.

[quote=“The Pink Floyd”]
Well this little “mini war” started when I replied to your post in the Hitch or QT Thread with the best possible intentions and you took it really badly and started bad mout hing me, calling me names and stuff. What the fuck was up with that? [/quote]

I apologize for that, I overracted a little.

[quote=“The Pink Floyd”] I don’t give a shit about you to really care about this whole thing, I just like getting kicks out of it. You want to end this, fine we’ll end it, just don’t take things to heart next time.
[/quote]

I didnt ask you to care about me, cmon. I dont know you and I dont really want to. If you get kicks out of fighting and stirring shit up with people, thats your own thing. I personally dont do it, unless its something I’m passionate about. Being a troublemaker on purpose isnt cool. Thats just trolling.

* stares at WinslowLeach with surprise *

• Leans forward *

• Whiny voice * “You overreacted?”