The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Sydney Pollack dies

US film director and producer Sydney Pollack has died of cancer, aged 73.

He won producing and directing Oscars for the epic romance Out of Africa, starring Robert Redford and Meryl Streep, in 1985.

He also directed Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie, plus The Way We Were, in which Redford partnered Barbra Streisand.

He died on Monday, surrounded by family members, at his home in Pacific Palisades in Los Angeles. He had been diagnosed with cancer 10 months ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7420864.stm

It’s a bit surprising that he dies. I watched an episode of The Sopranos with him two days ago. Pacino spoke about him last week during the Cannes film fest for the french TV. So weird… I didn’t even know he had a cancer…

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
It’s a bit surprising that he dies. I watched an episode of The Sopranos with him two days ago.
[/quote]

You watched the Sopranos with him?

Season 6 - part 2, when Johnny Sack is at the hospital. he plays the role of an ex-doctor who’s done a medical mistake and has now to act like a nurse, helping and cleaning the patients. :wink:

Sydney was a great director. RIP.

very sad news,rip

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Season 6 - part 2, when Johnny Sack is at the hospital. he plays the role of an ex-doctor who’s done a medical mistake and has now to act like a nurse, helping and cleaning the patients. :wink:
[/quote]

Oh yeah, his character was there because he’d murdered his wife, or something.

Yeah, exactly.

Is it just me or has there been an unusually high amount of great filmmakers dying in the last year?

I literally can’t believe that he’s dead. Like Anthony Minghella or Heath Ledger, it just seems very untimely.

He was a great director and a man that I wish I could have met. RIP.

A lot directors from the seventies dies… Imagine when Marty, Coppola, Spielberg, Lucas, De Palma will all die together… :’(