Stop remaking our precious classics!

Here’s a list of upcoming HORROR remakes and other films that have already been remade.

1. DAY OF THE DEAD 2008
  2. DAWN OF THE DEAD 2004
  3. THE CRAZIES 2009
  4. ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK 2009
  5. EVIL DEAD 2009
  6. SUSPIRIA 2008
  7. HALLOWEEN 2007
  8. THE THING 2009!!!
  9. THE FOG 2005

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0905372/

Poor Carpenter, everyone is just fucking up his great movies, I hate hollywood!

STOP THE MADNESS!

[quote=“Biohazard”]
5. EVIL DEAD 2009
[/quote]
:o

Are you fu**ing serious?

It looks like 2009 is really going to be a bad year… They are remaking some of Kurt Russell’s classics… who else could play Snake Plissken? And im sure most people wont know or care about the originals… they will talk about how cool the remakes were for about three weeks then never think about them again… the idea of remaking the thing really hurts… though i am cautiously optimistic about the rumors of it being a companion piece… if they did it from the perspective of the Norwegians that might actually work… “Se til helvete og kom dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig! KOM DERE VEKK IDIOTER!!”

God, it’s tragic theres nothing but remakes in Hollywood and crappy reality shows on tv! Is creativity dead? I know there’s a writers strike but what the hell?

Creativity isn’t dead. Studio heads are actually really smart and their job is to make money. It’s the audiences that are stupid. As long as idiots keep buying tickets to these movies they’re going to keep making them.

it has nothing to do with lack of crativity or audiences being stupid, but with western societies being crazed with retro-culture.

Secondly: When a remake is made, it doesn’t take away any points from the originals. Psycho is still good no matter if the 90’s remake sucked or not. I like to see interpretations of old material by contemporary filmmakers.

Today, people are too overly concerned with “originality”. Storywise, 80’s Scarface is pretty much an exact remake of the 30’s one, but the 80’s style and direction made it great and a cult classic.

Just don’t expect the original when you go see a remake, duh.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
5. EVIL DEAD 2009
[/quote]

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]
:o

Are you fu**ing serious?
[/quote]

About three years go this one had a chance to become the most insteresting remake project ever. Why? After seeing Oldboy the producers asked Chan-wook Park if he wanted to direct an Evil Dead remake. Park himself is a huge Evil Dead fan but he said no.

[quote=“Biohazard”]THE THING 2009!!![/quote]
Remake a remake? That’s… well… interesting.

[quote=“Crazy_Hattori”]
it has nothing to do with lack of crativity or audiences being stupid, but with western societies being crazed with retro-culture.

Secondly: When a remake is made, it doesn’t take away any points from the originals. Psycho is still good no matter if the 90’s remake sucked or not. I like to see interpretations of old material by contemporary filmmakers.

Today, people are too overly concerned with “originality”. Storywise, 80’s Scarface is pretty much an exact remake of the 30’s one, but the 80’s style and direction made it great and a cult classic.

Just don’t expect the original when you go see a remake, duh.
[/quote]

There are exceptions, like Scarface, The Departed and Cape Fear. But nearly all remakes today are just big budget exploitation films with too much cgi. I liked Rob Zombie’s Halloween, but it wasn’t as good as the original. He would have been better off doing an original slasher film. And except for the first 15 minutes, the Dawn of the Dead remake sucked.

Audiences are stupid. It only partly has anything to do with “western societies being crazed with retro-culture.” These films aren’t aimed at people who liked the originals. The target audiences for these films are too young to even know the originals or dismiss them because the special effects are old fashioned. The same reason why stupid people don’t like black and white.

And can someone tell me how the hell Suspiria can be remade? The whole success of that film is based on images and mood. The story itself isn’t very interesting.

I agree with filmguy. I don’t think ausiences are stupid. Most movies are made for and marketed to teenage boys. Adult audiences are generally ignored.

I went to see “I am Legend” last night. This film is craptacular! Avoid it at all costs! It’s based off of Richard Matheson’s novel. It’s an awesome book but a crappy movie. The first movie made from this novel was “The Last Man on Earth” in 1964 with Vincent Price then in 1971 Charleton Heston starred in “Omega Man.”

“I am Legend” is a remake of a remake of a remake of a book. It sucked salty balls! Will Smith’s acting was ok, he reminded me of Tom Hanks in “Cast Away”. The film itself was a rip off of 28 days later with horrible CGI.

I’m just saying, sometimes remakes are ok but for the most part they suck!

[quote=“FilmGuy”]
There are exceptions, like Scarface, The Departed and Cape Fear. But nearly all remakes today are just big budget exploitation films with too much cgi. I liked Rob Zombie’s Halloween, but it wasn’t as good as the original. He would have been better off doing an original slasher film. And except for the first 15 minutes, the Dawn of the Dead remake sucked.

Audiences are stupid. It only partly has anything to do with “western societies being crazed with retro-culture.” These films aren’t aimed at people who liked the originals. The target audiences for these films are too young to even know the originals or dismiss them because the special effects are old fashioned. The same reason why stupid people don’t like black and white.

And can someone tell me how the hell Suspiria can be remade? The whole success of that film is based on images and mood. The story itself isn’t very interesting.
[/quote]

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
About three years go this one had a chance to become the most insteresting remake project ever. Why? After seeing Oldboy the producers asked Chan-wook Park if he wanted to direct an Evil Dead remake. Park himself is a huge Evil Dead fan but he said no.
[/quote]

Did he give any reason why?

[quote=“LadySnow”]

“I am Legend” is a remake of a remake of a remake of a book. It sucked salty balls! Will Smith’s acting was ok, he reminded me of Tom Hanks in “Cast Away”. The film itself was a rip off of 28 days later with horrible CGI.

[/quote]

Uhh this is a little confuseing… dont you mean a remake of a remake of a remake of an adaption of a book… its number 4… 1954 novel I Am Legend; following 1964’s The Last Man on Earth, 1971’s The Omega Man and the 2007 DTV feature I Am Omega. Then I Am Legend is a 2007… really though i dont think any of them are true remakes they are all each just an independent adaption of the book…

Yes, that’s exactly what I meant to say. Regardless, do we really need to have several remakes or adaptations of the same book?! The novel “I am Legend” was a good read. The movie “I am Legend” sucked.

Does this make more sense?

[quote]Uhh this is a little confuseing… dont you mean a remake of a remake of a remake of an adaption of a book… its number 4… 1954 novel I Am Legend; following 1964’s The Last Man on Earth, 1971’s The Omega Man and the 2007 DTV feature I Am Omega. Then I Am Legend is a 2007… really though i dont think any of them are true remakes they are all each just an independent adaption of the book…
[/quote]

[quote=“LadySnow”]
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant to say. Regardless, do we really need to have several remakes or adaptations of the same book?! The novel “I am Legend” was a good read. The movie “I am Legend” sucked.

[/quote]

Well they haven’t got it right yet… i wouldn’t mind seeing a good adaptation… The Omega mans good for a laugh though…

I Am Legend isnt that bad. Its far better than Omega Man and Ive always liked that one for its campy feel.

[quote=“Thousand Eyes”]
Did he give any reason why?
[/quote]

I don’t think so.