Steven Spielberg

Oh? Praytell.

[quote=“Yasmin”]
I’ve never heard anything more stupid in my life.

I think you just used that as an excuse because of your inhability to accept what a truly good filmmaker Steven is.

Cashing in on the Holocaust? Steven made no money from that movie and as a Jewish man, he had every right to tell that story. Some people have no tolerence for books or documentries so through movies, we have an opportunity to learn more about history.
[/quote]

I was merely referencing to a scientific discussion on the case of the inabiltity to portray the holocaust in a good manner. If there ever is a way it’s more expressed in the way that shows respect to the victims and survivors. Expressed in a way that discusses the inability to show anything that concerns the holocaust. By watching a movie on the holocaust it gives the illusion that it is graspable what happened. That is, in many people’s eyes not the way to do it. Spielberg uses a hollywoodian form, with cheap thrills and effects in a cliché: oh look the bad guy can be good too, manner, which is intellectually insulting. I don’t think something like the holocaust, which blows up all the foundations of modern western thought can be used in this fashion.

If you learn your history through a movie than of course most of any sensebility will be lost on you. In that way it is indeed nice that people have some recognition of what happened. But what it has turned out to be is, and this is quite sad, the standard for how a lot of people look at the holocaust. Mostly its the only thing people even know about it. I don’t think that a hollywoodian story can/ or should serve for this purpose.

I ain’t against Spielberg, I love most of his movies, I just have a problem with Schindler’s List.

Spielberg is God. Tarantino is Jesus.

[quote=“VikingWithNoName”]
Spielberg is God. Tarantino is Jesus.
[/quote]

what? spielberg might be a good director. but he’s boring… insert flame war now

Nick and Simon are working on TinTin with Spielberg right now. Just thought I’d throw that in.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
what? spielberg might be a good director. but he’s boring… insert flame war now
[/quote]

Hell no, Spielberg has some kickass movies out, even if they are mostly family ventures.

Saving Private Ryan is the be all, end all WWII movies in my opinion.

Action-wise, YES. But it just didn’t conjure up enough emotions for me. All the American flag waving and other Americanisms prevented me (and I suspect a whole lot of others) from liking this film as much as we should have. Tis a shame. :-</E>

Spielberg is great, I’m not a big fan though. I wish he would have directed Empire, damn I can’t believe that almost actually happened. A Spielberg Star Wars movie.

I think he directed the Obi-Wan Vs Darth Vader fight sequence in Revenge of the Sith which was brilliant.

There was no mention of that anywhere in the commentary by Lucas.

No there wouldn’t be, it was an unofficial thing. I think I remember them talking about Speiberg visiting the set a few times, that’s when I tried researching what else he did there which led me to find that he directed the fight sequence or atleast part of it. I’m sure Lucas gives a few hints in either the commentary on extras.

[quote=“Ify”]
No there wouldn’t be, it was an unofficial thing. I think I remember them talking about Speiberg visiting the set a few times, that’s when I tried researching what else he did there which led me to find that he directed the fight sequence or atleast part of it. I’m sure Lucas gives a few hints in either the commentary on extras.
[/quote]

Have I mentioned that I used to be a massive Star Wars fan, and I listened to all the commentary tracks for all DVDs. I like how George talks about his writing process more than anything. And yes there is footage in The Phantom Mencae DVD of Steven visiting the set of Phantom Menace. In The Revenge Of The Sith commentary George doesn’t say anything about Spielberg. Except that Spielberg cried in the screening.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
Have I mentioned that I used to be a massive Star Wars fan, and I listened to all the commentary tracks for all DVDs. I like how George talks about his writing process more than anything. And yes there is footage in The Phantom Mencae DVD of Steven visiting the set of Phantom Menace. In The Revenge Of The Sith commentary George doesn’t say anything about Spielberg. Except that Spielberg cried in the screening.
[/quote]

He thought it was that bad, huh?! ;D

I used to be a massive Star Wars fan too. Do your research, you might find something interesting about it!

I still am a massive Star Wars fan. What’s with all this “used to be” shit? Can’t stay true to your roots? Fuckers.

Woah, calm down Geoi.

Sorry.