STANLEY KUBRICK : Genius or Hack?

[quote]WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

THE SHINING IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FILMS

1980s Kubrick is sweet[/quote]

yeah the shinin was gr8!

I agree the last hour of the movie was great, the first hour and a half put me to sleep.

Short attention spans aren’t good. ::slight_smile:

I again, blame this on the dumbing down of cinema…something QT has fought against, and something you guys help by having ADD.

;D

Kubrick and “hack” should never be in the same sentence again! Only exception would be to say that Kubrick isn’t a hack.

He has probably one of the best, most influential, hell, most important filmography ever. His films were 10 years ahead of their time. Paths of Glory, 2001, Eyes Wide Shut… some people couldn’t handle these films during their time, because Kurbrick refused to make movies within the same boundaries, the same tired cliches like 80% of the other filmmakers out there. We as Tarantino fans should know what that’s all about - directors doing things differently.

[quote]Short attention spans aren’t good. ::slight_smile:

I again, blame this on the dumbing down of cinema…something QT has fought against, and something you guys help by having ADD.

;D[/quote]

I know, man. The first hour of the Shining actually scared me more, because the focus on atmosphere and the immensity of the hotel really put me into their shoes. Between Jack Nicholson’s awesome performance and some of the ghosts used (the Twins and that old hag in the bathroom) I don’t see how anyone COULDN’T be glued to the screen for the entirety of the movie.

Genius…I agree with Puck, The Shining was really good, did not like Eyes Wide Shut though :frowning:

Favorites:

1-2001:A Space Odyssey

2-Dr. Strangelove

3-A Clockwork Orange

4-The Shining

5-The Killing

6-Spartacus

7-Full Metal Jacket

8-Paths of Glory

9-Barry Lyndon

10-Lolita

11-Eyes Wide Shut

Haven’t seen the rest yet

2001 and clockwork orange are 2 of my favorite movies of all time…i haven’t seen barry lyndon yet, is it as good as his other ones-i heard the final duel is supposed to be as good as the one in good, bad, and the ugly (though i doubt it)

Today in a german newspaper:

Five years after his death the German Muesum of filmmaking and the German Museum of Architecture in Frankfurt dedicate STANLEY KUBRICK an Exhibition.

Why Frankfurt, Germany and not New York, where he was born 1928 or London where he spent the second half of his life?

Well Frankfurt was the first when it comes to get the inherits of Kubrick!

After a long explanation about his life

Bernd Eichhorn spent 8 month in the landhouse fo kubrick to get an overview of Kubricks inherits.

He needed 8 month to take a look in every box the maniac collector had. Onla a very little piece of this all is shown now in the exhibition of over 1200 square meter.

“Mister Kubrick, how could you do this all?” would be a good question.

His Napoleon Project: He had collected over 500 books about Napoleon, and on small cards he ha listed everything about him, his companions, his women and his life.

You can see some of them in the exhibition.

The exhibition shows some of his fotosgraphs, pics of his 3 short films, his first movie “Fear and Desire” (the movie can´t be shown full, cuz he wished that it never will be shown again)

They have for every of his 12 movies one room to present it.

They have the “war room” (Ken Adams said it is the best ever) as a modell, the maze from Shinning and some stuff of 2001, the computer HAL 9000, an original apa costum, the Korova milk bar, and 2 rooms of Eyes Eide Shut.

And the projects he can´t realize:

Napoleon, Aryan Papers, and what he wanted to do with l. Begleys “Wartimes Lies” ( Spielberg made AI out of it)

Okay I stop here. So if someone is interessted in seeing all this stuff, go and see the exhibition:

from now to the 4th July and the have a great catalogue about Kubrick for 29,60 €

And forgive my bad translation, my english sucks :-/

Kubrick is brilliant and one of my favorite directors of all time. He´s visionary, intelligent and philosophical. His art of directing was perfect! Since he did “Killer´s Kiss” the camera, the music, the cuts, EVERYTHING was perfect! Kubrick´s films were just mind-opening and perfectly directed and most of the time brilliant acted. I love this great satiric “Dr. Strangelove”, I love the madness mind of “Shining” and the psychological brideness of “2001”. Kubrick is one of the best. POINT

I will try to go to Frankfurt, but it´s fucking far away from Dortmund. It must be great to see all his stuff.

It ´s really cool that we have his inherits here in Germany!

Anyway, I will definetly order the catalogue, hope I can order it here in a bookstore…

the man is a genius.

FULL METAL JACKET is his finest hour

[quote]Kubrick is brilliant and one of my favorite directors of all time. He´s visionary, intelligent and philosophical. His art of directing was perfect! Since he did “Killer´s Kiss” the camera, the music, the cuts, EVERYTHING was perfect! Kubrick´s films were just mind-opening and perfectly directed and most of the time brilliant acted. I love this great satiric “Dr. Strangelove”, I love the madness mind of “Shining” and the psychological brideness of “2001”. Kubrick is one of the best. POINT[/quote]

Have you seen Barry Lyndon? I’ve heard a lot of mixed things about that, but I still really want to see it. Someone said that there’s a pretty good duel in it that’s almost as good as the one in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…

And my favorite Kubrick is 2001

[quote]

Have you seen Barry Lyndon? I’ve heard a lot of mixed things about that, but I still really want to see it. Someone said that there’s a pretty good duel in it that’s almost as good as the one in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly…

And my favorite Kubrick is 2001[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve seen “Barry Lyndon”. Great film. There is a real cool duel scene, but don’t compare it with “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” cause this is untoppable.

My favorite Kubrick is “Shining”.

Jules_Winfield wrote:

I read some dissapointing news on the ‘top 10 list’ thread in the other section. The ruler of this site actually has the ability to say that Kubrick is an idiot, overrated and what not.

This here my friends is a RANT. I challenge any of you who say anything against Stanley Kubrick. Only one director i can say is better then the man we’re here for, Tarantino, is this man. I saw all his movies except for the four he did in the beginning (The Day Of The Fight, Fear and Desire, Killer’s Kiss and The Killing).

Now im not gonna list all the movies but lets just say the lowest grade for his movie is 9/10 for Lolita and Full Metal Jacket.

Seb, when you said he uses classical music just to make his movies ‘cult’ you make a very big mistake. First of all the man doesnt make movies thinking about the future. Secondly A Clockwork Orange is a book by Anthony Burgess whose main character talks like he talks in the movie and who listens to Beethoven. Kubrick using Beethoven in the film is only normal and expected. Him using classical music in 2001 is not expected but amazing. And by the way he only used classical numbers in these movies and Barry Lyndon.

You have absolutely no argument against this man who unforunately only lived to make 13 movies.

Please dont say he’s an idiot. Im sorry to say this, but u sound ridiculous when you say that. If you dont like his work then just say its not my cup of tea or something. The man is obviously not an idiot if nearly all the filmakers i heard talk admire him and are influenced by him. You have to respect his work at least. 2001 might be boring for you but think of what its trying to say and then think when it was made and say to urself ‘shit, this dude was someone special’. Man, no one now can do a sci-fi movie better than 2001 even if they tried.

Sorry if i was harh. But i get a bit pissed when i hear someone calling the greatest American director an idiot.

Here the admin copied the posts from this topic…

Jules_Winfield answered:

Did you only see Clockwork Orange, 2001 and FMJ?

If so you are not watching what some directors/critics his best work:

Dr. Strangelove. His horro masterpiece The Shining, Lolita, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon, Eyes Wide Shut all these movies need special attention.

In the AFI top 100 2001 ranks #22 and Strangelove #26 and Clockwork Orange #46

Listen man, i respect your taste and everything but when you say stuff like (for 2001) 90% music 5% images etc. then something must be rotten in the state of Denmark.

2001 was way ahead of its time. Think about it. 1968 and with that kind of sci-fi movie!! There is actual plot but that works amazingly with what Kubrick is trying to say. When i was watching it i was just hypnotized by how he directed it and how he used the music and the ending was simply amazing including many themes like religion, life after death etc. It’s about dehumanization. HAL 9000, how can u not love that idea??

The cut between bone and space ship is saying a lot. Im dissapointed how u cant see it. Thats like one of the best cuts in movie history. How technology has developed is amazingly conveyed from only one cut: from bone in the dawn of man to a spaceship in space. Bone used for protection and as a weapon in the dawn of man (a neccessary thing) has been compared to humans in 2000 years who use space ships as discovery and exploration (an unneccessary thing). I dont know how you cant see these things.

Why dont you read some extensive reviews of 2001 and youll see what im talking about.

As for Clockwork orange: its not the actual music that makes the movie a cult - and its not the actual music that makes the movie good, its how the directer uses it. And naturally together with the music other stuff that adds to the movie’s brilliance is: costumes, set designes, symbolisms, camera movement, acting, theme of such a future, theme of ‘can you change ones true nature?’ and theme of corrupt society among ions of other things. I cant understand how you can say this movie is not good.

I dont care much about Kubrick’s ratio the only thing that widescreen would give you is more cinematic feel which isnt imortant when watching Kubrick. The sound is just right for me, again Kubrick wanted to use MONO which means you wouldnt of get much more out of the movie if it was STEREO.

Obviously Kubrick wanted to give his movies a domestic feel which plays good with his reoccurent theme: DEHUMANIZATION.

and then they posted:

The_man_with_no_name wrote:

So what if critics say it’s good? When it comes down to it it only matters what you think about the movie, not what Richard Roeper or somebody thinks. I mean, so what if it ranked on some poll, that means we’re all supossed to like the movies? I love Kubrick but critics and polls don’t make me like shit.

I never get why people say “what? you didn’t like that movie? well, critics do”. That don’t mean shit.

The admin wrote:

i didn’t like Eyes Wide Shut either, although it’s not a bad film.

listen, if you find 2001 amazing, no problem.

all i said is, that apart from FMJ i don’t like his work blah blah blah… read my post, that’s all i said and thats my opinion.

i dont see any art in cutting from apes to spaceships. it’s just poor.

ToothpickVicVega wrote:

I think every film watcher needs to learn to watch movies regardless of how much dialogue is in it. Dialogue is great, but its also great to watch a film where the director tells the story using the camera. This is called CINEMA.

I think if you watch Kubricks films with that in mind you might be able to get more out of them. Especially in the case of 2001. That film is ALL about using images to express the story.

Learn to watch a film and think about it while your watching it. Don’t just dismiss it because there isnt enough craziness happening in it. If your gonna think that way, your better off watching a Michael Bay hacktion movie.

spinstercycle wrote:

I personally disliked 2001 and Eyes Wide Shut-- throwing nonsensical things together… exploitative

Grave-Architect wrote:

throwing nonsensical things together?

I think you should have read vegas post above you,about telling a story through visuals,rather than dialogue

dont be a moron

spinstercycle wrote:

Why do people feel the need to say things like this? I have an opinion. Do you truly know what the hell Kubrick meant 2001 to be? Visuals, dialouge, whatever-- it doesn’t matter. I did not care for the film. Is that so hard to comprehend? Eyes Wide Shut was just plain awful. That is the problem with people- you scream for tolerance, free speech- then when someone disagrees, they throw a hissy fit. Just because I disagree about a movie does not make me any less of a film lover, intellectual, or person. Grow up, pancho.

Grave-Architec wrote:

Did I ever say I was against you disliking his movies?

No.I said that making comments like ‘nonsensical things’ is just moronic,when these ‘things’ do indeed make sense.So like what you want,but dont ever try to start telling me what is and isnt art

and forum master guy,how many times does this have to be explained to you.that ‘crazy cut’ is to show how far humans have evolved.just like in any movie,a cut often signifies a jump in time.I really dont know what you find so hard to understand about this

and then they posted:

spinstercycle wrote:

We understand, you buffoon. We just don’t care. Just about anything can be considered art, that is not in question. What IS in question is whether the art is fluent, poetic and meaningful OR just a collection of shit, loosely federated, with no true meaning, just put out there so people will be astounded at its brilliance. Some people will see the greatness of 2001, and some won’t. Idiocy gots nothing to do without it. And I will tell you whateva I want, child! Smoke that, hippie…

the admin:

call me blind, but i cant see any fucking “good directing” in 2001. i agree that some scenes are influential and the rythm of the film is KINDA … unique, but its a collection of loose elements, no story, no acting, no great cinematography (what does it take to film apes? come on!), nothing.

it might be influential, but come on look at it from a neutral point: the film is totally overrated.

Grave-Architect:

how can you call it a ‘collection of shit…nonsensical things’ when they clearly make sense and are there for a reason

no story, no acting, no great cinematography?

gee I wonder if the lack of characters is actually to show isolation and the main theme of kubricks films - dehumanization.and yeah youre right,the cinematography sucked,almost as bad as taxi driver,gangs of new york etc etc

spinstercycle:

The cinematography wasn’t bad in Taxi Driver or Gangs of New York. For Taxi Driver, the filming is simple and isolated. The moves are subtle, the changes understated. Gangs of new York has the epic shots typical of a grand scale picture. Both have good cinematography… I don’t know where that came from…

ToothpickVicVega:

I take it that Grave was being sarcastic about Taxi Driver and GONY. I cant believe he means that seriously. If so, somethings seriously wrong there.

Taxi Driver is American Cinema masterpiece. The whole film is brilliant, every scene, every frame. Especially the cinematography. Urban Cinema at its BEST.

GONY was very beautiful as far as the cinematography goes. It really was one of the best things about the film.

the Admin;

Taxi Driver had about the best cinematography i’ve ever seen (take away a few scenes).

take a look at the lights when he’s driving! fucking A!

filmstudent:

The man was a cinnematic genious, however he did produce more bland films then good ones. For example: Full Metal Jacket was just an OK film, because not the director, but the how the second half of the movie suffered in comparison to the first half. Also the acting in FMJ sucked a little too. The main character was horrible. The only good actors were Private Pyle (who should have recieved an academy award nomination I think) and Sargent Hartman. Everyone else was just OK.

Also the Shinning (I loved this movie too) but it lacked in the keeping me interested department. It moved very slowly with some poor camera shots. However the acting in this was top notch by every main character. And the actual ‘scary parts’ were genuinely terrifing.

However in SK defense a Clockwork Orange was genious. As well as Spartagus, Paths of Glory, Lolita, Dr. Strangelove, 2001. But you can’t say that Sk has put out a great film every time. He had somed faults, but they can be easily overlooked when you see films that have been listed above.

Mister_Pink:

i just watched stanley kubricks movie: full metal jacket. what can i say, it was a really cool movie. i really like war movies and this was a good one. i also saw Dr. Strangelove a while ago and it was funny. i’ve heard some weird things about clockwork orange and some bad thins about 2001: a space odysyee, but hey who am i to jude? i haven’t seen them. maybe i will…

Mr-White:

i’ve seen strangelove and FMJ too, Pink. i want to see clockwork orange now, because everyone tells me that it is pretty good. weird, but good. you should see it too, just to see if you like it or not.

I really agree with what TFA said on the first page. ive seen a few of Kubrick’s movies; the shining, Full metal Jacket, 2001, and spartacus. his movies are really boring. I think that people think hes GREAT cuz hes different. i dun think so, i mean i could draw a dot on a piece of paper and ppl will say its the meaning of life or some shit but that aint what it is, its just a fucking dot. i thinkn this guy was a little wacky. I hated full metal jacket, the first half of the movie was the guy yellin at them and the other half was them gettin shot. and the music thing was a really good observation. and arent most of his movies novels…

Whether or not you like his stuff you have to be grateful for what he has accomplished

The Killing was the first movie to really be shown out order complete inspiration to all or Quentin’s films

Paths of Glory was the first movie to come out and say that war is shit

Lolita was banned throughout the world for years and helped pave the way for provacative movies

Dr. Strangelove set a standard for balck comedy and scared the crap out of all the bomb loving americans

2001 broke the barriers of what a movie can be and whether you like or not it is probably the most pondered movie ever made

Clockwork Orange made the public come to grips with violent movies

I changed my mind in fact of Kubrick’s best film. Yesterday I watched “A Clockwork Orange” since a long time and its just astonishing! Its my favorite Kubrick movie! The extraordinary and weird pictures mixed with Beethoven’s great symphonies. WOW! I gonna watch it again today.