The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Spider Man 4?

Sam Raimi Talks “Spider-Man 4,” “Grudge 3,” “The Hobbit,” “Evil Dead,” "The Shadow"

Regarding “Spider-Man 4”: “Right now, Sony is meeting with different writers to try and bring a fresh new story and approach to the ‘Spider-Man’ franchise,” Raimi explained. “So I’ve been in meetings with Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, the producers, and Amy Pascal. Different writers have been coming in and spinning different tales of where ‘Spider-Man’ can go from here.” At this point, he is not sure whether the new films will be a reboot of the franchise. Thus far, he has not been asked to direct or write.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.p … 21&count=0”>http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=6221&count=0</LINK_TEXT>

Yeah, they’ve been talking about doing a second trilogy since before production

of three began. I think Raimi really wants to do something else, but at the same

time doesn’t wanna see someone else take over “his” franchise.

Im not sure I even want to see another SM movie and hes my fav super hero of all time. I really dont know why they’d want to continue with the series anyways other than money reasons.

Talking about a reboot of a franchise, half a year after the last entry was released theatrically. WOW. the fast times we life in.

My script pitch for Spider-Man 4:

They should kill off Mary Jane, make Peter have wild sex with Gwen, before realizing that his girl was always the neighbor who brought him cookies and milk. In the end, they marry and there’s a long wedding ceremony. THE END.

So much for the B-plot, in the main part of the movie, Spider-Man is so full of himself again that he bursts into dance sequences/musical numbers several times. The Sinister Six plans world domination, but find themselves distracted by Spideys revue dancing. In their weak moments (when they don’t fight him) they join in and dance along. But in the final action sequence, Spidey kills them all and feeds their testicles to wild animals. He then regrets it and thinks he has lost his soul (being violent and all that) , but finds it again on a soul seeking journey, that takes forever.

original score: Klaus Badelt, Rodgers & Hammerstein

special appearences: Stan Lee, ZZ Top

I can do without another Spiderman really. Raimi should quit directing SM movies while he’s ahead. Superhero movies inevitably diminish in quality after each sequel (see Batman, Superman). He already went downhilll with number 3, I can’t see a fourth one getting any better.

I think with SM 3 Sam lost his control of the characters which sucked. He def should move onto new projects now. I really wish he’d do one more Evil Dead and make it a big epic with Ash.

I think filmakers should try new things instead of making the same movie 3-4-5 times.

Am i the only one who wants to see him reboot Darkman?

I guess this is what Romero was trying to avoid - guys like Peter Jackson and Sam Raimi have completely sold out - their work is just too “easy” - they don’t even have to worry about writing a script because someone else will do it for them. They’ve been typecast as these big budget directors like Bay and Lucas.

I wouldn’t call them sell outs just because they did big budget projects that

somebody else wrote. They both had a big hand in the writing stages of their

respective franchises and they were films that they both were passionate about.

I don’t think Sam Raimi enjoyed making Spiderman 3. You can tell he wanted to fuck up the movie as much as humanly possible. Maybe the idea of having three villains in one movie was too much for him too. When I saw all the dancing and singing I knew he just wanted to finish with the whole Spiderman franchise, he had already signed a contract for a three movie deal for like a gazillion dollars. That’s about 10 years of his career wasted on three big budget movies - I call that selling out.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I don’t think Sam Raimi enjoyed making Spiderman 3. You can tell he wanted to fuck up the movie as much as humanly possible. Maybe the idea of having three villains in one movie was too much for him too. When I saw all the dancing and singing I knew he just wanted to finish with the whole Spiderman franchise, he had already signed a contract for a three movie deal for like a gazillion dollars. That’s about 10 years of his career wasted on three big budget movies - I call that selling out.
[/quote]

He wanted to do it. And I’m pretty sure he still wants more. I don’t think the amount of

money made him any more or less passionate about the source material. I mean, I wouldn’t

consider you a sell out if you got paid a ridiculous amount of money to write and direct a

Resident Evil Trilogy.

The third one sucked because he let the fans and the studio talk him into doing a Venom story,

which he had no interest in doing. I think it was just a case of a director trying to do too much

with one film. To call him a sell out for that is just kinda ignorant. It’s not like he sacrificed his

principles for the paycheck.

And I don’t think he intentionally made the movie suck, the series was kind of always a mix of

campy plot and action packed CGI. The camp just slowly progressed from film to film. I kinda

thought that was Raimi’s style. I mean look at how utterly silly the Evil Dead Series got in just

three films.

Well Rsident Evil: Apocalypse was crap only because Paul WS Anderson was busy making AVP, and he let that get in the way. But the first film and Extinction were imaginative at best and succeeded to entertain its fans and audiences. But if Sam Raimi was really trying his best on the third Spider-Man movie…then that really scares me! It means he’s running out of ideas, there’s like 30 minutes of singing and dancing - and the characters are just flat and not developed at all.

I wouldn’t call Raimi a sellout. If he had his way, he would’ve made a nice little trilogy, but the studio got too involved and ruined the franchise. Burton didn’t sell out by doing the Batman films, he could have if you watch the interviews on the DVD’s he was offered part three but with less control, which means the studio wanted to take over. This is exactly what happened with Raimi. The only way to do a proper trilogy without studio interference is to go ahead a make two at once via Matrix, LOTR, and Pirates.

The fact remains that Raimi did not want to do Venom, he likes the traditional villians. The studio then took over and asked everyone at the Comic Con who they wanted, and well that was it. Raimi simply lost control of the project because of the success. The problem lies with the fact that Raimi and Burton before him, just were not powerful enough to do what they wanted. By power they need to have proven box office success on name recognition only. Few people can do this in Hollywood, Speilberg, Tarantino, Lucas, Hitchcock before them. That kinda power is rare in Hollywood, but once the studio feels they made the director who he is, like Burton and Raimi, they feel they can do what they want because they grandfathered the project and the director, so the director has no real say so.

I hate to say it, but I believe this was going to be the situation with Bryan Singer’s X-Men 3 anyway. It would’ve been a bad movie no matter what because as far as I hear they didn’t want to do what he wanted to do, and not only that Superman was looking better than the studio’s version of X-3 which turned out exactly what Singer feared too many mutants and no tying up of the story he wanted to tell.

It´s not a problem of having enough power.When you´re dealing with such a huge franchise you´ll never have every freedom to do what you want. Plus sometimes you´ve got to listen to the fans. Imagine Peter Jackson doing everything he want with LOTR, it is not possible.

I think even Spielberg or Tarantino would come to their limits (that´s the only reason it would have been interesting seeing QT make a James Bond movie).

Spider-man 3 sucked so damn much, it isn’t even funny. It was that bad, I didn’t even feel like I had to rip into it, it pretty much ripped into itself.