The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

So what kinda films are QT and RR trying to emulate?

I know theyre gonna make it their own but does anyone know any of the films that have inspired either of them?

Also, are Grind House type theatres still around?

[quote=“j_c”]
[/quote]
probably but who would want to do to one

i heard “Duel” but i dunno

I think if you want to get a grasp of what QT and Rodriguez are after you have to read between the lines of the QT Film Fest, I mean, QT uses his film fest to show some of the most rare and exploitative films he knows, and usually those tend to be the influences on his movies as well

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
I think if you want to get a grasp of what QT and Rodriguez are after you have to read between the lines of the QT Film Fest, I mean, QT uses his film fest to show some of the most rare and exploitative films he knows, and usually those tend to be the influences on his movies as well
[/quote]

exactly, even though i dont think he showed lots of exploitation, meaning horror/gore, you never know, but im AMPED to check it out for myself

I think Death Proof is going to be most like a Giallo but instead of a razor or knife we will just see parts of the killer in the car, like his foot pressing on the gas or his black gloved hands turning the steering wheel through the whole film. I hope QT thinks up some sick, crazy methods of car death. The kind of stuff that we’ll get those trademark QT “Groans then big laughs” with. Planet Terror will probably be a really gory zombie film, probably RRs most gory film yet. Hopefully like a Fulci film.

when i first heard the basic idea of ‘death proof’, i had visions of ‘christine’ and especially, ‘duel’. however, neither of those are grindhouse material by any stretch of the imagination.

right now,this second, i think it will be a giallo done in typical ‘goofy’ QT style. (like ‘reservoir dogs’ is a heist movie where you don’t see the heist).

as for robert, i agree that ‘planet terror’ will probably be a romero/fulci fest. how bad.

Yeah, theres definetly gonna be some Fulci

[quote=“j_c”]
Yeah, theres definetly gonna be some Fulci

[/quote]

definitly, im 100% sure Quentin can’t resist to get his Fulci or Bava on

it is more likely that Rodriguez will be doing Fulci or Bava than Tarantino, with his story

I love that whenever QT works in a genre he does some offbeat thing. Instead of doing the standard slasher or giallo film, he makes the killer drive a car, knocking people off the road. I dont know if thats ever been done before. I mean we’ve seen posessed evil cars (Christine, The Car) but has anyone made a slasher film where the killer uses a car? I cant recall one.

HIGHWAYMEN kinda did that.

Joy Ride kinda did that aswell

Man it will be nice to see some real giallo. None of this Saw crap. That pissed me off when they hyped that movie as this giallo thing and it was pure MTV crap with hints of giallo…might i add that weren’t even done that good. I would dig the gloved killer in a car thing though. Man that would be tough baby!

www.randomcreatureface.com

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
I think Death Proof is going to be most like a Giallo but instead of a razor or knife we will just see parts of the killer in the car, like his foot pressing on the gas or his black gloved hands turning the steering wheel through the whole film. I hope QT thinks up some sick, crazy methods of car death. The kind of stuff that we’ll get those trademark QT “Groans then big laughs” with. Planet Terror will probably be a really gory zombie film, probably RRs most gory film yet. Hopefully like a Fulci film.
[/quote]Hold you r fucking horses! You mean Robert freakin’ Rodriguez is making a ZOMBIE FILM!!! That is spectacular, I always dreamed of Tarantino being part of a zombie film, even though Robert is making it…my god that is so exciting, George A. eat your fucking heart out!!! Robert is gonna rock this zombie movie!!!

Taken from <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/coolne … tin/3.html”>http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/coolnews/quentin/3.html</LINK_TEXT>

[quote]“Tonight the Dobie is gonna turn into a downtown LA, New York 42 street Grindhouse Theater!” “Those theaters were alot cheaper than the ticket for this thing.” “The people that went to these theaters were drunk ol winos, Criminals on the run from the law and wanting a place to hide out and spend the night.” “If you were too chickenshit to watch a movie in those theaters then you couldn’t be considered a real movie fan.” “Towards the last reel of Policewomen we’re gonna release the rats, don’t worry they’ll just be doing their thing!” [/quote]

So think the opposite version of those film society clubs in the 1960s that showed Bergman films a.k.a. ‘Arthouse Cinemas’.

And from http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=3104

[quote]Quentin came out and did a whole thing on how what we were about to see wasn’t just grindhouse exploitation films, that we have all types of exploitive genres like WOMEN IN PRISON FLICKS, BLAXPLOITATION, CHEERLEADER FLICKS, SUPER GORE FILMS, etc… That these films he was set to show us were films that weren’t made just for grindhouses… they played in some mainstream places, as well as the grindhouses. They were the off beat exploitive films. These were the films that “If you bought a ticket for a piece of shit, you came out pleasantly surprised!â€?

“In fact, I’m kinda ruining the whole fucking thing for ya right now…â€? This began a line of dialogue that was just fucking brilliant in my opinion. Quentin went on to tell us how 60% of exploitation films are “so fucking bad that you come out screaming about what a fucking piece of shit that movie wasâ€?, then he talked about the 34% that are just pretty good pieces of shit, then he put Jack Hill’s REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS in that category, to which I instantly voiced my disapproval. You see… for me, REVENGE OF THE CHEERLEADERS is this near brilliant insane film. Kinda like SCHLOCK or DARK STAR for that place in life where you are utterly disabled from higher brain functions. Then there is the 6% of exploitation films that you come out of just shocked at how much you loved it. And what he’s doing tonight is ruining it for us, because we’re supposed to earn our 6%, that 60% may suck like as asshole siphoning your gastank, but at least you earned the right to draw that parallel. You know of what you speak." [/quote]

Or as Quentin put it himself in ‘Sight and Sound’ over ten years ago, you have to drink a lot of milk to appreciate cream and you have to drink a lot of milk that’s gone bad to appreciate milk.

I think thats also been one of QTS goals since he started, to take what he loves most about Grindhouse genre films and mix them with his own personality as well as arthouse/mainstream sensibilities and create something new.

Death Proof will most likely have dashes of those cool 70s car race-chase films we love (Duel, Death Race 2000, Mad Max, The Car, Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry etc) but will be something new we havent seen exactly done the same way before.

Mixing real-life with movie-life. Or in other words when the people in ‘Pulp Fiction’, ‘Jackie Brown’ and ‘Reservoir Dogs’ go to see a movie they go and see ‘Kill Bill’, ‘From Dusk Till Dawn’ and ‘Natural Born Killers’.

[quote=“j_c”]
[/quote]

Yes! If you’re ever in Hollywood, check out The Vine. It’s on Hollywood Blvd, just a little west of Vine. Unfortunately it only shows 2nd run films but it’s got the look and smell of a grindhouse. And there’s a picture of Quentin in there along with the owner. I asked the owner when it was taken and he said when Quentin came in to watch Showgirls.

Does anyone know of any in the Georgia area?