The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Silence (2010)

Daniel Day-Lewis and Benicio del Toro have just signed on to star in Silence, the next film from Martin Scorsese. And we all know what that means, readers – lock up your Oscars…

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24107

Ah yeah, I was waiting for this. I think he’s been trying to get started on this project for a while.

Masahiro Shinoda adapted Endo’s novel in 1971: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067755/

Both the novel and the film are considered classics.

Yeah, I think he wanted to make this before he made Gangs of New York but the studio execs wanted another gangster film. It’s a funny world, even a filmmaker of Scorsese’s calibre can’t control which films he will make.

That’s fucked. I read about this so long ago that I’d forgotten all about it. Damn, it’s really happening, innit?

That sounds awesome. I’ve just put Masahiro Shinoda’s Chinmoku (Silence) on my rental list. Top priority. I’ve never heard of the film or the book so I’m lookin forward to checkin it out.

i’ve read the script 8)

And…?

Like Cristal, it’s fuckin’ good :smiley:

i can’t say much more right now, as i am speechless

Yeah, well don’t spoil it. I’m glad it’s made a good strong impression on you though. Martin Scorsese can do no wrong. 8)

I am so extremely excited for this project. Day Lewis is like Scorsese’s new Keitel and I’m really happy about Del Toro getting cast as well as Gael Bernal Garcia. This project reminds me a lot of The Last Temptation of Christ as Scorsese’s had to wait and fight to get it made. I would love to see Day-Lewis get the Oscar for a Scorsese film since he was robbed for Gangs of New York and completely snubbed for Age of Innocence.

[quote=“Ify”]
Yeah, well don’t spoil it.
[/quote]

spoiling is not one of my habits

Most anticipated film for 2010. BY FAR Gotta find the book and read it, then find the movie and watch it, then patiently wait…

No way, Paul is the most anticipated movie for 2010. TinTin also. But this runs a close third.

Nah I hate motion-capture and i don’t particularly like the idea of the classic francais Tintin becoming hollywoodized through none other than Spielberg, so that’s a big no on Tintin. Might catch it on DVD.

Paul sounds like a good innocent time.

The Silence on the other hand is where the drama’s at, it’s good stuff. Scorsese + Day Lewis + Del Toro + Japan = HELL MOTHERFUCKIN’ YES!

To each his own…

what’s Paul?

[quote=“Ify”]
Yeah, I think he wanted to make this before he made Gangs of New York but the studio execs wanted another gangster film. It’s a funny world, even a filmmaker of Scorsese’s calibre can’t control which films he will make.
[/quote]

You know that he wanted to do Gangs of NYC since the eighties, and also wanted Joe Strummer as DiCaprio character.

Anyway, that movie sounds promiscing. Daniel Day Lewis and Del Toro and Gael Garcia Bernal. I can’t wait for Shutter Island with Leo first.

I think he wanted to make Gangs of New York since the seventies, but Yeah, Scorsese’s always looking about three or four projects ahead and this will be fantastic. Obviously.