Should Tarantino do a musical?

First of all, I just want to say “hello” to everyone. I just signed up a couple of days ago and have been lurking about ever since. I’ve only been a demi-avid fan of Tarantino for about a month now, so bare with me, allright?

Anyway, I’ve been hearing little bits of rumours about Tarantino directing a musical sometime in the near future, and I was wondering what everyone thinks the outcome would be like, and would he do the genre justice?

Personally, I think that he’d do a pretty kick arse job at it, given that most of his movies have had really fantiastic soundtracks. Ovbiously he knows how to incorporate music into film and make it work, so why not take it a step further?

Getting off onto a wee bit of a tangent here, but I’ve also heard rumours that one of my favourite artists, David Bowie, has been toying with the idea of converting one of his recent albums, 1. Outside, into a musical one day. For those of you who aren’t hardcore Bowie-philes (and I am sure there are many who aren’t), Outside is about the art - ritural murder of a 14 year-old girl named Baby Grace Blue. It’s described by Bowie as a “Non-linear, gothic drama hyper-cycle”. How cool would a Bowie / Tarantino collobration be on that sort of a project? ;D

Anywho, that’s my two yen on the subject.

Bardot

Not gonna happen. Tarantino should just stick to movies.

I mean shit, Tarantino doesn’t even have enough time to direct a musical. He’s busy with the Kill Bill dvd, and his next WW2 epic. Besides his “break”, he won’t have time to do anything else but produce.

I think you cant say he’ll never do one, because you just dont know. but yes, he is a movie director and I dont think he likes musicals that much.

but i am sure he’ll do a musical-like movie someday. a singing in the rain hommage film maybe, or someething like Blues Brothers

I love musicals! There one of my favourite types of films!

However, if you watch the making of PF you’ll see that Tarantino cannot dance and a musical without good dancing is like KillBill without Bill!

All of his movies are musicals.

lol Miss. Bexi, he could always hire a professional choreographer.

I’m not really picturing a big, happy, flashy musical, of course, so perhaps the dance element would not be as big as it usually is in a traditional musical.

I’d like to see a Kung-Fu-Spaghetti-Western-Revenge-Grindhouse-Crime-Blaxploitation-Caper-Musical.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote]I’d like to see a Kung-Fu-Spaghetti-Western-Revenge-Grindhouse-Crime-Blaxploitation-Caper-Musical.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/quote]

Ditto, minus the musical part.

[quote]

Ditto, minus the musical part.[/quote]

Sounds like a good film! He could call it KillBill!

Pwnd.

[quote]

Sounds like a good film! He could call it KillBill!
[/quote]

…ON ICE!!!

and…NAKED!

[quote]

…ON ICE!!![/quote]

[quote]and…NAKED![/quote]

I have a vision…a great and glorious vision…

lolol i can see it now…oh dear sweet God NO!

[quote]All of his movies are musicals.[/quote]

How amazingly acurate.
Given his knack for soundtracks that capture the essance of a film, I think he would make a superb musical.
And for those who think musicals arnt thier cup of tea, I bet he could convert you and many others just like he does with all his films. Its all very nostalgic , makes us think of the reasons we adored these forgotten genres.
Knowing QT though, this shit would take FOREVER and a day to complete. Musical making is a tough job. He better just stick to his shtick for awhile so that at least we get SOME films out of the man.

[quote]

How amazingly acurate.

Given his knack for soundtracks that capture the essance of a film, I think he would make a superb musical.

And for those who think musicals arnt thier cup of tea, I bet he could convert you and many others just like he does with all his films. Its all very nostalgic , makes us think of the reasons we adored these forgotten genres.

Knowing QT though, this shit would take FOREVER and a  day to complete. Musical making is a tough job. He better just stick to his shtick for awhile so that at least we get SOME films out of the man. [/quote]

^^good post

to have the bride killing someone to a cool tune is one thing, to have the bride bust out into a song and dance with the crazy 88 is a whole new fucking can of worms…

and gay worms at that.

I wanna see Tarantino remake My Fair Lady so he can kill that fuckin fake Cockney-slanged bitch Audrey Hepburn.

or uh…the ghost of Audrey Hepburn

R.I.P. :’(

:slight_smile:

lolololol! what about a re-make of Grease? Set in the Tokyo underworld, a deadly assasin hooks up with a dodgey car-dealer during the summer…but will thier love overcome the pressures of organzied crime?

Hey, that actually sounds pretty cool. Have Tarantino make a Fukasaku/Suzuki type Yakuza pic with musical interludes and have one of the bosses played by Jackie Chan in the role of a lifetime. Shit, the whole thing should be in Japanese and have all the kickass Asian bands- Guitar Wolf/Mach 1.67/5.6.7.8’s etc