The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Short Film Script- Wombat

Hey guys.

This is my first proper script (I have a fair few unfinished ones under my bed :wink:) so be nice.

Nah actually, scrap that. If its complete bollocks- just tell like it is. Probably better than having me ego stroked.

Well the film is a short, written for this univerisity I wanna go to, and I plan on shooting the script in the next week or two.

Anyways, I had to write around what I have avaliable to me- so thats basically a sports centre and a resturant. It chronicles the last day in the life of Wesley Turner, a poor little schlepper who has no control over his life, no aim or drive. Throughout the course of the day, Wesley comes to realise this, and ultimately decides to do something about it.

If any of you guys (and gals) liked Americian Beauty- chances are you’ll get something more out of this. Its my little homage- though I’d say about…87% of its fairly original (that is, not at all like AB :slight_smile:)

So here it is- its only 25 pages or so, pretty short, so hopefully you’ll get through it. Oh and once the first scene is over and done with, thats when it really picks up and becomes actually funny. Hopefully. Stick with it.

Enjoy.

1. INT. BEDROOM- EARLY MORNING

We see a YOUNG MAN asleep in bed. An alarm sounds. The YOUNG MAN starts to stir and finally turns the alarm off. He sits up and yawns widely. In a sleepy trance, he finds his slippers and slowly walks towards his window, opening the curtains.

YOUNG MAN (V.O)

My name is WESLEY TURNER. I’m nineteen years old. I’d like to think I live by the saying “Live free or die�, or “Live and let live�.. I don’t know, something cool like that. Actually, I live by none of those sayings. In fact, I live with my parents, work at some crummy sports centre, and- I don’t know, do the stuff guys my age do. Oh and right now, at this exact moment in time, I have a hang over.

MONTAGE of WESLEY’S morning ritual

A) Wesley looking at himself in the mirror

B) Wesley brushing his teeth, carefully, and with great attention to detail.

C) Wesley looking more intently at his reflection, examining his appearance, somewhat critical of what he sees.

D) We see Wesley in a meditative position on his bed, slowly intoning to himself;

WESLEY

I am somebody. I matter. People will be attracted to my positive energy and help me achieve my goals. I am right where I’m supposed to be…

E) Wesley sings along to a song being played, while smoking some pot.

F) Wesley styling his hair.

G) Once again he is assessing himself in the mirror- after some deliberation he neatens his work tie.

2. INT. BEDROOM- CONTINUING

Knocking can be heard at his bedroom door. Wesley snubs out the cigarette and hastily flaps his arms about in an attempt to hide the smoke.

VOICE (O.S)

Honey?

WESLEY

Just a sec.

VOICE (O.S)

You know I don’t like locked doors in my house.

Wesley opens the door. His MUM enters, all smiles and sunshine.

MUM

Wesley honey? Are you trying to look like a hobo?

WESLEY

(laughs weakly)

Yes.

MUM

Congratulations. You’ve succeeded admirably.

WESLEY

Sorry Mum.

MUM

You have to get your arse in gear- the taxi is will be here soon. And what is that smell…

WESLEY

Uh, nothing Mum.

MUM

Right.

(turns for the door, before slowly facing Wesley)

So. You’re smoking pot now? Iâ€â€

3. EXT/INT. SPORTS WORLD- MORNING (establishing)

Wesley enters the shot, getting to the end of another cigarette.

WESLEY (V.O)

Ever seen that Kevin Spacey movie, where he says, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life?� well, that’s true with every day except one- the day you die.

We then FOLLOW him as he enters the sports centre, Wesley’s place of work. We continue FOLLOWING Wesley until he reaches the rear of the building, and a door marked STAFFROOM. He stops, and turns back to grab himself some coffee from the vendor.

4. INT. SHOP, STAFFROOM- DAY

A pair of employees, MARY and LEONARD, are engaging in some “friendly� banter.

MARY

…That’s so cute, planning life as a loser? Most people just turn out that way, but you’re really taking charge.

LEONARD

That’s not what I meant. And for your information, I lead a rich and varied social life.

MARY

Oh I know! Every night it’s Deal or No Deal, then Richard & Judy followed by a cup of hot cocoa. Look out girls; this one can’t be tamed.

LEONARD

I’ll admit it may not be as intoxicating as a life erected on high fashion and a push up bra-

MARY

Hey, if anyone’s wearing a push up bra around here it’s…

Wesley enters the STAFFROOM.

MARY

Wesley!

WESLEY

Hey kids.

5. INT. STAFFROM- CONTINUING

Wesley sipping his coffee, before hastily spitting it back into his mug.

WESLEY

Really, fun party last night

MARY

I’m so glad you came. You know how parties are; you’re always worried that someone might suck the energy out of the room…like a giant black hole of boring despair. But, there you were, in a clinch!

WESLEY

I didn’tâ€â€

6. INT. TILLS DESK- DAY

Wesley is manning the tills, reading his book, with Mary nearby polishing her nails. It’s obviously a quiet shift so far. Silence is heavily prevalent. That is until a MALE customer decides to enter the sports centre. The customer lazily saunters over to Wesley’s desk.

WESLEY

(puts the book down)

Hello, can I help you?

CUSTOMER

Yeah please, can you tell me when the evening gym session starts?

WESLEY

Sure.

(consults a near by timetable)

Evening sessions start at 7pm, then go hourly till 11. Here, have a timetable. You a member?

CUSTOMER

No.

WESLEY

Well you should think about joining up. Tell you what, here’s a application pack to go with the timetable.

He hands over the paperwork to the customer, who takes it.

CUSTOMER

Thanks.

The customer turns to leave, but hovers on the spot, seemingly coming to a decision.

CUSTOMER

Hey wait, are you uh, Wesley? Wesley Turner?

WESLEY

Uh, yeah. Why?

CUSTOMER

(smiling)

I’m Joe. Joe Worley. We went to Ivybridge together.

Wesley squints at Joe, trying to put the name to the memory.

WESLEY

Joe? The art guy?

JOE

(laughing)

Yeah I guess.

WESLEY

Wow. How’ve you been?

JOE

OK I guess. So you’re working here?

WESLEY

Yup. For about six months now.

JOE

Cool. As a side gig right?

WESLEY

Side gig? Uh, not really.

(beat)

I don’t have a main gig if that’s what you mean.

JOE

So…you actually work here for full time?

WESLEY

Yup.

JOE

Cool. That’s nice.

(hastily changing the topic)

Doing anything decent this weekend?

WESLEY

Not so much.

(beat)

Oh actually I think the family’s going to Alton Towers.

JOE

Alton Towers? Cool.

At this point in the conversation Mary decides to speak up.

MARY

Alton Towers? A poor man’s Disney.

(beat)

Sort of place where you say send someone who’s dying, from something that’s not that serious. By the way, hi Joe!

JOE

Oh hi… Mary?

She nods.

The air is heavy with silence.

JOE

Right, well I guess I’ll you later.

WESLEY

Yeah. Will do. Have to catch up or something.

JOE

Right. Yeah.

As Joe heads for the exit, Wesley picks up his book, knowing full well they won’t.

MARY

Isn’t he that Joe that got his girlfriend up the duff at fifteen?

WESLEY

All right! Not so loud. Yeah, he did. Uh, Leanne was her name I think.

MARY

Gutted eh?

WESLEY

I guess. Tell you the truth, us lot at school couldn’t work out how he ever got with Leanne in the first place. Must have been his looks, cos it certainly wasn’t his personality.

At this point Joe, who has been idling at the entrance looking at a poster, turns round. Wesley continues, oblivious.

WESLEY

And yet, funny thing is, at school he was a bit of an ugly fuck.

MARY

Wait, was he the one with all the shit on his face?

WESLEY

Which Joe you talking about? The one with the acne?

MARY

Nah, the one with the piercings.

WESLEY

Oh right. No this Joe Worley was… sort of like the Milky Bar Kid.

Joe opens his mouth to interrupt, but decides against it. None of the other two have yet spotted him.

WESLEY

He was in our gang, but no one really liked him. I mean he was harmless and everything, wouldn’t, and couldn’t hurt a fly. It just that he was a bit of a dick- all snooty nosed and superior. We’d just sort of ignore him I guess.

MARY

Didn’t Leanne turn out to be a lesbian later?

This is too much for poor Joe.

JOE

She was bisexual!

Wesley turns his head and realises in horror that Joe’s heard the whole conversation.

WESLEY

Joe! Oh…

(laughs nervously)

Christ. We weren’t…I mean we weren’t talking about you. No, um- another Joe. You know that Joe?

JOE

(angrily)

The one with the shit on his face!?

WESLEY

Yeah! That one. God…he was a right bastard, you remember him?

JOE

You were talking about me!

WESLEY

What? No we wasn’t.

MARY

Yes you were.

Wesley eyes Joe’s superior physique nervously.

WESLEY

I wasn’t. I assure you.

JOE

Oh fuck this. You know, I don’t care about any of that stuff you said. That was back in school. Some of us are different people now. You though, you’re still the same, I can tell. I bet you’re still living with your parents. Come Valentine’s Day I bet you’re still sat at home with your mum, watching Love Actually. Still collecting those frickin’ stamps.

MARY

(a beat)

He does. Cept for the stamps. He’s moved on to Magic cards. And I think it was Calendar Girls last time…

WESLEY

(hisses)

Shut up!

Joe spots Wesley’s book, entitled “Definitive Guide to Screenwriting�. He walks over and picks it up, and waves it Wesley’s face.

JOE

(continuing)

Hey Wesley- did you ever finish that film script of yours? The one that was going to make you rich and famous?

Wesley scratches his neck, trying to come up with a reply. Joe it seems, in the intervening years, has grown massive. Words are struggling to form.

JOE

Guess not. Seeing as you’re working in this shitty little place. No offence Mary.center]

MARY

Hey it’s true.

JOE

You know Wesley, I’m gonna give you a bit of advice. Just… get a life. Get laid, whatever. Get out of this funk you’re obviously in.

Joe walks away from the two, one of whom is stunned into silence. At the door he turns round once more, and adds somewhat nonchalantly-

JOE

Oh and if I ever hear you speak like that about me again- I’ll beat the shit out of you, you pathetic schlepper.

He leaves. As the doors settle, silence again reigns. Wesley is sat at his desk, mouth agape.

The awkwardness continues until Mary starts to laugh hysterically. Wesley manages a smile.

MARY

Heh, schlepper!

WESLEY

Shut it you.

7. INT. SHOP, KIOSK- MID-MORNING

Typing away at his computer, Wesley stops suddenly and turns to Mary, who is sat next to him, lazily reading some celebrity magazine.

WESLEY

Get this. It says here, if the history of the planet was represented by the Empire State Building, the time that human beings have been on earth would only be a postage stamp at the very top. You realise how insignificant that makes us? Makes me?

MARY

(shrugs)

I don’t feel that way.

Shaking his head, Wesley continues typing. After a moment, he turns back to Mary again-

WESLEY

You know, I don’t know why I do this. I actually don’t know why…I hate this job. I hate the lights, I hate the heat, I hate having to be articulate, I hate sweating, I hate the fucking customers. Is there a job…what job can I do that’s basically lying down… with air conditioning?

MARY

(looking up from her magazine, considering)

That’s…uh, astronaut?

WESLEY

Astronaut? Yeah, I’ll do that. Actually, saying that. I like the idea of pissing in the clothes you have to wear all day.

MARY

Eww. Yeah that’s true. And eating through a straw.

WESLEY

That’s it, I’m gonna be an astronaut.

MARY

Didn’t your parents give you this job though?

WESLEY

Yeah. They’re close friends with the manager.

MARY

Got ya. Guess they wanted to have you on the straight and narrow after the whole… uni dropout thing huh?

WELSEY

Yeah. On a leash more like.

Leonard bumbles into the scene, pushing a trolley, obviously having heard their exchange.

WESLEY

Lenny! What’s your thoughts on this?

Leonard stops pushing the trolley and considers this.

LEONARD

Don’t call me Lenny. It’s Leonard. Anyway, I’ve been thinking. You know how pandas have problems conceiving? Like they’re nearly extinct and everything? I was thinking…I was thinking they should invent panda lingerie. Sexy…crouch-less…lingerie.

(a beat)

MARY

Uh Leonard, stop stealing my oxygen.

8. INT. SHOP, OFFICE

Wesley sits at a desk, tapping his pen against a blank piece of paper.

WESLEY (V.O)

10:30, gotta be. Hour and a half, lunch. I’m at the half way point.

He gets up from the chair, and walks aimlessly around the small, featureless room.

WESLEY (V.O)

Don’t look at your watch. Save that for later. Treat yourself.

CUT TO:

He’s flipping through a record book, but his eyes have that glazed over look.

WESLEY (V.O)

Quarter to eleven. Maybe ten to.

There’s a wall clock in the room, it’ a struggle for him not to snatch a glance at it.

WESLEY (V.O)

Don’t look. Think about those sandwiches you’ve got. With the mayonnaise and that little carrot thing you like. With each delectable bite, you’re nearer to having half the day behind you. Don’t look.

CUT TO:

The silence is almost unbearable- Wesley is the embodiment of boredom- he finally starts to write on that piece of paper.

WESLEY (V.O)

11:30, has to be. Look at the sun out there. The angle of it. It could even be 12:00. Who knows? You’ve been so busy after all. Okay, look now.

He lets out a slow sigh, then finally looks at his watch. It reads 10:55.

WESLEY

SHIT!

CLOSE ON the piece of paper. It reads “All work and no play makes Wesley a dull boy�.

9. INT. SHOP, CUSTOMER SERVICE DESK- DAY

Wesley is speaking intently on the phone.

WESLEY

Right. No that’s fine. Okay. One last detail if I may- place of residence?

(beat)

Outside Birmingham? Right.

(speaks under his breath)

So’s mine you fuckwit.

Okay. Sure. That would be great. Yeah I’ll hold.

10. INT. SHOP, AISLE- DAY

It’s finally lunchtime. Strutting down the aisle, sandwich in hand, Wesley SINGS along to the store music. Getting a bit carried away, he turns a corner and bumps into a YOUNG WOMAN

WESLEY YOUNG WOMAN

I’m sorry! Oh I’m sorry!

They have a moment, they both like the look of the other.

YOUNG WOMAN

Hey.

WESLEY

(chokes on his sandwich)

Hey!

YOUNG WOMAN

Nice sweater. Hand-knit?

WESLEY

Certainly not by me!

YOUNG WOMAN

I didn’t mean, I meant, it’s a great sweater.

WESLEY

Oh, well, I’ll pass that on then.

(a beat)

To the person who knit it. I mean, I would…if I knew who did. But I don’t. So…I won’t pass it on to anyone will I?

YOUNG WOMAN

Okay…

(obviously weirded out)

Bye.

She walks away, leaving Wesley alone in the aisle. He doesn’t look that troubled however- this obviously happens a lot.

11. INT. SHOP, CUSTOMER SERVICE DESK- CONTINUING

Wesley is still on hold, visibly getting more ticked off.

INT. SHOP, KIOSK- DAY

MARY

No but seriously Wes, I can’t cover you anymore if you drop another crate, cos I think you’ve dropped four, like in the last three months, and the boss is getting cranky.

WESLEY

I know, I know.

MARY

We can only use the wobbly shelf defence so many times before theyâ€â€

15. INT. SPORTS WORLD, STAFFROOM- AFTERNOON

Wesley is trying out the new office espresso machine. It’s very SLOW and NOISY. Mary comes over and joins him. They watch the slow build up of coffee.

MARY

I didn’t know you were writing a film script.

WESLEY

Yeah.

The espresso machine marches on. Wesley lets out a sigh.

WESLEY

What am I gonna do?

MARY

About your script?

WESLEY

No, about me. What am I gonna do? My life, what I’m doin’? I’m nineteen, twenty in two weeks. I got nothin’. In his own way, Joe was right.

Wesley gives up on the espresso machine and sits back down.

WESLEY

(continuing)

In my script, for every character I try and create an arc. They behave in a certain manner, something happens to him or her, and they change, they develop in some way. It’s called an arc.

Mary sits down opposite him, running her fingers through her hair thoughtfully.

WESLEY

The main character in my script is a female cop. She’s also a wife, with two kids- but that’s her secondary occupation. She’s all about the police work. That’s her life. Her bread and butter. But then this one day she’s involved in a bank heist. She gets severely injured and her partner is killed. She has a sort of epiphany- she realises that she’s been a terrible wife, and an even worse mother. So the film is about her reacquainting herself with her family. That’s her arc.

The espresso machine has finally finished filling up Wesley’s mug. Mary kindly passes it to him.

WESLEY

So what I’m saying is- what’s my arc?

Mary shakes her head, shrugging apologetically.

16. INT. SHOP, MANAGER’S OFFICE- AFTERNOON

We see Wesley sat in a chair, in a state of shock. Opposite him is the manager, who is equally silent. After a few seconds, Wesley decides to break the tension.

WESLEY

I’m sorry, what?

MANAGER

You’re fired.

(a beat)

Out of the job. Pan into the fire. Evicted. Expelled, cast out. Etcetera.

Silence reigns once more.

WESLEY (V.O)

They say that when you click your fingers an African child dies.

Wesley is digesting this disturbing news until the manager starts laughing manically. So abrupt is this interruption, Wesley jumps out of his seat.

MANAGER

Or at least you could be!

(clicks his fingers)

Relax; nobody’s getting fired yet. I brought you here today, not to fire you, but to give you a friendly warning. There are certain cut backs that have to be made. Times are tight. We gotta free up some cash. You how it is.

WESLEY

No sir, actually I don’t.

MANAGER

(sighs)

Here at management, we have to assess who is valuable, and who is expendable. It’s a hard process to explain to someone with such…inexperience.

The manager gets up from his desk, and walks to window, pondering on how to continue.

MANAGER

I guess you’re uh,

(clicks his fingers rapidly)

What I like to call an endangered species. See extinction is a natural process. You know 95% of all species that ever lived, from the T-rex to the Neanderthal man, are long since dead and gone. There are some species that are unlikely to live into the third millennium.

At this point, the manager starts to walk round the room, circling Wesley in a somewhat predatory fashion.

Today for example? The rarest breed of mammals are things like, the kouprey, the pygmy hog, the changjiang dolphin, the Northern hairy nosed wombat.

(clicks his fingers)

You Wesley, are the hairy- nosed wombat. You are on the cusp of being…extinct. From this job that is.

The manager, satisfied with his little anecdote, sits back down behind his desk. He cracks his knuckles.

MANAGER

But for now, I just want you to fill out this questionnaire, mapping out fully your contributions. I want you to take an extra shift. Non-flexible. And, because of afore mentioned cut backs- you’re pay is being reduced by…

(checks the account book on his desk, before adding somewhat happily)

32%! Wesley, no horse face old chap. Its just business.

17. INT. SPORTS WORLD, BATHROOM- DAY

Wesley has a long, soul-searching moment looking in the mirror. A lot of conflicting emotions are running through him. He turns to leave, before quickly neatening his tie.

18. EXT. STREET- AFTERNOON

We FOLLOW Wesley walking along the street (side profile) until he reaches the outside of a fast food restaurant. He takes a last few puffs of his cigarette.

19. INT. FAST FOOD RESTURANT- AFTERNOON

Two cashiers are manning the tills, complaining about their lot in life.

CASHIER 1

Customers man, sometimes I just wanna rip their heads off. I don’t know why I do this, I hate the heat, I hate the lights…

20. EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

Wesley notes a sign up on the restaurant’s door- “Try one of our curries- you’ll never get better�- this gets a little chuckle out of an otherwise morose Wesley. Crushing the cigarette underfoot, and figuring he’s got nothing better to do, he enters the fast food restaurant.

21. INT. FAST FOOD RESTURANT- CONTINUING

CASHIER 1

I hate the grease, the shitty pay…

CASHIER 2

With you there.

Wesley enters the shot and starts to order, before-

CASHIER 1

SMILE your at Mr. Smileys! How can I help you my good man?

WESLEY

(a little startled)

Uh, burger please.

CASHIER 1

You want fries with that?

WESLEY

Yes. Large fries please.

CASHIER 1

Okay, that’ll be 1.89-

WESLEY

(interjecting)

Wait, uh three portions.

CASHIER 2

You want three large portions of fries?

WESLEY

Yes.

(counts money)

Yes I would.

CASHIER 1

Okay. Just be a moment.

22. INT. FAST FOOD RESTURANT- CONTINUING

Slowly munching on his (enormous) pile of French fries, we see Wesley in a sort of trance. Some guys on the next table are talking obnoxiously in a loud manner. A couple are on another table. A baby is crying somewhere. A large guy taps Wesley on his shoulder.

WESLEY

What?

LARGE GUY

Move your ass. This is my seat.

WESLEY

…Huh?

LARGE GUY

This is where I sit, every fuckin’ day. And now I find you all over it. So could you move?

But Wesley couldn’t be paying him less attention if he tried. The large guy’s voice seems to go and go on, irritating him if anything. The crowd noise seems to get louder and louder, building to a crescendo until…silence.

WESLEY (V.O)

I sat there in that restaurant, and things started to fall into place. I figured that if I did all the things my parents suggested I do, which were all very sensible, all I’d end up with at the end of the day is really nice coffin, instead of a cheap coffin. So I thought, there in that restaurant, what the hell?

Somewhere in the restaurant some rock ballad is playing on an old stereo system. Everything seems to be moving at half speed. Wesley grabs his nametag from his chest and snaps it in half. He takes off his work apron and throws it across the room.

The large guy looks ready to hit him, but Wesley unexpectedly reacts by squirting ketchup in the guy’s face.

LARGE GUY

What the-

Wesley laughs hysterically for several long moments. Tears are almost coming to his eyes; he’s struggling to string together words. Ketchup slowly drips down the guy’s face.

WESLEY

You…you look so silly!

Suddenly, as if possessed, Wesley begins to throw French fries all over the place: at the people, the walls, on the floors, on the ceiling, everywhere. The people are furious. Many of the patrons challenge him but Wesley pays no attention and continues throwing the fries. The large guy backs away, freaked out by Wesley’s behaviour. Wesley meanwhile is singing along to the song, dancing slightly, having a ball.

He tears his work tie off, stamping on it in time to the music. As the song’s chorus comes to its end, Wesley is stood up in the middle of the restaurant, triumphant- the whole restaurant in uproar. Completely out of control, and yet for the first time in a long time, Wesley is IN control.

CUT TO:

23. EXT. STREET- DAY

Two burly types throwing Wesley out of the restaurant- quite literally. All Wesley can do though is laugh, as he gets up and shakes himself off. Still laughing, he has a long stretch. His face is aglow. He suddenly has an idea. He gets out his mobile and speed dials a number.

WESLEY

Hi. Could you possibly connect me to the manager? Thank you so much. Okay.

24. INT. SHOP, MANAGER’S OFFICE

The manager picks up the phone

MANAGER

Good afternoon, how may I help you?

EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

WESLEY

(in a high voice)

Hey hey HEY mutherfocker!

INT. SHOP, MANAGER’S OFFICE- CONTINUING

MANAGER

What the fuck? Who is this?

EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

WESLEY

Wesley Turner, sir.

MANAGER

Wesley? What the hell is wrong with you?

EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

Wesley

(smiles slightly before answering)

Though I concede that question is perpetually applicable, in this particular case I just wanted to get a few things off my chest. Well firstly; I quit, for which I’m very sorry. I will miss sorely the crappy pay and long hours. But most of all, I’m so sorry about your divorce.

MANAGER

Divorce? I’m not having a divorce!

EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

WESLEY

Well, its just that I know about that time you used the company MasterCard to pay for that hooker? And then she used the card numbers and stayed at the St. Bernard hotel for, what was it, like three months?

The manager rises out of his throne indignantly.

MANAGER

That is nothing but gossip!

EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

WESLEY

Gossip the IRS would keenly be interested in. It being fraud and all. And I’m sure some of your business rivals, my parents, they might like to know about it as well. Oh, not to mention…

(he has to cover his mouth to stop laughing)

Your wife!

INT. SHOP, MANAGER’S OFFICE

MANAGER

But but-

25. EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

Wesley hangs up.

Something in Wesley has changed, he’s standing a little taller, he eschews a new confidence. He puts the mobile back in his pocket, and let’s loose a big smile. Peace.

WESLEY (V.O)

Right then, a lot of things were running through my mind. There were a lot of things still left to be done.

MONTAGE, moving left to right in transition.

A) Joe, with some girl, laughing at a joke.

B) Leonard, playing Word Puzzle 3D on his lonesome.

C) The manager, pacing his room in worry.

WESLEY (V.O)

I was never gonna mention the hooker to anyone. He didn’t know that. Might have even made him a better husband. Who knows?

D) JUMP CUTS of Mary- her brushing her hair, looking out the window, stretching her feet out over the desk, taking out her wallet- looking at the photo with herself and Wesley.

WESLEY (V.O)

There was Mary. There was always Mary. I wanted to say all those little things I had been meaning to say. It was time to be honest.

26. EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

Wesley walks down the street- he’s in this happy trance.

MONTAGE (continues)

D) Wesley’s parents, playing a game of cards together.

WESLEY (V.O)

I was gonna have a sit down with my parents- something long overdue. I’d tell them I love them, and that I respect them. But I was gonna live my own life.

27. EXT. STREET- CONTINUING

Wesley crosses the street. He doesn’t see the car coming until its too late. It HITS him at full impact.

FADE TO BLACK:

We hear a scream, and more shouting, as people begin to gather at the incident.

CUT TO:

The sky, clouds, a bright yellow sun.

WESLEY (V.O)

Didn’t see that coming. I suppose I should be pretty pissed off about what happened to me. But I don’t think I am. I’m glad that I got things together in those last few moments. There was so much clarity; it was almost too sharp for my eyes. I was happy, and that’s probably the main thing. Hell, I guess the manager of Sports World didn’t mind that much.

My name is Wesley Turner. I’m nineteen years old. Yet I feel like I’m the oldest guy in the world, with this special wisdom, this truth, that hits me, like the sweet taste of marzipan. You have no idea what I’m talking about I’m sure. But don’t worry-

FADE TO BLACK:

You will some day

ROLL CREDITS

END

[quote]You have no idea what I’m talking about I’m sure. But don’t worry-

FADE TO BLACK:

You will some day[/quote]
Please don’t do that.

Some good stuff. I love your ending. Just by reading the ending, I’ve got the whole take on who Wesley is at that point in the script. great. keep it up. yes i read the whole script. ^-^

Cheers for the comments- lol I don’t expect anyone to sit down and read the whole thing :stuck_out_tongue:

It funny- two posts, two different opinions on the ending. I’m keeping the end sentence by the way- it’ll work.

And another thing- I really don’t mind if you don’t like certain bits- thats sort of to be expected- but don’t just SAY you don’t like so and so, I need WHY. A sentence, anything.

Cheers :wink:

The dialogue was all very well written but the story never really

seemed to go anywhere until the end. I also thought it was kinda

odd that when Joe, the guy Wesley used to call a loser was tearing

him a new one he just sat there and took it, but when his boss lowered

his pay he just snapped.

Its one of these things- I reckon it’ll play a lot better on film. I like to think Joe sets Wesley on the path to snapping, or at least in that frame of mind.

I got a new draft anyways, pretty different beginning and end, so maybe I’ll just post that on a different thread.

But cheers for the comments DexPac :slight_smile: