Sha Po Lang (2005 - Sammo Hung, Donnie Yen, Simon Yam)

I didn’t really have a serious problem, I could follow them and all, but I only got barely the outlines of what they’re talking about. And don’t get me wrong, I’m definetely not some ignorant asshole like on the imdb, who doesn’t like to watch a movie because it has subs. You know, they’re always saying stuff like: “When I go to the movies, I don’t want to read, I want to relax myself.” I watch a lot of asian movies, and they’re all coming with subs, I just find it sad, when they’re so fast, that I have to stick my head constantly to the lower third of the screen, thus missing all the visuals. So I have to admit, that one second per line of sub is sometimes a bit fast for me, depending of the length of it. But usually I don’t let that spoil the movie for me; as you can see, I gave “S.P.L.” some really good marks.

@Contrai

I also don’t like watching movies without subs. And I can’t believe there are people out there, saying: “You don’t need subs with Versus, it’s all about the action”. I’ve been told that as I was bitching about the fact, that the Ultimate Version of the movie didn’t come with subs. Well, most certainly it’s about the action, but somewhere there’s also a story in there. It may be sketchy and thin, but it also works within it’s boundaries and provides the characters with something like contour.

Donnie Yen talking about SPL, Dragon Tiger Gate other future projects: http://www.kungfucinema.com/articles/20060313_01.htm

“…right now I’m working on SPL 2. It’s going to be Wilson and me, and all the same production people. It’s going to be about cops in Macao, sort of like Training Day in Macao, and it will have a bigger budget than SPL”

Thanx for the link.

from MonekyPeaches:

Donnie Yen had a face-to-face chat with a few hundred college students at Peking University last Sunday. During the chat, he said the script for Sha Po Lang 2 was being written and the shooting would begin by June. No one is cast yet for the movie, which is produced by Donnie Yen. Does this mean no one from the original Sha Po Lang, including Donnie Yen will return for the sequel? He said the sequel would tell another unrelated crime story and would be much brighter, much more splendid and much more colorful.

Damn! Just saw this and its one hell of a movie, i loved the direction and visuals (which were very colorful and pretty at times). And obviously the action/fighting scnes were amazing. I was wondering though did anybody cringe when Chan Kwok Chung got stabbed in the hand by the large knife and Wong Po is twisting and yanking it around…i dont know but that whole scene were the blade is stuck in his hand was pretty graphic. One scene i really loved though was when the film ended at the beach, i though it was really beautiful with the music and all. Im looking forward to watching this many more times in the furture.

I almost forgot…the subtitles did seem fast to me also, i had to go back and pause many times, and found myself staring at the lower half of the screen while not enjoying the scene fully.

I don’t remember the subtitles being fast at all. But then again, I’m a pretty fast reader. I figure I need to be fast to catch all the subtitles and absorb all the visuals of a film.