The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Selling Ideas

Ever watch the credits and see ‘based on an idea by’. Some guy got paid for that. I’ve got about 25 ideas for scripts that I’m just too lazy to sit down and write. Right now, there is just too much going on and I am in a SERIOUS dry spell. If I knew how too sell these ideas, I’d be happy to let them go. BUT !!! It’s all about connections.

hehe I’m the same way. I wrote a script(unfinshed btw)and it was a revenge movie, I would really like to finish it then see what happens.

The guys whose ideas come from, often get nothing or almost nothing. Like Pierre Bismut who came with the first idea for Eternal Sunshine, then later worked by Gondry and the script was finally written by Kaufman has everyone knows. Gondry yelled cause none of him and Bismut got anything financial for the original idea and never had any credit either. The whole credit came to Kaufman who wrote an excellent script but “based on an idea by”.

So be careful to “sell” your ideas. You should find an appropriated co-writer and develop your ideas with him/her. Safer and you’ll learn more too.

I can’t say I’ve ever seen anyone get credit for just an idea. Usually if they contributed enough to be credited it would be a ‘Story By’ credit.

I don’t think you can really get a copyright on just an idea but I’m not sure. I think it depends on how detailed the idea is. Cause two people could start with the same basic idea and still churn out completely different screenplays.