The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Script help

Hello, I am new around here. I better introduce myself first. The name’s Anthony D’Onofrio. I’m 19 years of age and I’m a musician, guitar player to be specific and that is my school major. I am also very interested in movies, especially QT movies. I can’t remember the first QT that I saw, but it was either Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction about 4 or 5 years ago. Most recently I have purcahsed the Death Proof DVD, which I think is an amazing movie with killer dialogue, classic QT! Since viewing the movie I have purcahsed the Grindhouse companion book and the Death Proof script, which I am finding to be very entertaining to read. Anyway, let’s get to the topic. I am currently taking a basic American Film history class. As an option for out class project, we can write a script. Obviously it’s not going to be some super long script, but a decent size. I would really like to take on the challenge of writing a script. I don’t have any concrete ideas for a story yet, but that is curently under development. I am just wondering if you guys could give me some basic pointers on writing scripts, correct format, abbreviations, and anything else that you think would be helpful to me in getting started. Thanks for any and all help!

well, you could start by putting a little superglue on your fingertips and practicing the pentatonic scale. Just kidding, you need some good pot and an old fashioned type-writer. All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. Just kidding. there isn’t any advice that I can give you.

have a great day!

Lol, well, thank you for that bit of inspiration.

Do you have a specific problem or do you just want random advice?

All I can really say is check out screenwriting.info and get yourself a screenwriting

program. There’s one called Celtx that’s free. Also surf the forum a bit there’s some

good stuff here.

Thanks for that. And yes, I’m just kind of looking for any random info that would help me. I guess I need to figure out what I want to do first, and then I can have more specific questions.

Are you related to Vincent D’Onofrio?

^ Haha, no I’m not, but my brothers name is Vincent, lol. I get asked that pretty often.

My first middle name (I have two) is Vincent. :slight_smile:

^ Nice.