The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Screenplay Classifieds

I got an e-mail about this site through a newsletter I subscribed to a long

time ago. Thought it might be of use to the people trying to sell their scripts

rather than making them. It’s basically a listing of small production companies

that are looking for scripts.

http://www.screenplayshollywood.blogspot.com/

I figure it’s better than paying a site like script blaster to send out your query

letter to production companies that aren’t even looking for new projects.

do people really think that this kind of thing works? I mean, really…do you think that a reputable production company wants a script that was written by someone too lazy to bring it to their office? Please, keep dreaming.

LOL! You think that everyone that’s ever sold a script hand delivered it?

Query letters are a huge part of how spec-scripts get sold. You just gotta

make sure the check clears before you sign away your script rights, but

that’s true no matter how “reputable” the company is. Please, keep not

knowing what you’re talking about when you post.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
do people really think that this kind of thing works? I mean, really…do you think that a reputable production company wants a script that was written by someone too lazy to bring it to their office? Please, keep dreaming.
[/quote]

yea but if you think like that ur script will never go no where.

[quote=“Jjp”]
yea but if you think like that ur script will never go no where.
[/quote]
yeah, they write it down on some toilet paper and wipe their asses with it. then it gets flushed down the $5,000.00 toilet.

yea without a doubt i think dem sites are bullshet but im sayin the whole point of a company actually liken a script of yours.

never trust blogspot, it’s probably some idiot with nothing better to do. (It’s not me)

As long as you’ve registered your script with the WGA and gone through

the whole copyright thing (which you should do with any full length script,

even if you’re trying to make the film yourself), you’ve got nothing to worry

about. Just don’t sign away the rights to your film without proper payment

first.

Any sort of writer serious about selling his art knows that query letters are the

way to go. Granted, if someone shows interest in your work you might have to

do a little research to make sure that the said person is with a legit company

or maybe even hire a lawyer/agent to look over the contract before you sign it,

but unless you know somebody query letters are the easiest way to “break into

the business” if you don’t have the means to make the film yourself.

If anyone who had the ability to write a quality screenplay had the sheer stupidity to submit it to an internet screenplay classified he deserves to get fucked six ways to sunday. I am sorry, but if you are willing to work that hard on something you should at least take the time and spend the money on a quality agent to market the god-damn thing.

Yeah, well there is a list of potential agents on the site too, but it’s

basically the same process as trying to sell the script. The only

difference is that when you’re trying to sell the script yourself you

send the query letter to a bunch of producers and when you’re trying

to get an agent you send your query letter to a bunch agencies who

then send the query letter to a bunch of producers.

did u send anything into the site?

[quote=“DexPac”]
Yeah, well there is a list of potential agents on the site too, but it’s

basically the same process as trying to sell the script. The only

difference is that when you’re trying to sell the script yourself you

send the query letter to a bunch of producers and when you’re trying

to get an agent you send your query letter to a bunch agencies who

then send the query letter to a bunch of producers.
[/quote]
reputable agents know the right people to get the script to - it is all part of the system - you are going to have to pay some asshole a cut of your potential profits just for knowing someone - it sucks, but it is a fact of life. Sure, some guys get lucky and open the right door - but usually they were just in the right place at the right time - I wouldn’t be banking my future on luck if screenwriting was my game -

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
reputable agents know the right people to get the script to - it is all part of the system - you are going to have to pay some asshole a cut of your potential profits just for knowing someone - it sucks, but it is a fact of life. Sure, some guys get lucky and open the right door - but usually they were just in the right place at the right time - I wouldn’t be banking my future on luck if screenwriting was my game -
[/quote]

great statement if you write but if your trying to write and direct i would probably try to make the film independant rather than trying to get a company to pick it up, which i am going to try to do.

[quote=“Jjp”]
great statement your write but if your ttrying to write and direct i would probably try to make the film independant rather than trying to get a company to pick it up.
[/quote]
like I said, some guys get lucky. If you are waiting for your lucky day you may be waiting a long time. You could be working in a video store when you’re fifty.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
like I said, some guys get lucky. If you are waiting for your lucky day you may be waiting a long time. You could be working in a video store when you’re fifty.
[/quote]

aahahaha yeaa.

here’s my advice: start working in a video store today, and meanwhile get some scripts on paper

it kinda worked just fine for someone we all like here! :wink:

QT is an exceptionally talented individual. He was, however, in the right place at the right time. Wayne Gretsky once said that he wasn’t the best hockey player ever, he just took the most shots.

yea i mean working in a video store is not gonna make you a good filmmaker or a good screenwriter besides just doing it because QT did it is not very original.

[quote=“Jjp”]
did u send anything into the site?
[/quote]

No, you don’t send anything to the actual site. It’s just if you see a production company

that’s looking for the type of script that yours is you send them a one page letter

describing your screenplay and maybe just a bit about your own accomplishments.

If they’re interested they’ll ask you to send in a treatment or sometimes the full script.

I’ve never used this one but Screenwriter’s Utopia used to have a similar list but it was

always pretty out dated. By the time I sent my stuff in most of them said they had already

started production on something.

[quote=“Jjp”]
great statement if you write but if your trying to write and direct i would probably try to make the film independant rather than trying to get a company to pick it up, which i am going to try to do.
[/quote]

Yeah, this was more meant for those of us who know we don’t have the drive, money,

man power or experience to produce a full length feature worth watching let alone worth

buying. I think the odds of me selling a script are better than the odds of actually completing

a decent film.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
QT is an exceptionally talented individual. He was, however, in the right place at the right time. Wayne Gretsky once said that he wasn’t the best hockey player ever, he just took the most shots.
[/quote]

That’s a great quote. Just think of sending in a lot of query letters as taking a lot

of shots and you get what I’ve been trying to say this whole time. Rather than just

sending query letters out to agencies you can send that same letter to the production

companies yourself, thus, doubling your chances of being noticed.

[quote]Yeah, this was more meant for those of us who know we don’t have the drive, money,

man power or experience to produce a full length feature worth watching let alone worth

buying. I think the odds of me selling a script are better than the odds of actually completing

a decent film.[/quote]

Yea i shoot films alot and i think for me it would be easyier to that i kinda semi have the man power and the only issue is money which i have been saving for a long time now trying to get a budget of 15 grand.