The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Scratches on DVDs

I bought a DVD out of ebay and there are some scratches on it - fucking deep, but nevertheless the DVD is playable.

I´m not sure if I should sent it back or not. That´s the reason why I would like to know what you guys think about scratches on DVDs.

I try to be carefull with my DVDs and I hate it, when other peoples fuck around with discs.

btw, there is an ad in a german movie mag which says that they can save every DVD with deep scratches which is not playable anymore. A lie?

It’s mostly only the scratches that penetrates the actual surface of the DVD responsible for the data on the DVD that stop them from working.

I fucking hate scratches too, and when I let somebosy borrow my DVD’s (or CD’s) and they com eback with scratches, I get into a deadly rage and mouth of profanities.

Back to the point, if the DVD works and works well, I don’t see why you should try to get it fixed, afterall, it ain’t broke :slight_smile:

If you’re anything like me though, you’d send it back. I can’t stand scratches even if the disk works. Also, it’d be a shame if the disk stopped working later on.

It’s whether you feel strongly against the scratches that matter. Afterall, it isn’t the scratches you’ll be watching, but the data it displays.

I bought the DVD Crying Fists for less money and I could change it, but I should pay for the mail…

That´s why I think of it.

[quote=“Tanukihime”]
I bought the DVD Crying Fists for less money and I could change it, but I should pay for the mail…

That´s why I think of it.
[/quote]

Well, if the DVD works fine and you think it will carry on working fine, there’s no point going through the hassle of getting it replaced.

I wouldn’t even care. I once took a knife to the plastic side and it still played.

I’ve bought movies with no scratches that don’t play. And then theres those movies that don’t friggin play in my Playstation2. >:( The fact that it works would override my wanting to go through the hassle of mailing it back and getting something else I didn’t want.

I get more annoyed with damaged dvd covers than with scratches. I don’t know why, but I’m obsessed with covers. I go into a deep outrage when I buy one of those damn Warner Bros snapper cases and tear off the cover when trying to remove the sticker. I even re-purchased the same friggin dvd cause of this. Scratches don’t bother me that much if there are only the occasional one or two and if the dvd is still playable. I mean I’ve rented some dvds that had the surface full of a thousand scratches and they still play perfectly on my player.

i’m extremely careful with my DVD’s, the cases, the discs, the slips, everything, i never touch the surface, always hold it with my finger through the hole in the middle, even though it doesnt really make a diffrence i even get pissed when there are fingerprints on it, it should be clean totally, when i buy a DVD on ebay i always make sure it’s sealed, unless it’s really rare and used, then i’ll make an exception

dunnu what to do about scratches, never had em :stuck_out_tongue: send it back when it’s not playable anymore, if not keep it, too much trouble

[quote=“Scarface”]
I get more annoyed with damaged dvd covers than with scratches. I don’t know why, but I’m obsessed with covers. I go into a deep outrage when I buy one of those damn Warner Bros snapper cases and tear off the cover when trying to remove the sticker. I even re-purchased the same friggin dvd cause of this. Scratches don’t bother me that much if there are only the occasional one or two and if the dvd is still playable. I mean I’ve rented some dvds that had the surface full of a thousand scratches and they still play perfectly on my player.
[/quote]

Haha, I’m exactly the same. It takes me like half an hour to open the plastic wrapping they use to cover DVD cases. Why the fuck do they make it so hard to open? The bastards!! I have to be extra extra careful not to damage the DVD case. After buying all these DVD and opening that many see-through plastic covering, I still haven’t managed to figure out the best way of opening them.

Once, I bought Apocalypse Now Redux on DVD. Anyway, I was in love with it (Well I’m in love with all except one or two of my DVD’s). So I was being very VERY careful not to damage the case. Well as usual I was having trouble trying to remove the plastic cover. So I used the pointy bit of this Eiffel Tower model we have in my sitting room. So there I was carefully trying to tear the cover off to then slide up and over the DVD case. I succeeded. I used the sharp tip to carefully jab into the side of the dvd, wrip it and take the cover off. Then, as I was going to pick up some of the torn off plastic cover up form the floor, I accidentally jabbed the Eiffel tower model (which I was still holding) in to the back of the DVD case. There was a FUCKING HOLE in my DVD case and it was pretty big. I was fucking furious. I didn’t know what to do. I thought about going to have it replaced. Anyway, after 10 minutes of sulking, I decided to put a sticker over the hole. It still looks shit though.

Haha, I will probably never look at the back of a DVD case once I have bought it, but I can’t sleep at night knowing there is a hole in my DVD case :’(

[quote=“Johny_Exhale”]
i’m extremely careful with my DVD’s, the cases, the discs, the slips, everything, i never touch the surface, always hold it with my finger through the hole in the middle, even though it doesnt really make a diffrence i even get pissed when there are fingerprints on it, it should be clean totally, when i buy a DVD on ebay i always make sure it’s sealed, unless it’s really rare and used, then i’ll make an exception

dunnu what to do about scratches, never had em :stuck_out_tongue: send it back when it’s not playable anymore, if not keep it, too much trouble
[/quote]

That’s got to be bullshit. No matter how careful I am, one of my CD’s/DVD’s always gets scratched. I don’t know how the fuck that can happen. I always put my finger through the middle hole like you do, I never touch the surface, and it goes from the DVD/CD case, to my DVD Player/Hi-Fi and back into the case, where the fuck do the scratches come from? I swear someone goes down into the room where I keep my DVD’s at night and then scratches them just to annoy me. Wankers.

I can totally relate Ify. Those stickers are useless. And they’re only present on R1 releases, I don’t know why. Region 2 DVDS don’t have any of that shit. I mean sometimes the stickers ain’t even stuck to the plastic keep case, but to the actual dvd cover! When you try to remove them you just tear everything up and make a whole mess. But now I’ve got my own little method to deal with those stickers. I just use a blade and cut through the sticker so that I could open the case with the sticker still attached to the case. I don’t remove any stickers anymore. I’ve already had my share of bad luck with this shit. Me says no more.

Well so far, most of the DVD’s I have bought (from England) have had that God forsaken see-through plastic wrap around it.

[quote=“The Pink Floyd”]
No matter how careful I am, one of my CD’s/DVD’s always gets scratched. I don’t know how the fuck that can happen. I always put my finger through the middle hole like you do, I never touch the surface, and it goes from the DVD/CD case, to my DVD Player/Hi-Fi and back into the case, where the fuck do the scratches come from? I swear someone goes down into the room where I keep my DVD’s at night and then scratches them just to annoy me. Wankers.
[/quote]

Some dvd-players cause scratches. At least my PS2 does that. It’s rare, but it happens.

I’m rather used to scratches. As 95% of dvds I buy are imports from Japan, Korea, HK, USA etc. you can’t expect every single disc to arrive in pristine condition. It would help if the international post stopped using my dvds as a football, though… But I rarely return any damaged dvds because my Pioneer is able to read pretty much anything, no matter how scratched it is. If there’s serious damage, then I may request a replacement depending on where I bought it (for example play.com and cdwow have excellent customer service, you’ll get your replacement in no time).

Yeah, Pioneer is the fucking shit. I have a DV-575 and it plays absolutely everything. It even makes toast for me. My Kill Bill Vol. 2 DVD is totally knackered up. the hole in the middle is twice as big as it should be, yet my Pio still plays it whereas it doesn’t play in my X-Box, my laptop, my PC or my dad’s Toshiba DVD player.

I found the best way to open them is to use a utility knife down the crack then peel off the six stickers from the centers.

[quote=“The Pink Floyd”]
That’s got to be bullshit.
[/quote]

yet it’s not :wink: the Gods have been good to me

[quote=“Scarface”]
[/quote]

I have this problem with criterion dvds…they use these “stickers” or more labels for scanning the product to seal the whole top of the case…now the bastards don’t always put the papaer cover of the dvd under the plastic in a good way so when you rip open the sticker it tears the paper cover!!

And thats on 40 euro criterion dvds!!! I still get mad when I look at my bande apart dvd with the ripped cover… :frowning:

What also irritates me is the stickers on the front, who if you remove them leave, glue and when you get the glue off, you can still see exactly where the sticker was because there is this horrible bump in the plastic! You can FEEL the damage!

[quote=“tarantino_is_god”]
What also irritates me is the stickers on the front, who if you remove them leave, glue and when you get the glue off, you can still see exactly where the sticker was because there is this horrible bump in the plastic! You can FEEL the damage!
[/quote]

I FEEL your pain. :’(

I HATE THAT MAN THEY ALWAYS SKIP AND MAN ITS JUST ANNOYING I TRY TO THAT THING BY CLEANING THEM BUT IT DOESN’T DO THAT MUCH SCRATCHES ON VIDEO GAMES ARE HORRIBLE TOO WHEN U GET TO A GOOD PART THE GAME STALLS AND U GOT TO STAR ALL OVER AGAIN