Sam Peckinpah: Violence Auteur

I have to watch it again, because my concentration was on something else. And does that term Western include ‘Spaghetti Westerns’?

yup

[quote=“Ify”]
Well I saw Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia the other day and i was terribly disappointed. There was nothing special about it.

[/quote]
Wow,dude watch it again and look at as a catholic redemption story and then for filmaking. Damn watch it again.

Anyway I love him.

My List:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia(My Favorite)

Pat Garret and Billy the Kid

Cross of Iron

Wild Bunch

Major Dundee

Getaway(I like it but I have problems with Jim Thompson)

Have but haven’t watched:

Killing Ellite

Can’t believe all the hatred for Wild Bunch up in here! ???

Anyways, Since '05 marks Bloody Sam’s 80th birthday. Expect some great re-releases of his films:

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

The Getaway

Major Dundee (A recently discovered longer cut with a new music score)

The Ballad of Cable Hogue

The Wild Bunch (Including a new documentary)

Ride the High Country

Pat Garret and Billy The Kid (A new cut of the film)

With the exception of Alfredo, it looks like the others will be put together in a Warners boxset ala Scorsese,Stone and Hitchcock.

Date unavailable yet.

I wish they would release Alfredo in that box. Because it is number one my favorite and number two features Warren Oates is the coolest guy ever rendered on celluloid. Laydback did you ever watch Major Dundee? I did and I didn’t really see his beef with it.

I haven’t seen Dundee yet. I saw bits and pieces of Cable Houge on the recent Peckinpah documentary that aired on the Westerns channel. Looks like an entertaining character study. Sam said that was his favorite movie he made.

[quote=“Laydback”]
I haven’t seen Dundee yet. I saw bits and pieces of Cable Houge on the recent Peckinpah documentary that aired on the Westerns channel. Looks like an entertaining character study. Sam said that was his favorite movie he made.
[/quote]
Cable Houge is a great light hearted character study. Great movie.

I cant believe some of the stuff people are saying about The Wild Bunch in here. How can you not like this movie? It boggles my mind. Its one of the best Westerns ever made and its pure Peckinpah. Its soaked in whiskey and blood and I love it. The climax is one of the most thrilling and bloody of any film ever made. Its all about the end of the Old West and the realization by the outlaws that their glory days are over. Awesome.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
I cant believe some of the stuff people are saying about The Wild Bunch in here. How can you not like this movie? It boggles my mind. Its one of the best Westerns ever made and its pure Peckinpah. Its soaked in whiskey and blood and I love it. The climax is one of the most thrilling and bloody of any film ever made. Its all about the end of the Old West and the realization by the outlaws that their glory days are over. Awesome.
[/quote]

Haha, well in my defence, about 1/2 way through watching the film (my dad told me to watch it), my cousin rang about some shit that happened and we ended up arguing over the phone for like half an hour or so, and I wasn’t in the mood to watch the rest of the movie but I did anyway, hence why I didn’t like it as much I should have. However, I recently saw it again, and yes it was better than the first vieing and yes it was a good film. I’d give it 8/10.

-Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia

-The Wild Bunch

-Pat Garrett and billy the kid

No one does slow motion like Peckinpah :slight_smile:

The Wild Bunch is by far the best movie I’ve ever seen William Holden is just great as Pike Bishop and Ernest Borgnine as Dutch. What an amazing ensemble. The movie deals with the theme of unchanged men in a changing time, they are basically a dying breed with no future. The film is just filled with great scenes. A great example would be before they hold up the bank, Pike stumbles on an old lady and does something that would contradict his character, he helps the lady across the street and acts like a true gentlemen before doing something vile and wretched. In Pulp Fiction Jules and Vincent also contradict themselves, when we first see them they appear to be normal people, but then we see that they are actually cold blooded killers.

The train robbery was such a magnificent piece played out almost in silence, and from thereafter the action really picks up and in no time the story takes an unexpected turn. Angel is held captive by General Mapache for producing weapons to a rebel group. That ultimately leads to the geatest shoot out in the history of film. Which by the way resembles the House Of Blue Leaves sequence, where Beatrix confronts a staggering amount of armed men. The movie is structured in two different incidents. The Bank robbery, where they soon flee into Mexico and are greeted by Angel’s village. Which eventually leads with them meeting Mapache and devise a plan to assault the train.

Then there’s sort of an intermission where The Bunch rest up, fucking and drinking. Then the second half plays out which is the train robbery sequence where they steal the weapons, and from there it leads to its bloody resolution.

The Wild Bunch is hands down the best movie ever made. I still don’t know what attracts me to it. I’ve been watching it so many times recently, even if it’s over 2 hours or 3 hours long, I really don’t care about the length.

You said it Biohazard. Peckinpah was never this good, before or after. Bunch is in my top ten, and I could easily watch it hundreds of times without getting bored!

Bring me the head of alfredo garica is easily my favorite but The Wild Bunch is a close second.

wait you guys like this movie better than any of QT’s? Wow. I have Wild Bunch, have Convoy on my dvr, which is absolutely amazing and i suggest you pick up if you can find a copy. I plan to buy Cross of Iron becuase i know for a fact it will influence Inglorious Bastards, and also plan to get Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia. I also hear that Straw Dogs is good with Dustin Hoffman, but don’t plan to get it becuase i saw parts of it on youtube and it didnt look amazing. Ill be getting into Peckinpah soon after i finish buying some Spaghetti westerns i need for my collection, some italian crime/police movies, some gialli. I figure he’s about $300 away. PF is the best movie in my opinion, i always say that QT’s movies are the best which they are. 1.) PF 2.) RD 3.) KB 4.) JB then DP is somewhere around in my top 15.

I agree, Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is my favorite Peckinpah.

This is great news!!! Bio is really into something other than WRASSLIN’!! YAYYYYYYYYYY!! ;D