The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Roger Avery Arrested in Deadly Crash

source: Marcus Errico

Oscar-winning Pulp Fiction cowriter Roger Avary was arrested early Sunday on suspicion of manslaughter and felony drunk driving, after losing control of his car and crashing, leaving one of his passengers dead.

The 42-year-old writer-director, who partnered with former video store buddy Quentin Tarantino to pen the 1994 neonoir blockbuster, was behind the wheel when the single-car accident occurred in Ojai, California, after midnight, according to a statement from the Ventura County Sheriff Department.

The collision killed Andreas Zini, a 34-year-old Italian man who was visiting the Avary family in the Southern California resort town, about 80 miles northwest of Los Angeles. Zini was rushed to Ventura County Medical Center but died in surgery.

The force of the crash launched Avary’s 40-year-old wife, Gretchen, from the vehicle. She is listed in stable condition at Ojai Valley Community Hospital.

Avary was booked into Ventura County Jail and released hours later on $50,000 bail.

There was no immediate comment from the filmmaker, who most recently cowrote the screenplay and served as executive producer on Robert Zemeckis’ Beowulf.

Damn, that’s serious. :o

Fuck thats awful! Was Stuntman Mike involved? Will Avery blame QT?

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]
Will Avery blame QT?
[/quote]

Haha. ;D

But in all seriousness, this is some fucked up news.

True. I feel bad for the guy. Sounds like they were out for a night on the town that went very wrong. He is going to be in deep dogie doo. What exactly did Roger hit anyway?

Someone should make a movie about Rogers life. I think it could be interresting.

This is terrible news. Pretty shocked to hear it.

Holy shit, this is terrible. A passenger even died, damn that’s some serious stuff. He should know better than to drink and drive.

[quote=“Knoxville Kingpin”]
What exactly did Roger hit anyway?
[/quote]

Maybe he thought he saw QT and tried to hit him ;D

“The force of the crash launched Avary’s 40-year-old wife, Gretchen, from the vehicle.” Reminds me of the crash scene in Death Proof.

The whole Death Proof connection thing really creeps me out.

Car crashes are awful, I still remember this awful memory of a badly crashed car and glass and a lot of blood, I think people died in that accident…tough.

This is a bummer though.

[quote=“Ify”]

“The force of the crash launched Avary’s 40-year-old wife, Gretchen, from the vehicle.” Reminds me of the crash scene in Death Proof.
[/quote]

That scene was awesome! You can actually hear her scream for a micro-second. I remember everyone was grimacing and I was the only one laughing my ass off, classic QT.

‘Pulp Fiction’ Writer Charged Over Fatal Crash

Pulp Fiction screenwriter Roger Avary has been arrested in connection with a fatal car crash in Los Angeles. Avary, 42, was charged with vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence after a passenger in his car died on Sunday. Captain Monica McGrath of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Department said Avary was released on $50,000 bail. Avary’s passenger Andreas Zedini, 34, died of his injuries at a local hospital. His wife, Gretchen, 40, was also taken to the hospital with serious injuries after being ejected from the car. Her condition is unknown.

http://www.imdb.com/news/wenn/2008-01-15/#2

“Pulp Fiction screenwriter Roger Avary”? WTF!!!.. Yeah, right… Co-screenwriter maybe… I could accept that but if I recall the credits in the movie, it says “Written and Directed by: you know who =P” – I know Avary was involved somehow and came up with ideas for some of the stories depicted in the movie but honestly I just think the title of this article sounds weird because everyone knows Pulp Fiction was written by QT while he was travelling in Europe and on vacations in Amsterdam.

Anyways… Allow me to insert here a bit of dark humor… I guess Avary was “rehearsing” to be the next “Stuntman Mike”… Except for maybe his car wasn’t “death proof”…

[quote=“BADKITTY”]
“Pulp Fiction screenwriter Roger Avary”? WTF!!!.. Yeah, right… Co-screenwriter maybe… I could accept that but if I recall the credits in the movie, it says “Written and Directed by: you know who =P” – I know Avary was involved somehow and came up with ideas for some of the stories depicted in the movie but honestly I just think the title of this article sounds weird because everyone knows Pulp Fiction was written by QT while he was travelling in Europe and on vacations in Amsterdam.

Anyways… Allow me to insert here a bit of dark humor… I guess Avary was “rehearsing” to be the next “Stuntman Mike”… Except for maybe his car wasn’t “death proof”…
[/quote]

He wrote original stuff that served as the basis for some of the stories. The big contribution that I know about is the gold watch segment and the pawnshop scene (which is something I’d say is typical Avary) and even then his script is pretty different to the final scene in Pulp Fiction. I think he thought of the accidental shooting of Marvin and the bullets missing Vince and Jules too. If you watch his film Killing Zoe, you see the difference between how Avary would approach something compared to Tarantino.

[quote=“BADKITTY”]

[/quote]

yeah be careful, while we will never know exactly who wrote what, it was not QT alone, and major parts of the story came from Avary

whoa…(…)…(!)… :o

Yeah, Avary was responsibe for the Gold Watch chapter, the accidental shooting of Marvin and the Gimp scene. However, QT took these and added depth. He also re-wrote all the dialogue. Apparently, when Avary used to have his original script on his website, people that read it claimed QT’s was far superior. Well it would be, considering Avary only really thought of the stories.

"Early in his career, Avary made a number of contributions to some of Quentin Tarantino’s movies. He worked as a crew member on Tarantino’s unfinished first film, My Best Friend’s Birthday. He had at one point written an 80-page script called “The Open Road”, which he described as being about the “odd couple relationship between an uptight business man and an out-of-control hitch-hiker who travel into a Hellish mid-Western town together” and compared to Martin Scorsese’s After Hours. After moving on to another screenplay, a spec adaptation of The Silver Surfer, he allowed Tarantino to rewrite his script to add enough length to bring it to a 120-page industry standard length. Tarantino did more than that, turning out a 500-page handwritten behemoth of a screenplay which Avary described as “the Citizen Kane of pop culture.” Impressed with Tarantino’s work, Avary took on a producorial role, and proceeded to work with Tarantino to pare down the script into what would ultimately become True Romance (1993), (Tarantino used the remainder as the basis for parts of his other scripts.) Working as producer, he and Tarantino tried unsuccessfully for several years to get funding so that Tarantino could film the script himself. Eventually, the script was sold to French producer Samuel Hadida. Since Tarantino was busy prepping Reservoir Dogs, Avary was hired with Tarantino’s consent by Tony Scott and Hadida to work as a script doctor on the script, a job which included bringing the length down, reforming the narrative to a linear fashion, and writing a new, happy ending where the Clarence character isn’t killed.

When the Paul Brothers, a pair of wealthy bodybuilders who wanted to get into the movies, offered Tarantino funding for his script Natural Born Killers on the condition he include a scene featuring them, he couldn’t bring himself to write it out of disgust, and asked Avary to write it for him as a favor. The scene, which has come to be known as the “Hun Brothers” scene, has been described by Oliver Stone as the best scene in the script. It was, however, cut from the final film because, as Stone is quoted as saying on the “Natural Born Killers” special edition laserdisc, “I fucked it up.” Avary also co-wrote the background radio dialogue in Reservoir Dogs (1992), and designed the “Dog Eat Dog” logo which appeared in the end credits.

Most notably, Avary contributed material which, combined with Tarantino’s, formed the basis of Pulp Fiction (1994) for which he and Tarantino won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. Earlier in their careers, Tarantino and Avary had planned on making an anthology movie comprised of three short films; one written and directed by Avary, one written and directed by Tarantino, and one written and directed by a third filmmaker, reportedly Adam Rifkin. When the third filmmaker never materialized, Tarantino and Avary took their respective stories and expanded them into full length screenplays separately. Tarantino’s story became Reservoir Dogs, and Avary’s story became “Pandemonium Reigns”. “Pandemonium Reigns” ended up forming the basis of the “Gold Watch” chapter of Pulp Fiction (an earlier version of his website displayed an excerpt from “Pandemonium Reigns”, illustrating the changes that were made by Tarantino when writing “The Gold Watch”), and other odd scenes Avary had written during his rewrite of True Romance were reworked and incorporated into the Pulp Fiction script, such as the accidental shooting of Marvin, and the scene in which the bullets fired at Jules and Vincent miss their targets. Tarantino and Avary got together in Amsterdam shortly after the release of Reservoir Dogs, and pasted each other’s scenes together into a first draft, after which Avary left to film Killing Zoe, leaving Tarantino to continue subsequent writing of Pulp Fiction. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Avary

I’ve always said, they both need to team up again and make something kickass like QT’s earlier films. I mean, sure QT can make brilliant films without him (as he has done), but none of the films after the two of them parted ways have had good stories. I mean JB was adapted from a novel so that doesn’t count, and both KB and DP had the simplest story lines you can imagine. With Avary’s knack for thinking up brilliant stories and scenarios, and QT’s knack of being able to tell these great stories through directing, characters and dialogue, combined with the usual flare he brings to his films, they could make something truly special. I don’t think QT should indulge himself any further with his subsequent films as he will never be respected that way. RD and PF are drastically different to KB and DP. Imagine PF but with his recently acquired skills in filmmaking, style, substance and visuals!

RD and PF are drastically different than KB and DP because they were crime/gangster films. KB and DP arent. So that would make a difference. Kill Bill is an awesome film. I think its even better than Pulp Fiction actually.

Roger Avary isnt responsible for QTs great work. People need to stop pushing that because its just not true. If Roger was that talented, he would be just as popular and influential as QT is.

We arent on this board because of Roger Avary, we’re here because of QT.

QT will never work with Roger again. If he did, Id be very surprised. And after this car crash incident, I doubt Roger will be doing anything for awhile.

it would be cool to see them team up and make some low budget crime films.

No it wouldnt. Not at all. Stop saying that stupid shit.

Roger shouldve just taken all his awesome ideas and made his own kickass films. That wouldve ended any arguments about how important he was to QTs films right there.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
And after this car crash incident, I doubt Roger will be doing anything for awhile.

[/quote]

He was penning a script called “Driver”. Isn’t that ironic? :o