The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Roger Avary

there aren’t enough Pulp Fiction threads here, so here we go:

Roger Avary has created many elements of Pulp Fiction (as far as I know the entire Butch-Coolidge thing and much more). The Academy Award went to QT AND Roger Avary. Many people say that QT stole many ideas and that more credit belonged to RA.

What do you think? Do you think QT isn’t thankful enough? How do you think about QT taking ideas from other people and changing them and making his own movie out of it?

Anyways, Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece…

rules of attraction will be good!

but Killing Zoe was - in my opinion - pretty bad. the soundtrack: VOMIT!!!

yep, I heard the same story that Butch’s story was a script by Roger but Quentin adapted it into pulp. And the only other contribution I think RA made was the dialogue in the scene between Butch and Fabianne in the bathroom, the stuff with the shoe store. Although it really sounds like Quentin.

Also, he wrote the new ending for True Romance and did the the logo for the dog bites dog logo in RD, as well as help with the KBILLY Rock radio dialouge.

I dont want to be rude, but I really think that Avery sucks. He wrote the script for Goldwatch but I have heard that it was very bad script. Killing Zoe is in my opinion one of the worst movies I own. And I own some really shitty ones.

roger avary is cool. i hate Killing Zoe but he really contributed more to tarantino’s success than we all know (some people even hate QT for stealing Avary’s ideas and using them for his own).

Rules of Attraction will be way cool.

I’m so glad that you don’t like Killing Zoe… see, I can’t watch it, as I have a mask phobia… now I know I’m not missing out!!! You’ve made my day!

Be pure, be vigilant, behave… be cool.

Kim

:-*

Well I really like Killing Zoe.It’s a good film,with good actors,and camerawork in the style of Stanley Kubrick.

I’m also a fan of Julie Delpy,so that helps 8)

I like Killing Zoe very much but the difference between Avery & QT is very apparent in that film. Avery doesn’t have the same ability to write witty dialogue. I view Killing Zoe as a violent bank caper with a nice twist ending. Nothing more, nothing less.

Avary creates the brillant scenes then Quentin molds them into gold and putting great Dialogue…Avary aint’s QT with the dialogue, if you read the original “Gold Watch” scene on Rager Avary’s site, you can tell the dialogue is not as great as Quentin’s brillant dialogue…like I said, Avary created much the good scenes; The Magic Bullets, Accidental Shooting of Marvin, Pawn Shop Rape" then QT changed them a bit, and put in good dialogue…Don’t beleive, check, “The Skinny” section of Roger’s section, all I just said is there…

Whats the story between him and QT? I mean there’s suppose to be like a friendship gone to shit story, but I’m not really sure what happened. Most of the points of view that I have heard have come from Roger Avary and his fans; I was just wondering what QT’s side of the story was.

they have spent lots of time together and were close friends.

most of QT’s stuff derives from stuff they worked out together. parts of Pulp come from Avary (the boxer story for example).

Open Road (the script that developed into NBK and TR) was partially Avary’s stuff.

And there are some other things where QT seems to have not credited Avary and that kinda ruined the friendship, which i can understand. but well, that’s just QT.

[quote]they have spent lots of time together and were close friends.

most of QT’s stuff derives from stuff they worked out together. parts of Pulp come from Avary (the boxer story for example).

Open Road (the script that developed into NBK and TR) was partially Avary’s stuff.

And there are some other things where QT seems to have not credited Avary and that kinda ruined the friendship, which i can understand. but well, that’s just QT.

[/quote]

Avary may have contributed some ideas, but QT never needed Avary to make his films. I believe that 100%. Just read Kill Bill, if thats not QT’s writing brilliance, I dont know what is.

I wasn’t that impressed with Killing Zoe or the first half of Butch’s story. Avary’s best contribution to this world is the accidental death of Marvin, which was a situation originally intended for True Romance.

From IMDB.com:

Personal quotes

(on Quentin Tarantino): “I’ve realised that I can’t hang out with him. I talk with him, and he just sucks stuff from me.”

[quote]I wasn’t that impressed with Killing Zoe or the first half of Butch’s story. Avary’s best contribution to this world is the accidental death of Marvin, which was a situation originally intended for True Romance.

From IMDB.com:

Personal quotes

(on Quentin Tarantino): “I’ve realised that I can’t hang out with him. I talk with him, and he just sucks stuff from me.”
[/quote]

When Roger says stuff like that he sounds like the biggest douchebag. He cant hang out with QT because he steals his ideas? Gimme a break. QT doesnt need to steal any of Roger’s precious little ideas. He has plenty of his own. Avary is way too full of himself. He needs to use some of his own brilliance and make a good film for a change. HAHA.

Im total Anti-Avary. I could care less about that idiot.

Personally I don’t think Pulp Fiction would have ben the same movie without the ‘The Gold Watch’ chapter. I think that is one of the best parts of the movie actually. I have to give Avary some respect; I mean he did have some ideas that QT has used (not stolen) but used that came from Roger Avary’s mind.

[quote]

Avary is way too full of himself.  He needs to use some of his own brilliance and make a good film for a change. HAHA.

Im total Anti-Avary. I could care less about that idiot. [/quote]

I’m not exactly anti-Avary but I do think he has over-rated himself big time. He co-wrote Phantasms 5 for crying out loud. I think QT will manage without him.

Toothpick, QT depended A LOT on other peoples ideas:

Dogs: he didnt invent that story

Pulp: he didnt invent that 100%

I am not anti-QT, surely not, but I accept the facts that QT took ideas from others, of course everyone does that, but I think then you should credit the people who made up the ideas.

I think Killing Zoe sucked a lot, but Adapting the novel Rules of At. is a tremendous effort and I believe in the decency of ROA.

i think Avary has yet to proof his skills, thats right

[quote]Toothpick, QT depended  A LOT on other peoples ideas:

I am not anti-QT, surely not, but I accept the facts that QT took ideas from others, of course everyone does that, but I think then you should credit the people who made up the ideas.

I think Killing Zoe sucked a lot, but Adapting the novel Rules of At. is a tremendous effort and I believe in the decency of ROA.

i think Avary has yet to proof his skills, thats right[/quote]

I hope your not Anti-QT, you run a website about him. That would really suck. lol.

Yes, QT uses ideas from other movies, people. He has always done that. I think the reason people make such a big deal about that is because he does it better than anyone else. His films are total enjoyment from beginning to end. Most films dont have that.

Bottom line: If QT wrote a film with NO pop culture references, NO ideas from other sources, I believe that he could still write a masterpiece. He chooses to use other sources because thats who he is as a person. He loves pop culture and all its colorful languages and visuals.

Roger Avary contributed to some of QTs films, ok, thats true, but he DID NOT create the films. QT did. He directed them too, another talent that he has thats excellent and fresh.

Avary has definitely not proven his “ideas” are any good yet. Noone saw Rules of Attraction. The people that did, most of them hated it. Thats no good if your trying to prove your a good writer/director that has something to say. It doesnt tow the line.

IMO, Avary should try doing something more mainstream next time, then in between doing his big films, do his little Bret Easton Ellis adaptations.

[quote]Toothpick, QT depended  A LOT on other peoples ideas:

I think Killing Zoe sucked a lot

i think Avary has yet to proof his skills, thats right[/quote]

I’m with you, Seb. I’m glad Avary helped on what he did. I’m just glad you’re not a blind QT fanboy who has to cover things up. There are alot of them out there on the net.

yeah i am not an avary fan, but i just take the facts as they are, and the fact is that some of QT’s stuff isn’t QT’s stuff.

whats the big deal? we’re just talking abou that.

i think a huge QT fan is a QT fan who also sees the not-so-good sides of a director, and in my opinion, that’s QT’s taking stuff from others and not giving credit for that, and i can completely understand Roger’s anger. The Academy did a good and fair job by giving the Oscar to BOTH.