The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse Movie Secrets! (SPOILERS!)

Now heres some real Grindhouse goodies!..Enjoy! :slight_smile:

“The trick we’re doing in Grindhouse is the movie starts with a trailer,” said Rodriguez. "So you’ll be watching your regular, sanitized, MPAA trailers and then Grindhouse will come on and suddenly you’ll be seeing blood and guts and breasts. And so it’ll feel like what it was like back then. You’ll suddenly realize how sanitized things are now."

Grind House-style trailers are just the beginning. Even the intermission is infused with the same kind of gritty imagery that made shock cinema so popular.

“We found an intermission clip kind of like [‘let’s got out the lobby’](My fave!!) , but it shows like real food,” revealed Rodriguez. "It’s so disgustingly shot â€â€

I wonder how many movie-goers will actually appreciate the “dystrophy” of the movie

I know I, for one, definitely will

I know for me, when I watch those kinds of old prints I get really excited by them. Its because you KNOW youre watching a film with all the disrepair and pops n buzzers. These days, Id much rather watch an old scratched up movie than a perfectly crystal clear remastered movie on DVD. I really wish movies were on DVD in bad condition in widescreen. That would rule! I think thats what Grindhouse will be like when we get the DVDs.

A cool Grindhouse anecdote: I was watching Ron Van Clief in The Death of Bruce Lee the other night on DVD, I had never saw it before. So Im sitting there listening to the opening music, It sounded familiar…then I realized it was a lifted Ennio Morricone score. This kung fu film was using Morricones music from The Battle of Algiers for its score!! Thats when you know youre watching a real 42nd St Grindhouse movie!

That also happened to me when I was watching Shaolin Vs Wu Tang. They used part of Herrmann’s Taxi Driver score in it!! :slight_smile:

Grindhouse will be a return to why we love movies in the first place. Its not gonna be for the HD-DVD crowd. Its for the film film geeks.

Yup, I’ve definetly seen a few Drive-In ads where the food looks fuckin’ nasty!

You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55GZvp1eQiI

And that’s always been a charm to me when those cheerful ads are placed right before a disgusting,mean,sick movie!

yeah, I know whatcha mean PopeyePete, it makes me so excited about the movie when I hear about stuff like that

LMAO!! Theres nothin like watching an ultra greasy BBQ beef sandwich ad before…BLOOD FEAST!!

(Blorrrrrrrrrch!)

Its like the cinema equivalent of eating a bunch of food, then going on a rollercoaster or one of those spinning wheels where you stick the the wall from the G-force!!

Good read.

so I don’t really get the missing reel thing, there’s gonna be a missing reel durring an important part?

[quote=“Laydback”]
Yup, I’ve definetly seen a few Drive-In ads where the food looks fuckin’ nasty!

You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55GZvp1eQiI
[/quote]

“Just look at that generous helping of rich, juicy barbeque. Yum, Yum!” - LMAO :wink:

not necessarily an important part, I even think Rob Rob said something about only taking out just back story of one of the characters that he referred to as “bull shit”…he didn’t even write the part into the script

This looks better and beter. I hope they release two DVD’s, one remastered, one Grindhouse style.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
I know for me, when I watch those kinds of old prints I get really excited by them. Its because you KNOW youre watching a film with all the disrepair and pops n buzzers. These days, Id much rather watch an old scratched up movie than a perfectly crystal clear remastered movie on DVD. I really wish movies were on DVD in bad condition in widescreen. That would rule! I think thats what Grindhouse will be like when we get the DVDs.

A cool Grindhouse anecdote: I was watching Ron Van Clief in The Death of Bruce Lee the other night on DVD, I had never saw it before. So Im sitting there listening to the opening music, It sounded familiar…then I realized it was a lifted Ennio Morricone score. This kung fu film was using Morricones music from The Battle of Algiers for its score!! Thats when you know youre watching a real 42nd St Grindhouse movie!

That also happened to me when I was watching Shaolin Vs Wu Tang. They used part of Herrmann’s Taxi Driver score in it!! :slight_smile:

Grindhouse will be a return to why we love movies in the first place. Its not gonna be for the HD-DVD crowd. Its for the film film geeks.
[/quote]

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid, the westerns I used to watch were in really poor quality. I loved that. That was part of the experience for me. It just helped in making you believe that those things really happened. I was disappointed to see all those Westerns now “cleaned up” on DVD. It takes that little bit away from the experience. But then again if you want that scratched look, go find one of your old VHS tapes of those films.

But it depends what kind of film you are watching. I mean Star Wars wouldn’t work if it had this scratched look about it. There are certain films that I do want to watch in the best possible quality.

I am really looking forward to Grind House now. I’m hungry for more QT material after watching Jackie Brown and both Volumes of Kill Bill in the last couple of days.

[quote=“Ify”]
But it depends what kind of film you are watching. I mean Star Wars wouldn’t work if it had this scratched look about it. There are certain films that I do want to watch in the best possible quality.
[/quote]

Yeah, good point.

Well, if i had a 35mm projector in my house like QT has, I wouldnt care if Star Wars was scratched up a little or not. On DVD, I wouldnt want it. But then again, I dont want to watch SW on DVD anyways. :slight_smile:

i really wonder how many morons in the US will bitch about the quality of the print and complain to the manager? i know this sounds funny, but a lot of people aren’t too bright (some people still think BORAT is a real person and not an actor)…

Thats gonna be part of the fun of watching the movie, hearing people say: WTF IS GOING ON?!! haha. :slight_smile:

haha, exactly…its gonna be crazy

As for the “missing reel” stuff, I honestly think QT tried it (Or at least tried an homage to it) on Kill Bill. It’s the scene were Uma first finds the Pussy Wagon. At the end of that sequence before she jumps into it, the “Truck Turner” music ended rather oddly. Perhaps making people think that some extra footage WAS missing!

This topic is funny - the medium truly is the message.

I am quite certain that almost none of the original film makers were happy to see their movies scratched, cut-up, or damaged in any way.

I guess that truly is the essence of Grind House. Where those original films were about extreme human drama, Grind House is about MOVIES!

Can’t wait - It will be playing at a drive-in 20 minutes away from me.

[quote=“Laydback”]
As for the “missing reel” stuff, I honestly think QT tried it (Or at least tried an homage to it) on Kill Bill. It’s the scene were Uma first finds the Pussy Wagon. At the end of that sequence before she jumps into it, the “Truck Turner” music ended rather oddly. Perhaps making people think that some extra footage WAS missing!
[/quote]

Its funny you mention that because that part always annoyed me. Its like Im grooving out to the Isaac Hayes music and it just stops suddenly!

I think in Grindhouse the idea will be the same but it will be a bigger skip in time. Not just a couple minutes.