The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Remakes? ripoffs? tributes?

Some say that Quentin ripped off movies like Reservoir Dogs and most of Pulp Fiction. Here are some examples.

Some say that Quentin took from these movies and puts his own movie called Pulp Fiction

1. Kiss Me Deadly----------------The Glowing Breifcase
  2. The Bodygaurd----------------The Eziekel speech
  3. Three Little Sobs--------------Mia and Vincent in the car

This is all bullshit

Some say that RESERVOIR DOGS was a ripoff of the unsucessful CITY OF FIRE. Most people(like me)  know that RD was just a tripute of the movie.

Quentin’s movies are are all tribute to other movies.

PULP FICTION---------------[size=1]ON A BOOK THAT VINCENT READS[/size]

RESERVOIR DOGS------------CITY OF FIRE

JACKIE BROWN--------------BASED ON A BOOK BY ELMORE LENORD.

KILL BILL-------------------Old Kung Fu movies

This shit bout ripoffs and remakes is all bullshit.

I don’t condem the man for anything he’s taken from, but I’d have to disagree with you. Tarantino is a fuckin’ rip-off artist extraordinare…

BUT…

As Scorsese said, something to the effect of, "Great artists steal from everyone."

Everyone takes from everyone. It’s just the way things are. Nothing’s original anymore. The last original movie I remember seeing was “Seven/7/Se7en” (as far as the plot was concerned).

Which isn’t to say that Tarantino isn’t the greatest director since Scorsese himself. His is, 100%. But make no mistake, he steals/takes/borrows/uses/whatever freely from DOZENS of influences/resources/directors/movies/whatever. That’s what makes him great. He’s a sponge. He soaks up everything around him, processes it a bit, and spits it back out in his own unique way. Just my opinion on the matter. Later.

M.W.

P.S. The greatest thing Tarantino ever “ripped-off” was the Clarence/Elvis relationship from “True Romance”, which was taken from the Woody Allen/Humphrey Bogart relationship from “Play It Again Sam”. Pure fuckin’ genius, no matter how unoriginal it may be…

Even being one of those people that started a “ripoff” topic, I am sick of em. It’s not new that QT likes to borrow and take things from other movies. What the hell, right? His movies are fucking awesome and as long it’s not tired, obvious, or in bad taste, fuck it. He borrows shit and uses it in a good way, not borrow in a bad way. Borrowing in a bad way would be like use the bullet-time thing in a movie after Matrix did it, like Bulletproof Monk or Blade.

This movie business is “take a penny leave a penny.” QT takes stuff from other movies, and people take stuff from him. After all, we all know stuff from QT’s movies were borrowed by plenty of other writers and directors…

[quote]   I don’t condem the man for anything he’s taken from, but I’d have to disagree with you.  Tarantino is a fuckin’ rip-off artist extraordinare…

BUT…

As Scorsese said, something to the effect of, "Great artists steal from everyone."

Everyone takes from everyone.  It’s just the way things are.  Nothing’s original anymore.  The last original movie I remember seeing was “Seven/7/Se7en” (as far as the plot was concerned).

Which isn’t to say that Tarantino isn’t the greatest director since Scorsese himself.  His is, 100%.  But make no mistake, he steals/takes/borrows/uses/whatever freely from DOZENS of influences/resources/directors/movies/whatever.  That’s what makes him great.  He’s a sponge.  He soaks up everything around him, processes it a bit, and spits it back out in his own unique way.  Just my opinion on the matter.  Later.

M.W.

P.S. The greatest thing Tarantino ever “ripped-off” was the Clarence/Elvis relationship from “True Romance”, which was taken from the Woody Allen/Humphrey Bogart relationship from “Play It Again Sam”.  Pure fuckin’ genius, no matter how unoriginal it may be…[/quote]

I’m going to have to…agree with you 100%.

As a writter and soon to be director, it is true that they are as myself are sponges.

/me is a sponge. I try to keep it as far as away from that idea as posible but stay true to it, just like QT.
              ÂÂ

[quote]

I’m going to have to…agree with you 100%.

As a writter and soon to be director, it is true that they are as myself are sponges.

/me is a sponge. I try to keep it as far as away from that idea as posible but stay true to it, just like QT.
               [/quote]

I know all about stealing and borrowing and using shit form other people.  I'm one of two songwriters in my band and I steal shit from old 1950's rock'n'roll and doo-wop songs all the fuckin' time.  Call me a plagerist (sp?).  Call me a hack.  I don't care.  It works, it sounds good, and we keep it all as original as possible.<br/>

Anyone who is involved in any type of "art form" understands the natural process of taking from those who came before you. If the naysayers wanna be crybaby little pukes about it and pick everything Q.T. does to death, let 'em...and fuck 'em. Either you get it or you don't. Thankfully, most of us here do.

Anyways, what type of screenplays are you writing R.D.? I've tried to get into writing a script, but it's a lot easier to write a 2 and a half minute song than it is to write a 90 minute movie...

M.W.

I really like the “take a penny, leave a penny” analogy, QT takes a penny from here, a penny from there, but he gives back a fuckin $100 dollar bill!

[quote]

I know all about stealing and borrowing and using shit form other people.  I’m one of two songwriters in my band and I steal shit from old 1950’s rock’n’roll and doo-wop songs all the fuckin’ time.  Call me a plagerist (sp?).  Call me a hack.  I don’t care.  It works, it sounds good, and we keep it all as original as possible.

Anyone who is involved in any type of “art form” understands the natural process of taking from those who came before you.  If the naysayers wanna be crybaby little pukes about it and pick everything Q.T. does to death, let 'em…and fuck 'em.  Either you get it or you don’t.  Thankfully, most of us here do.

Anyways, what type of screenplays are you writing R.D.?  I’ve tried to get into writing a script, but it’s a lot easier to write a 2 and a half minute song than it is to write a 90 minute movie…

M.W.[/quote]

My scripts are a little like RD. I write them as low budget movies and then as they mature I grow them into medium budget. But never a real BIG budget movie like…BAD BOYS II.

Maybe like KILL BILL. my movies are really going to be really intense like RD, with lots of dioalog…iteresting conversations.

PULP DEVIL

Rreservier_Dude, u said u’r soon 2 be a director… r u gonna direct your own script? And how did u get the finance and support for it?

[quote]Rreservier_Dude, u said u’r soon 2 be a director…  r u gonna direct your own script? And how did u get the finance and support for it?  [/quote]

A small producing company for right now till I’m real material.

I wanna start out like QT did. With a BANG!!

PULP DEVIL

Let’s not forget about Memento, as far as originality is concerned.

[quote]Let’s not forget about Memento, as far as originality is concerned.[/quote]

“Memento” owes its existence to “Pulp Fiction”.