R.I.P. James Brown

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.forbes.com/business/services … 81366.html”>http://www.forbes.com/business/services/feeds/ap/2006/12/25/ap3281366.html</LINK_TEXT>

"James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured “Godfather of Soul,” whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said.

-

Along with Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolized him, and sometimes openly copied him. His rapid-footed dancing inspired Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson among others. Songs such as David Bowie’s “Fame,” Prince’s “Kiss,” George Clinton’s “Atomic Dog” and Sly and the Family Stone’s “Sing a Simple Song” were clearly based on Brown’s rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown’s claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

-

He triumphed despite an often unhappy personal life. Brown, who lived in Beech Island near the Georgia line, spent more than two years in a South Carolina prison for aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer. After his release on in 1991, Brown said he wanted to “try to straighten out” rock music.

From the 1950s, when Brown had his first R&B hit, “Please, Please, Please” in 1956, through the mid-1970s, Brown went on a frenzy of cross-country tours, concerts and new songs. He earned the nickname “The Hardest Working Man in Show Business.”

OMG…

I can’t believe it. I don’t know what to say… This year has been so tensed, but the last one of this year is like a shock to me. Such a genius, one of the rare real genius of music. The master of Funk. The one who really influence Michael Jackson for his moonwalk. Rest in Peace Mr Godfather.

:-[

Just heard it on the news… R.I.P.

same here

Rest In Peace Godfather

RIP James.

î

Wow, I didn’t expect that to happen today.

All together this is the worst Christmas I have ever had, and now this…

R.I.P James Brown

R.I.P

On Christmas Day how sad. R.I.P.

Rest in Peace, Godfather of Soul :frowning:

Spike Lee is directing the biopic about James Brown, announced today

Great news! Perfect choice

Will he skip all the negative points of his life ? But perfect choice for Spike Lee.

Isn’t that what makes it interesting?

Sure. But some people who doesn’t really know the negative part of his life, could dislike or be surprised by the myth. So will they chose something more like they did with Ray, or more focused on his life as an artist ?

i hope it’ll focus on his life as an artist ofcourse, but also the man himself, and with that come the negative points (along with loads of positive ones), shouldn’t be ignored, but definitly not the main story either

Who’s playing James Brown…?

SAMUEL L. JACKSON!!..

it was worth a shot :-</E>

Let me try and guess the plot. Aspiring singer has rough childhood (some close relative probably dies too), grows up wanting to be a singer, begins his career singing in shitty bars until he gets discovered by some producer, finds a girl, marries her, becomes famous, begins to cheat on his wife, becomes addicted to drugs, insert random flashback of his fucked up childhood, sings for Apollo Creed in Rocky IV, breaks up with his wife, destroys random hotel rooms and bathrooms because he’s still addicted to drugs, another random flashback of his fucked up childhood, finds another wife, re-marries, tries to get off drugs, succeeds, sees the light, gets cured of the past. The End.

Sounds like a good fuckin’ movie :wink:

[quote=“Scarface”]
Let me try and guess the plot. Aspiring singer has rough childhood (some close relative probably dies too), grows up wanting to be a singer, begins his career singing in shitty bars until he gets discovered by some producer, finds a girl, marries her, becomes famous, begins to cheat on his wife, becomes addicted to drugs, insert random flashback of his fucked up childhood, sings for Apollo Creed in Rocky IV, breaks up with his wife, destroys random hotel rooms and bathrooms because he’s still addicted to drugs, another random flashback of his fucked up childhood, finds another wife, re-marries, tries to get off drugs, succeeds, sees the light, gets cured of the past. The End.
[/quote]

Ahah the script ignored then the violence against his wives. And if he was under arrest even recently… So did he see the light really ? Hum, maybe only through music.

here’s the script for The Doors:

I’m drunk, I’m nobody

I’m drunk, I’m somebody

I’m drunk, I’m dead