Quentin Tarantino-Modern Day Sergio Leone?

[quote]I’m not knocking your choice of directors or anything, but I really didn’t think any of Sergio Leone’s stuff was all that great. “Once Upon a Time in America” was probably one of the worst gangster flicks I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen the Godfather Part III. Sergio Leone was actually offered the chance to direct “The Godfather” but declined because he wanted to direct his own gangster movie. That gangster movie ended up being “Once Upon a Time in America.” He must be kicking himself now. QT definetly has all of these other directors beat though.[/quote]

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

I definitely think QT is like a modern day Sergio Leone. I also think hes more than just a modern day Leone, because thats like saying he only makes a certain kind of film. All his movies are heavily influenced by Leones films and QT loves Leone maybe more than any other director. He always talks about Leones spaghetti westerns and every film hes done has some Leone in it.

Example: Look at the dolly shot introduction of Mr Blonde in Reservoir Dogs and the similar offscreen intro of Blondie in The Good the Bad and The Ugly.

When QT shoots scenes, he uses the name “Sergio Leone” for a reference to certain types of shots he wants.

I think QT is part Leone/DePalma/Melville/Scorsese/Fuller/Peckinpah/Hitchcock/Hawks/Cheh/Kurosawa/Kubrick and a hundred other directors. All his movies celebrate the directors he loves.

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
woah, woah, woah! comparing Tarantino to Sergio “The fucking master” Leone? I love Tarantino, and he is a great director, but Leone is the fucking genius, especially in technical aspects. I don’t think Tarantino has even reached half the level of expertise…
[/quote]

agreed, you cannot compare tarantino to leone, not in a long shot, no way, sergio was miles ahead of quentin

Yes you can definitely compare Tarantino to Leone. Are you kidding? From the very beginning of his career hes been like a modern day Leone. Leone was a master, but Tarantino is a master in his own way as well. Hes a excellent storyteller/visual director. Why would you be at this forum if you thought he wasnt?ÂÂ

Listen to the commentary track on Once Upon A Time In The West, Chris Frayling compares LEONE to Tarantino! Not Tarantino to Leone! Cmon man, dont just disagree to disagree. Have some back up or reason for it.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Yes you can definitely compare Tarantino to Leone. Are you kidding? From the very beginning of his career hes been like a modern day Leone. Leone was a master, but Tarantino is a master in his own way as well. Hes a excellent storyteller/visual director. Why would you be at this forum if you thought he wasnt?ÂÂ

Listen to the commentary track on Once Upon A Time In The West, Chris Frayling compares LEONE to Tarantino! Not Tarantino to Leone! Cmon man, dont just disagree to disagree. Have some back up or reason for it.
[/quote]

im not comparing anything, im saying leone is a direcor of another level, another league, another ballparc :wink:, hes a better and greater director than tarantino, im sorry but he is, quentin is simply inspired by his greatness, hes not following his legacy, leone is a god to me, tarantino is just a very good director,yes he is an excellent storyteller and he has become a very visual director since kill bill, but leone was from the start, where quentin is now, leone was when he first started out with fistfull, you cant compare good, bad & ugly with any of quentin’s films, thats to say the ones hes made now, he might even top it one day, maybe, and im looking forward to it but he hasnt yet, leone is still lots of steps infront of quentin

and how can you compare leone to tarantino when tarantino started out after leone’s death? ??? what frayling was meant to point out is that tarantino is one of lots of director who started becoming a director because of sergio, he influenced him, like he influenced all of us, quentin is great but leone is a legend

I love Leone too, but I still think QT is almost as good as he was when Leone was making movies. I think you can compare Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More to Dogs and Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill and Inglorious Bastards (when it comes out) to The Good The Bad and The Ugly and Once Upon A Time In The West. Leones not untouchable just because hes a legend. Yes, he was brilliant visual stylist, is Tarantino a clone of Leone? no, but hes the closest we have to a modern day Leone in his own way.ÂÂ

You dont have to be alive to be compared to someone. Frayling specifically compared Tarantino to Leone while watching the film, he didnt mention any other modern directors, just Tarantino. So for him to do that, thats basically saying “Noone else reminds me of Leone but Tarantino these days”. Hence a modern day Leone.

ÂÂ