The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

QT move to FOCUS FEATURES?

Do you think it would be a good idea? they seem to give their filmmakers more creative control than Miramaxe, I think it would be a good idea.

I was actually wondering why he was at the Focus party after the Golden Globes, insted of the Miramaxe party. Maybe he IS moving to Focus.

Doesn’t Focus Features usually just make independent films? It would be great if QT got away from Miramax, but he might have to work with a lot less money if he switches to Focus.

Yea, but it WOULD help his creativity, u know, not drowning everything down with the “money hose”?

I think that QT was able to maintain his creativity with Kill Bill, with the black and white scene added for censor reasons. Miramax allows QT to keep his creativity intact due to the fact that he is a big money maker for them, and has brought them success. I think the only real problem with Miramax is their marketing issues, such as splitting Kill Bill into two (even though QT claims it was his decision) and bringing out a shitty dvd for Volume 1. QT will have less money to spend with Focus Features, but the audience may be able to see his movies sooner and get better dvds due to that.

I would def like to see QT do at least one smaller movie with Focus. They did most of the best movies of this and last year, and they were all really uniqe and different in their own way. most of their films did pretty good at the box office, and got a lot of award nominations, i think they’d give propor respect to Q, and he cld make an outstanding movie with them. They’re not afraid to take risks, and say “no, that’s not commercial enough, nobody would want to see that,”. At least, id like to see other studios take example from Focus, and give their filmmakers a little creative breathing room.

I don’t know, it might be kinda hard for Tarantino to make a 3-movie War Epic like Inglorious Bastards with a small company like Focus Features. I think what QT should do is act like he may go over to Focus, get Miramax scared, and sign a better contract with them.

[quote]I don’t know, it might be kinda hard for Tarantino to make a 3-movie War Epic like Inglorious Bastards with a small company like Focus Features. I think what QT should do is act like he may go over to Focus, get Miramax scared, and sign a better contract with them.[/quote]

Yeah. Even the most famous, talented, and popular artists have to work pretty much their entire lives to get the clout that QT has over at Miramax. Why give up a good thing as long as the money and freedom is there? Besides, whether they butcher other movies or not, NOBODY is going to give QT as much freedom as Miramax does at the moment

how about disney…

[quote]how about disney…[/quote]

Disney owns Miramax.

[quote]

Disney owns Miramax.[/quote]

And that fucking sucks.

Miramax is great to Tarantino, but screws all of us over. Tarantino is happy because he gets a decent budget and is able to maintain his creativity, but the people like us are pissed because we have to wait 6 months to see the 2nd half of one film and we get a shitty first dvd for Kill Bill.

This is an absurd argument. I agree with the fellow who said that the clout that Tarantino enjoys at Miramax is far better than any kind of job anywhere else. The man can call Harvey Scissorhands in the middle of the night just to read to him the first eighteen pages of the new script he’s working on, “Kill Bill”… Tarantino is their “Mickey Mouse”, Weinstein has famously said.

And you think that going to Focus is trading up? Most of these people used to work for Miramax. Wait until this company is established for more than five years in order to call it an unqualified success. Doesn’t Focus have to answer to a bigger studio / conglomeration also? Releasing violent and controversial films is hard no matter what studio you work for, but probably easier at a studio with execs who are willing to go to bat for you.

Aside from that; Tarantino is not only an Academy Award winner, but he is also a money-maker and shameless promoter. If he stepped away from his cushy set-up at Miramax, he is one of the few that could virtually write his own ticket in Hollywood.

You may dislike some of Miramax’s business practices, the release of a sub-par dvd; but, let’s be realistic. Miramax has been in this business a long time and continues to release relevant and profitable films while people like Artisan, October, and their ilk, pop up and fizzle out. They have had oscar-nominated films every year for fifteen years!

I don’t mean to go off, this just seems like a silly argument. One that you would have in the seventh grade in which you imagine your favorite sports figures playing for different teams.

If you want to speculate something else all together, ponder this;

Miramax’s contract with the Disney Corp. ends in 2006. At that point the brothers can renegotiate or walk away, leaving Disney with the library of films and the name of the company. It is common knowledge the rocky relationship that Weinstein and Eisner have, and with the recent departure of Pixar…you could only imagine that the Weinsteins’ asking price will be “too high”…

If you’re Tarantino, and you have a position at Miramax where you get more creative control than Martin Scorsese and Anthony Mingella, then it’d be best to stay there

As long as he leaves Danny the Dog alone, I don’t care if he moves.

I think tha QT should consider the move, simply because he should appreciate his fans enough to try and get a situation where we’re not incredibly screwed consistently.

[quote]As long as he leaves Danny the Dog alone, I don’t care if he moves. [/quote]

?

[quote]I think tha QT should consider the move, simply because he should appreciate his fans enough to try and get a situation where we’re not incredibly screwed consistently. [/quote]

QT’s loyalty should be to himself as a filmmaker. Not what his fans, 99% of which have no real inkling of how to conduct business and make movies in Hollwyood, think he should do. He’s got a good thing going at Miramax. He has free reign to do almost anything he wants and who else would have given him 60 million to do a Kung Fu/Samurai revenge flick? Let alone the hundred million he’ll inevtiably need for a decent World War II trilogy?

There’s no reason for him to leave Miramax for a company that 1) Can’t treat him as well as Miramax can 2) Won’t treat him as well as Miramax does and 3) Could very well go belly up over the course of the next few years.

I say Tarantino should just take his money and start his own film company. That would be the best thing to do.

[quote]I say Tarantino should just take his money and start his own film company. That would be the best thing to do.[/quote]

The smartest thing thats been said in this topic yet.

Though, simultaneously, I’d shudder to think of QT running a production company. He’d probably leave his bong on top of a stack of scripts and burn the entire branch office down.

[quote]I say Tarantino should just take his money and start his own film company. That would be the best thing to do.[/quote]

Not a bad idea. In addition to doing his own stuff, maybe he’d branch out and do scripts written by other, less established writers. It seems like a very QT thing to start a company for himself and the fans. I mean, he came from the middle of nowhere and became, well, him. I’m sure there’s some punk kid with a wicked great gift for filmmaking just waiting for somebody to help him cut through the Hollywood bullshit. Just my 2 cents worth.