The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

QT likes to "upset audiences"

Just thought I’d share this short article posted today on Imdb if any of you may have missed it. It talks about the relationship QT wants to have with his audience.

Maverick filmmaker Quentin Tarantino likes to play sadistic games with his willing audience - because he knows how much they enjoy being tortured by him. The Kill Bill director prides himself on shocking viewers of his movies, and claims he has a sadomasochistic relationship with his audience, which keeps both parties interested. The 40-year-old says, “I like f***ing with your emotions, and I like it when it’s done to me. That’s my thing. You’re gonna laugh, you’re gonna laugh, you’re gonna laugh, until you’re gonna stop laughing. You’re gonna stop laughing, you’re gonna stop laughing, you’re gonna stop laughing until boom you’re gonna laugh again. The audience and the director, it’s an S&M relationship and the audience is the M. It’s exciting. When you go out and have pie afterwards, you’ve got some s*** to talk about. You went to the movies that night.”

I’ve heard that pie thing before. :slight_smile:

that’s why he’s such a unique filmmaker. he doesn’t go out there and makes the latest blockbuster, he’s going out and makes a movie for the movie’s sake. he’s the true cineast, because he makes a movie so that you and me can watch a movie. not a film, not a crapfest, not a Bruckheimerama, not some american pie bullshit, a REAL FUCKING MOVIE. and that’s what he’s so loved for

[quote]that’s why he’s such a unique filmmaker. he doesn’t go out there and makes the latest blockbuster, he’s going out and makes a movie for the movie’s sake. he’s the true cineast, because he makes a movie so that you and me can watch a movie. not a film, not a crapfest, not a Bruckheimerama, not some american pie bullshit, a REAL FUCKING MOVIE. and that’s what he’s so loved for[/quote]

Well I wouldn't go as far as to call Kill Bill a REAL movie but it seems more offbeat and unique then most of the shitfests the last 5 or so years.

Bruckheimerama, hahahahahaha good one.

Kill Bill Vol 1 is as real as movies come IMO. Ive seen loads of movies in the theaters and I think Vol 1 is really the first film that Ive seen that contained so much film language and just an all out love of cinema, even moreso than QTs other films. Vol 1 IS Cinema, not just Exploitation cinema, but everything that makes movies so special to us. I think Seb hit the nail right on the head with his post.

Agreed, on all counts.

I have nothing to say.

[quote]Kill Bill Vol 1 is as real as movies come IMO. Ive seen loads of movies in the theaters and I think Vol 1 is really the first film that Ive seen that contained so much film language and just an all out love of cinema, even moreso than QTs other films. Vol 1 IS Cinema, not just Exploitation cinema, but everything that makes movies so special to us. I think Seb hit the nail right on the head with his post.

[/quote]
The movie was cool and all but jesus christ,you’d think it was

Citizen Kane you were talking about…

[quote]
The movie was cool and all but jesus christ,you’d think it was

Citizen Kane you were talking about…
[/quote]

Kill Bill is the Citizen Kane of Kung-Fu/Exploitation films.

[quote]

Kill Bill is the Citizen Kane of Kung-Fu/Exploitation films. [/quote]

Nope,that honor goes to Enter the Dragon…

[quote]

Nope,that honor goes to Enter the Dragon…[/quote]

No, Enter the Dragon is the Casablanca of Kung-Fu films

dont reply, that was kinda stupid