The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Pulp Fiction's overall message

[quote=“FoxForceFive”]
That works for Jules but what about the others? I mean Butch isn’t exactly good but he gets away in the end.

Why does there have to be a message at all? Can’t it just be a good movie? I don’t think Tarantino sets out to deliver any kind of moral messages in his movies at all. Sure, Kill Bill has a ‘do to others as you would have them do unto you’ kind of vibe. But I think its simply to serve the plot; not to deliver any moral commentary.
[/quote]
Butch is good. He takes care of Butch in a profession where guys like Butch usually get fucked. He kills Vincent because Vincent is a moron who doesn’t grasp the message given to him by Jules. Jules is good because he saw a chance to change his ways and took it. Marcellus Wallace got fucked because he tried to fuck Butch…pardon the pun. And on and on it goes.

I’ve always looked at it as a redemption tale. Quentin’s films have far more morality than they’re given credit for. Every actor in the picture will tell you it’s about redemption, Quentin has too. But I’m quite sure he wrote it with no intention of having a discernable message, it’s just what came out in the end. I’ve had this happen and ppl will read my stuff and tell me they liked what it said about greed, and I’ll be like “where was that?”

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]I’ve always looked at it as a redemption tale. Quentin’s films have far more morality than they’re given credit for. Every actor in the picture will tell you it’s about redemption, Quentin has too.[/quote]

That is how I see it too, a redemption tale. The bad people who are spared and take the chance to reform their lives (Jules, Butch) end up better than those who don’t (Vincent). The last scene with Jule’s speech sort of “redeems” the whole movie and fleshes out this overall message.

The people who see simply mindless violence in it, as if it glorifies it, are missing the point in my opinion.

Although I absolutely loved PF, I can’t say that I know what was the overall theme or message QT was trying to convey. I watched it as a teenager for the first time and at that age I didn’t care much about thai sort of stuff.

And one more thing, does anyone remember Natural Born Killers? I know it’s different from PF, but I always keep putting PF and NBK in the same basket of “weird” movies. Does anyone else have a similar feeling?

[quote=“toolate255”]And one more thing, does anyone remember Natural Born Killers? I know it’s different from PF, but I always keep putting PF and NBK in the same basket of “weird” movies. Does anyone else have a similar feeling?[/quote]

Weird movies wtf?