The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Projects he could have done

I know Quentin loves writing his own films and I’ve heard him say he would only do someone else’s script if it really wowed him, but what films that have come out do you think Quentin could have directed?

I’ve always thought he could have done a great job with the departed.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
[/quote]

Really?

The Departed is a very typical american movie, in the way that it uses exposition and storytelling. Quentin isn’t like that at all, for him it’s about characters, dialogue, style and feel.

It would be interesting to see what a QT remake of “Vamos a matar, companeros!” would look like. It’s fun, it has style, it has cool characters, it has action. Right up Quentin’s alley.

Just the first thing that came to mind.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
I know Quentin loves writing his own films and I’ve heard him say he would only do someone else’s script if it really wowed him, but what films that have come out do you think Quentin could have directed?

[/quote]

It’s interesting you say that because whilst watching The Departed, it struck me as a film very inspired by the works of QT. I mean that whole edge that you feel, the dialogue, the larger than life characters, the slickness and coolness of it all, it was very Tarantinoesque. Also, unlike a lot of Scorsese films, this one felt very accomplished, very polished, like attention had been spent on every detail, it was all purposeful - much like QT’s films. It has “Nobody But Me” playing during the violent scene in the shop, which of course QT used during the House of Blue Leaves sequence in Kill Bill. It’s weird, because QT has definitely been influenced by Scorcese’s work, so to see that it’s now worked the other way was quiet something.

I absolutely loved The Departed, by the way. One of my top 5 greatest films of the decade!

[quote=“Ify”]
It’s interesting you say that because whilst watching The Departed, it struck me as a film very inspired by the works of QT. I mean that whole edge that you feel, the dialogue, the larger than life characters, the slickness and coolness of it all, it was very Tarantinoesque. Also, unlike a lot of Scorsese films, this one felt very accomplished, very polished, like attention had been spent on every detail, it was all purposeful - much like QT’s films. It has “Nobody But Me” playing during the violent scene in the shop, which of course QT used during the House of Blue Leaves sequence in Kill Bill. It’s weird, because QT has definitely been influenced by Scorcese’s work, so to see that it’s now worked the other way was quiet something.

I absolutely loved The Departed, by the way. One of my top 5 greatest films of the decade!
[/quote]

Exactly. It’s really got a great Quentin-esque feel to it. I definitely think Quentin’s influence can be felt in it, especially the script. But, I’ve always thought of scorsese’s films to be polished, The Aviator for instance. and I really disagree with Crazy_Kenneth, the Departed is far from American.

QT and Scorsese are my big inspirations so maybe that’s why I coralated them. I could also see Quentin doing something like Collateral. Mostly because of the script, such an underrated script. It’s like Taxi Driver in LA, and i know Taxi Driver’s one of his three fav films.