The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Project im working on (my post is kind of long but please give me some feedback)

Hey theres this project my friend and I are working on during summer. There are somethings in it I would really like to change but he doesn’t want to change anything in the movie to make it better. I just want to get some opinions from you if you think we should change it.

Okay well first of all its suppose to be a horror movie. The only violent scene in it is one of the supporting actors gets hit in the head with a baseball bat. In the script its not really graphic but if compared to everything else in it thats the only graphic thing in the movie The movies plot synopsis is about a girl and she walks into mysterious cabin in the woods. When she walks in the cabin there are 9 doors and each door has a picture of some guy. When she opens the door and enters it she is in that persons worst memory. So basically most of the movie is not even in the real world its mostly shot in these 9 peoples worst memories. She then has to some how escape and get out of the woods before she gets stuck in her worst memory. Also my friend wants it to be 10 minutes long and this story is too complex to have it 10 minutes and he refuses to try to make it a longer movie.

Now my idea to change a lot of that script around is to not have it focused on just one person but a group of friends who all relate to each other growing up and having a lot of messed up shit happening to them. They go on a vacation and enter the woods and stay at this cabin. My idea for the worst memories part wasn’t going to be just entering some gay door and basically be in a flashback. What I was planning for it is it would be influenced by evil dead and the woods and the cabin is haunted and the peoples worst memories come back to haunt them but it will happen in the woods and in the cabin and the worst memory will come back but be more extreme like its coming back in the most horrific way and also I would want to make our idea longer then 10 minutes cause the script is very forced and rushed cause of the time frame he wants. No offense but my friend cant write worth shit. So my thing would have killing in it and not just some dumb baseball bat hit in the head and it wont just be someone enters door into a flash back of someones worst memories the memories will be there with them in the woods and at the cabin. This is suppose to be a horror movie

Its stressful cause I am kind of arguing with him a lot and I don’t want to and i dont think its right but he is imo ruining the idea and I think there has been many movies with people entering doors into dreamworlds and shit or like entering some kind of past time. I know also there has been stuff that had to do with haunted cabins also but I don’t know what to do I’m kind of thinking of not working with him but he said he would change it if I got feedback from people. So what do you think we should do with the script? Should me and him just leave it how it basically is a fantasy pg13 style suspense or try to use my idea and what i want to do with it? Which is a rated R horror movie with blood gore and extreme terror. I really want some feedback and again sorry for the long post as well.

I think the first idea is better. Is something that I defenately would like tou see. I totally agree with you about the length. A longer movie would be better. I also think that the action must take place inside the cabin, claustrophobia is what makes a good horror movie!

Shooting a 10 minute long movie takes a LOT of time. You will be busy with it for weeks. So if you decide to make it longer it might not get finished at all. Especially if you argue with your friend too much during shooting.

How many movies have you made? If this is kind of your first than go with 10 minutes. Unless you can spend all summer on it.

Both the door idea and your idea can work. You have to go through the story from a to z though and check what you would like to happen. Imagine yourself watching the script while you read it and and think what would be cool to see.

With a 10 minute movie you can also shoot more stuff. Decide afterwards which ideas will work best and throw the rest away!

10 mins sure takes a long time to be shot seriously. A week, I’d say. If you spend the whole summer on it, you can do it longer but as Seth said, be careful cause if you do argue with your friend too much, you take the risk not to shoot everything and never finish the script.

You should agree on a basic story, which you’ll shoot first. Then you can add some extra scenes, alternative versions of stuff you disagree with your friend, so that you have the tow different versions for the editing and can choose then.

Could you try to coax him into blending the two ideas together? Maybe have the group of friends, but include the pictures, but of the friends instead of strangers. That would make more sense because it would be more startling to the characters and they’d be more driven to find out whats going on in this wacky cabin.

I was gonna say that they both sounded like bad ideas but I think plunderbunnie nailed it. Mix the two and I think you’ve got something. Either way though I don’t really see a need for gore. It sounds like a psychological thriller to me. You should be focusing on scaring people more than grossing them out. Also you said your “friend can’t write worth shit”, does that mean you’re going to be writing the script? Because if he is and you don’t think he’s got a good script it doesn’t really seem worth making in the first place.

Yeah, I agree with the psychological part. Since, it is by nature a mind based horror. If someone really wanted gore, they could do it.

Like for example, a memory of hearing a child being mauled by a pair of dogs, only to chase the dogs off and see a really gruesome scene that haunts the person for the rest of their life. That way, when they “relive it” in the movie, they can hear the dogs and the child like before.

Other things could be sexual assaults, abusive parents, car crashes, whatever.

Have you considered making your own movie without your friend?

[quote=“plunderbunnie”]
Yeah, I agree with the psychological part. Since, it is by nature a mind based horror. If someone really wanted gore, they could do it.

Like for example, a memory of hearing a child being mauled by a pair of dogs, only to chase the dogs off and see a really gruesome scene that haunts the person for the rest of their life. That way, when they “relive it” in the movie, they can hear the dogs and the child like before.

Other things could be sexual assaults, abusive parents, car crashes, whatever.

Have you considered making your own movie without your friend?
[/quote]
Yes I have thought about doing that. As of right now though we are trying to combine each together. Cause my first idea was to have the shit just happen in the cabin not going through a door into flashback. Cause my friend was the one writing the script and really me and him decided on making a movie this summer so he came up with an idea and a script and showed it to me like this is what we should shoot i just wrote it. WHen I read it, it had potential and I wanted it to change some stuff with it. Also btw when i said gore i didnt mean really like a fucking gore nasty movie but i mean using blood in some of the scenes nothing really extreme. My friend is making more of like a Goosebumps/kids disney movie. Cause it really isnt that scary if you read the script. I would show you the script but its all on his computer so I dont have one with me but i’ll try to get one this weekend. But anyways i kept switching back and forth with the doors and no doors. Cause when i first read waht he had. Its just a girl randomly walking into a cabin and she walks into basically each door and its some random strangers memory basically telling her not to go into her final door or she’ll be trapped which she does randomly and it just ends with her not escaping. I wasnt going to focus on her but rather have it be her and her friends and when she walks into her cabin its them walking into there own worst memory rather then her just watching some random stranger going through there worst memory. Cause thats what happens she just see’s other peoples memories and they tell her to not go into her worst memory in which she randomly does nothing really even strikes her to go into it she just gets curious i guess and walks in. I was going to have each person suffer throug there worst memory but have it be even worse then it was before like they will be trapped in there own worst memory forever. Then he didnt want that cause it was already typed out. I said we can try to work something out and he said well i took time into this we should just leave it. Then i basically told him we shouldnt have them walk into the door but all their fear and worst memories happens in the cabin. Like the place is haunted and they cant escape and the cabin has these people who are all friends and who all grew up with very tragic bad memories that come back to them. then i went back and forth to the other idea cause he wants to build the cabin and he created basically a blue print.

So I don’t know this is mostly his idea wrote it but i was planning on shooting something with him this summer i thought we would collaborate together but he just wrote all this himself which makes me upset kind of cause we talked about doing something together and he has an HD camera thats worth 3 to 4 grand. So i don’t have any equipment except for a laptop with final cut pro and stuff on it. So I talked to him about it he said we can try to work something with it but he just doest want to go back into the script and do all of that. So sometimes i think just fuck it ill do what he wants and other part of me says I’m going to do my own thing or just do nothing and enjoy my summer watching movies and hanging out with people.

Shoot his script half of the time and during all the off-time, sleeping time and all, do your own alternative shooting. I’m not kidding, it often happens on shorts shootings and sometimes you can be surprised of alternative shootings.

I can’t really vouch for you or your friend’s idea. Movies that sound horrible on paper can turn out to be pretty entertaining when the final product is turned in, while ideas that sound fool proof can turn into total stinkers. If you can’t convince your friend to compromise it’s up to you to decide whether or not you want to be a part of the film. In my opinion no matter who’s script/idea you decide to shoot it’s just going to be a learning experience either way. It’s not like being associated with a shitty youtube movie is gonna ruin your reputation.

Indeed. I’ll just go with the flow and see what happens. I will probably end up doing something with it so I’ll just see what happens when the time comes.

Also sorry for the really bad typing errors. It was probably hard for some people to read it. I was in school at that time and I’m not really suppose to be on message boards or on any websites like this. I’m a senior and I’m graduating next week so I wont have to deal with that shit anymore soon.