PF violent?

I get annoyed when some people say they think PF is too violent. In my opinion, that’s just seeing the surface and not digging into its real meaning… Actually, PF is about forgiveness, friendship, love and compassion… it’s about changing for the better.

Butch feels compassion for Marsellus and saves him.

Marsellus forgives Butch.

Jules forgives Ringo and gives him that speech out of compassion.

Jimmy hates to risk his marriage, but still helps his friend Jules.

Butch forgives Fabienne for having forgotten his father’s watch because he loves her.

Jules decides to give up “the life” and be a good man.

All the violence is just the instrument to tell a story about pure feelings and redemption… some people just don’t get it.

Quite true. I read more about this in a very long article, I’ll try to find it.

oh, please do… :slight_smile:

Pulp Fiction is nothing compared to other violent movies. It always seem that Pulp Fiction is violent because it’s a gangster film, a Tarantino film, but then - were there any torturing scenes? All those who died were killed rather fast and painful except for Zed. And his killing wasn’t shown at all.

And yes, it’s more stylish and “about forgiveness, friendship, love and compassion… it’s about changing for the better”. And the murders are funny, it’s all dark humour, not plain violence.

PF is violent

Some people find it too violent

And looking below the surface doesnt make the violence go away

I didn’t say the violence goes away, I said it was an instrument to tell a story about positive values… and in my humble opinion, it’s the message what counts…

[quote=“Bleach”]
were there any torturing scenes?
[/quote]

Yep, that sick fuckin butt fuckin scene!!

Oh, yeah that was sick. And that counts as violence. Actually I don’t like that the scene is in Pulp Fiction and that Tarantino fillmed that. That was pretty horrible.

PF is kinda violent, and scenes like the rape and the OD can be kinda shocking, but I agree with what Big Mans Wife said, its not sensless violence, its got a point to it and emphasises the moral theme/message.

most of the actual violence is offscreen (people getting shot, the needle going into mia…) so i cant really see people being shocked by it

[quote=“Big Mans Wife”]
I didn’t say the violence goes away, I said it was an instrument to tell a story about positive values… and in my humble opinion, it’s the message what counts…
[/quote]

Yep, though some people might say that the message could have been told without the use of violence but that would just be plain boring imo. But it might be a reason why people think its too violent.

[quote=“Bierbommetje”]
Yep, though some people might say that the message could have been told without the use of violence but that would just be plain boring imo. But it might be a reason why people think its too violent.

[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^ That’s exactly what my mum says!

what violence? ;D

allright it’s true that tere is violence in PF. Hard violence jusrt like torture, and so on. But we never can say that it’s too much violent because it’s a movie with a lot of humour. And there is a reflexion, emotions this is not free violence. Maybe we could do it without so violence, but the movie could never have the same impact on the people. It’s a movie with violence, so it impresses more the people, it touch them more… that’s why I think that PF would never be Pf without violence !

In my personal opinion I don’t think it’s violent at all, QT movies have everything a movie needs to have, sure there are violent scenes but I wouldn’t go so far in call the movie violent.

Violent movies are “Ichi The Killer”, “Mark Of The Devil”, “I spit On Your Grave”, “Yakuza’s law” etc…those are violent…

The movie is violent, compared to the movies mentioned above it’s tame, but PF is violent none the less.

Alot of critics said this movie is really violent when actually nearly all of the violence happens off screen. Take the needle to Mia’s heart scene, yes you do actually see the needle but the camera turns away at the split second it goes in. What are your thoughts?

Maybe the scene with Zed and so on is what made said that it was a violent movie ! Because I agree that there is a lot of violent scenes which are off-screen. Same pb for RD : teh torture scene is almost off-screen : we don’t when he cuts the hears (but OK we see the hears then in his hand)…

The movie isn’t that much violent, but the sensation of violenc eis very present, that’s why the people think it’s violent, because they feel it.

Yes I agree, it feels violent, I think QT is really good at building tension by using violence, even if you can’t see it.

i think the whole ‘violence’ contraversy is major part of all of QT’s films, and whever you love it or hate it you have to admit that he has a nifty way of using it.

At any rate if your intterested in the subject then heres some other threads you should check out:

Violence in regard to PF

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=2608.0

Qt’s use of violence in his films

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=1030.0

And a longer thread about violence in Qt’s films, his use/style of violence, whether its too much/not much, etc

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=2760.0