The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Paul Newman retires

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/ap_ … l_newman_3”>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/ap_en_ot/people_paul_newman_3</LINK_TEXT>

Paul Newman says he’s given up on acting.

“I’m not able to work anymore as an actor at the level I would want to,” Newman, 82, told ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Thursday. "You start to lose your memory, your confidence, your invention. So that’s pretty much a closed book for me."

Newman, star of films such as “Hud,” “Cool Hand Luke” and “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,” added: "I’ve been doing it for 50 years. That’s enough."

He has other plates spinning. Newman plans to focus on the Dressing Room, his new organic restaurant in Westport, Conn., and his Hole in the Wall Gang camps for critically ill children.

His Newman’s Own brand of dressings, pasta sauces, popcorn and salsa has raised more than $200 million for charities.

Newman, who won an Oscar for his leading role in 1986’s “The Color of Money,” was last seen - or heard, rather - as the voice of Doc Hudson in the 2006 animated feature “Cars.”

I really like Paul Newman. He is one of my all-time favorites. These are my top 5 Newman films:

1. The Color of Money
  2. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  3. A Streetcar Named Desire
  4. Cool Hand Luke
  5. The Hustler

What a great actor - its a shame Tom Cruise didn’t retire instead.

The Color of Money was a good film.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
I really like Paul Newman. He is one of my all-time favorites. These are my top 5 Newman films:

1. The Color of Money
  2. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
  3. A Streetcar Named Desire
  4. Cool Hand Luke
  5. The Hustler

[/quote]

He’s not in A Streetcar Named Desire, that was Brando

Anyway, I thought I read somewhere a little while ago he was going to do one more film alongside Robert Redford?

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
[/quote]

Certainly.

I’ve only seen him in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

yea i really dont like cruise at all.

He’s good in Magnolia though

[quote=“ailemrac07”]
[/quote]

never seen it.

Magnolia is awsome.

“respect the cock”

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Magnolia is awsome.

“respect the cock”
[/quote]

i’ll have to check it out.

Tom Cruise is awesome just because he went wacko in the last 2 years shouldnt make you hate his movies.

Im not a huge fan of Newman(but i have heard his products are tasty!)but i did like butch cassidy and the sundance kid

yeaa tom cruise is a total wacko and not the good kind.

[quote=“ailemrac07”]
[/quote]

Oh and Collateral. Other than that not a big fan.

I like Tom Cruise in the Interview With a Vampire, Mission Impossible series and Eyes Wide Shut. In the latter he just basically walked around, but anyway. I don’t think he’s a good actor or anything.

I’ve only seen Hustler with Paul Newman, he was so good. I really have to see other films with him, he’s excellent

[quote=“ailemrac07”]
He’s not in A Streetcar Named Desire, that was Brando
[/quote]

right but he was in Cat on a hot thin roof (hence the confusion, maybe!)… i love newman, my favorite film is Left-handed gun and he is a fantastic director, i especially love The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, which was written by screenwriting god Alvin Sargent…

[quote=“Bleach”]
I’ve only seen Hustler with Paul Newman, he was so good. I really have to see other films with him, he’s excellent
[/quote]
Go see Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. It’s such a great, touching, funny movie.