The Quentin Tarantino Archives logo

Patricia Sweetgarden (Mirrored image, 1927)

Have you guys seen the movie mirrored image, it is a cult flick from 1927, and it starred this wonderful actrice called Patricia Sweetgarden. She was actually asked to perform in movies such as Cruze’s The Covered Wagon (1923) and Robert Flaherty’s Nanook of the North (1922) but had to leave to australia to work on her uncles farm, who is related to Mel Gibson btw. I am really fascinated by this woman because it seems like she made lots of connections between movies, yet, not many people seem to have heard about her… :frowning:

The movie she stars in is about a woman named Betty Swain and she was a schizo, who made her second identity come alive through some special mirror. She became her own worst enemy and made that enemy come alive. 8)

I believe John Woo admitted that his using of mirrors comes partly from this movie. It is the daddy of inner conflict and conflict between two people.

She was born in 1902, this is a picture of her on the set of Mirror image.

What do you guys think about her and the movie? Do you know more about her?

Well, all i know is that she only made that one film. Its extremely hard to find also. I dont really know what happened to her after that.

yeah! Its extremely rare too, I believe I saw a copy on ebay once, but it was selling at like 2800 dollars…

Its supposed to be a real gem.

Yeah, i know.Not many people have heard of her, or the film. I am surprised you have!

I heard Lars von Trier is like a big fan of her too. They made like a small special about her and he talked about how much he loved the idea of the movie. Nicole Kidman supposedly saw it, before she did dogville.

[quote=“Seth_Gecko (TAFKATIG)”]
I heard Lars von Trier is like a big fan of her too. They made like a small special about her and he talked about how much he loved the idea of the movie. Nicole Kidman supposedly saw it, before she did dogville.
[/quote]

Oh, i didnt know that! Well, i dont know that much about her at all :stuck_out_tongue: Is that special avilable somewhere?

[quote=“Luxie”]
Oh, i didnt know that! Well, i dont know that much about her at all :stuck_out_tongue: Is that special avilable somewhere?
[/quote]

I don’t know…maybe it is on a special edition or something of dogville or another von Trier movie…I saw a piece of it while watching a special on Dogville. Sweetgarden is such a mysterious personality. That always fascinates me.

I don’t know…maybe it is on a special edition or something of dogville or another von Trier movie…I saw a piece of it while watching a special on Dogville. Sweetgarden is such a mysterious personality. That always fascinates me.
[/quote]

I didnt find anything on her on the internet, that sucks :stuck_out_tongue: Ive been looking so many times, and nothing!

Me so horny, me love you long time.

[quote=“Luxie”]
I didnt find anything on her on the internet, that sucks :stuck_out_tongue: Ive been looking so many times, and nothing!
[/quote]

Yeah, I hope there will be more info avaible on her soon. I heard someone was writing a book on her. Need to find out what it was called though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anybody have more info on the movie or on her? Or have an opinion on her and the movie?

Does anybody have more info on the movie or on her? Or have an opinion on her and the movie?
[/quote]

No, nothing. Its like she never existed, so strange…

I think she would be more of a legend now if she hadnt died so tragically :frowning:

I think she would be more of a legend now if she hadnt died so tragically :frowning:
[/quote]

Do you know how she died?

Well now its time to say good-bye to Jed and all his kin.

And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.

You’re all invited back again to this locality

To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality

Hillbilly that is. Set a spell. Take your shoes off. Y’all come back now, y’hear?

[quote=“Luxie”]
Do you know how she died?
[/quote]

It only adds to the myth actually, some say she just dissapeared one day…

Others say that the farm of her uncle burned down while she was staying there…

There are even stories of alien abduction while she visited Ayers rock in Australia…

I don’t know what really happened actually. I so wanna see more of that movie though!!

I have heard that she just dissapeared. :stuck_out_tongue:

I heard she was skinned and cooked in a hillbillie’s swimming pool!

[quote=“Luxie”]
I have heard that she just dissapeared. :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

While visiting Louisiana right?

While visiting Louisiana right?
[/quote]

Yeah, right. And noone ever heard of her again.I think that she just didnt wanted to be a filmstar.