Other directors' opinion of QT

[quote]Add Takeshi Kitano to the bad list. He didn’t like Kill Bill at all, here is what he actually said:

Q : Comments on Kill Bill?

Kitano : Ever since I heard Tarantino was making a chanbara movie, I had extremely low expectations, and thought he could only make a laughable thing. At the end he made it far worse then I expected, and I respect him because he had the balls to make such a bad movie.
[/quote]

Holy shit! LOL.

[quote]Godard is very much alive (“In Praise of Love” was brilliant), and he mumbled something about QT taking the name of one of his movies for his company A Band Apart (he said he should have just given him some money instead).
[/quote]

I have the collector’s edition of Pulp Fiction and there are director’s comment subtitles in it. When the Band Apart logo shows up they write something about it, clearly stating that he took the name from the godard movie.

I know you already said you were sure of this, but I just wanted to give a more “official” confirmation…

Tony Scott has to go on the list of directors who admire QT. He saw “Reservoir Dogs” after he made, “The Last Boy Scout” and realised what a piece of fluff his film was in comparison. He was very envious of Tarantino for being able to make a film with real balls, free from the studio interference that he encountered on “Last Boy Scout.”

Anyone here heard quentin talking about lynch or the other way around? What’s each director’s opinion about the other? has it ever been mentioned?

[quote=“themack”]
Anyone here heard quentin talking about lynch or the other way around? What’s each director’s opinion about the other? has it ever been mentioned?
[/quote]

Hi and welcome!

I merged your topic with this one. One user tried to collect statements from other director about QT. IMO a very interessting fact..

Quentin made Kill Bill, because he lost Jet Li and Yuen Woo Ping to Joel Silver, because Harvey didn’t see any reason to cast them in a movie, and when Lethal Weapon 4 and the Matrix made money, he got jealous, and decided to cash in on the kung fu trend. Of course if he wanted to be successful at it, he wouldn’t copy mainstream directors by jabbing the camera so close to the “fights” that you can’t see them.

[quote=“GATSU”]
Quentin made Kill Bill, because he lost Jet Li and Yuen Woo Ping to Joel Silver, because Harvey didn’t see any reason to cast them in a movie, and when Lethal Weapon 4 and the Matrix made money, he got jealous, and decided to cash in on the kung fu trend. Of course if he wanted to be successful at it, he wouldn’t copy mainstream directors by jabbing the camera so close to the “fights” that you can’t see them.ÂÂ
[/quote]

You do know that Yuen Woo Ping was involved with Kill Bill right?

[quote=“GATSU”]
Quentin made Kill Bill, because he lost Jet Li and Yuen Woo Ping to Joel Silver, because Harvey didn’t see any reason to cast them in a movie, and when Lethal Weapon 4 and the Matrix made money, he got jealous, and decided to cash in on the kung fu trend. Of course if he wanted to be successful at it, he wouldn’t copy mainstream directors by jabbing the camera so close to the “fights” that you can’t see them.
[/quote]

You are one of the funniest guys I have seen on a board! ;D do you really believe in the shit you post or are you only a lonely guy with no real life and hope to entertain us with your stupid posts? I will miss you in my holidays… hm… or maybe not… ;D

As of QT and Lynch, I remember an old quote (circa “Dogs”) from Tarantino saying that, after “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” he thought Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that he didn’t want to watch another Lynch movie, despite loving his past work. Since then QT has praised Lynch, especially “Blue Velvet,” and I’m sure he dug “Lost Highway” and “Mulholand Dr.” No word from Lynch that I could find, though there were a few nods to our man Quentin in “Mulholand Dr.” from the presence of Robert Forster to the Tarantinoesque hit man sequence (with the bullet going through the way and hitting that fat chick, et al). Anybody else find anything?

Ify: Yes, but Silver got him first. Oh, and a new quote from Godard at the May 20 IMDB: Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard has hit out at Quentin Tarantino - one of his biggest admirers - for using the title of one of his 1960s films without financially rewarding him. Maverick film-maker Tarantino took the name Band A Parte (Band Of Outsiders) from the New Wave icon’s 1964 movie and used it as the name for his production company. But Breathless filmmaker Godard, 74, is less than impressed by the Pulp Fiction director’s intended flattery. He says, “Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He would have done better to give me some money.”

[quote=“GATSU”]
Ify: Yes, but Silver got him first. Oh, and a new quote from Godard at the May 20 IMDB: Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard has hit out at Quentin Tarantino - one of his biggest admirers - for using the title of one of his 1960s films without financially rewarding him. Maverick film-maker Tarantino took the name Band A Parte (Band Of Outsiders) from the New Wave icon’s 1964 movie and used it as the name for his production company. But Breathless filmmaker Godard, 74, is less than impressed by the Pulp Fiction director’s intended flattery. He says, “Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He would have done better to give me some money.”
[/quote]

Dude, you know what? I’ve been letting out slight chuckles over the years from your posts regarding Tarantino-hating here,there,everywhere. But now’s the time to finally break the silence. Just what is your damn problem with him? It’s gone on for so long now that it just can’t be because:

1)He steals from other people and puts his name on it

2)He works for a satan-owned film company

3)He doesn’t know how to film a fight scene involving martial arts

It’s understandable for internet geeks to pull this type of crusade against someone because they’re not an anti-fan, but in your case, It’s gotten to the point where the one you dislike has HAD to have personally done something to you. Because normal “Crusaders” just aren’t this relentless and annoying.

You’d be doing a great service by letting everyone know what it is that Tarantino did to you. Did he steal from a motion picture that YOU worked on? Did he physically harm your family or loved ones? Does he owe you money? Just what is it? If you do have some sort of lawsuit against him, by all means, please prove it. If not, then it’s clear that you’re either mentally messed up or a comedian who just doesn’t realize that his audience is tired of the joke.

As you might know, I’m a frequent visitor to another forum that you visit on a normal basis and I know you have other interests and dis-interests. But man, this particular obsession is seriously scary. I honestly fear for your health…That is, if you do happen to share the traumatizing details of your Tarantino grudge.

I’m just providing an equivalent amount of anti-hype to the hype machine around Quentin.

This isn’t the first time Godard has ‘hit out’ at a director over money. He blasted Spielberg for giving the profits from Schindler’s List to charity instead of to Schindler’s widow.

He went kind of nuts a long time ago. Now he doesn’t seem to even like movies. His newer movies either suck or seem to mock film making in general, including his own earlier films. I think now he just does it because he needs to make a living, not because he wants to, hence bashing directors about money, not their movies.

[quote=“Captain_Koons”]
I was reading an article on Bernardo Bertolucci’s new movie, and Bertolucci, asked about young directors he likes, named Quentin Tarantino as one of his favorites. Has anybody else heard differing opinions on QT from other directors? Good, bad, ambiguous? Here are a few others off the top of my head that I’ve read in interviews:

Directors who have gone on record admiring QT:

Brian De Palma

Steven Spielberg

Peter Bogdanovich

P.T. Anderson

Pedro Almodovar

Roger Corman

Philip Kaufman

Atom Egoyan

Mike Figgis

Abbas Kiarostami

Jim Jarmusch

Wim Wenders

Directors who’ve dissed QT:

Paul Schrader

Harmony Korine

Michael Haneke

Spike Lee

Bertrand Tavernier

Walter Salles

Ken Russell

Ambiguous (could go either way);

Martin Scorsese

Clint Eastwood

Arthur Penn

Oliver Stone (believe it or not)

Jean-Luc Godard

Billy Wilder
[/quote]

Do we know more?

We should add

Robert Rodriguez in the “pro QT” list for obvious reasons

[quote=“Captain_Koons”]

Directors who’ve dissed QT:

Paul Schrader

Harmony Korine

Michael Haneke

Spike Lee

Bertrand Tavernier

Walter Salles

Ken Russell
[/quote]

Walter Salles produced City of God which completley rips off Tarantinos style, how could he dis Tarantino?

[quote=“Captain_Koons”]
Schrader has always seen himself as a holier-than-thou transcendentalist, even though he toils in pretty trashy stuff. To him, a down-and-dirty entertainer-artist like Tarantino is “the signpost of the decade,” and not in a good way. He’s said in interviews that the first time he saw “Pulp Fiction” he realized his kind of filmmaking was dead – whatever that means. Several times I read of him accusing QT of making films that are simply cynical and ironic. The irony, I think, is that Schrader huffs and puffs about transcending style though this is only a notion in his work, while Tarantino, who makes no great claims about Art, creates films infused with feeling, honor, and yes, morality.
[/quote]

That is funny because I watched an interview with Shrader in which he said that after watching Pulp Fiction he was angry because it was so good. He also said he felt “deeply irrelevant” because Tarantino made such a great film.

So theres definitely a difference between not liking someones work and being jealous of it. Ill bet all the directors who slam QT are jealous as hell because hes such a master of filmmaking.

During Cannes Film Festival 2004, Tarantino was as you know the master leader of the Cannes 2004 jury. I was there for watching new films to distribute on the internet. At a french TV show broadcasting live from Cannes, jean-Luc Godard was promoting his latest film which was premiered at Cannes 2004. It was the day before the start of the festival, so Tarantino was still allowed to talk with the press and go on tv. So at some point of the show, suddently Tarantino enters the show, just to say to Jean-Luc Godard, it was the first time they ever met, he just wanted to say how enormously much he was a fan of jean-Luc Godard and how Godard’s films influenced him to make films.

To which Jean-Luc Godard just had to say, he would have chosen a better film than Bande àPart to name a movie studio. I just don’t remember if Godard was exactly asked to comment on what he thought about Tarantino’s films. I think Godard might have lied and escaped to answer in the face of Tarantino, I think Godard actually said he had not seen any of Tarantino’s films yet.

One of the best works I think Godard has made is Histoires du Cinéma, where Godard talks about the history of Cinema… So definately it is interesting when Godard has something to say about other films and other filmmakers. So I hope Godard thinks Tarantino is positive, at least he is passionate about films differently than mainstream hollywood. And it is only positive if Hollywood becomes better with films from creative directors as Tarantino.

omfg charbax? are you still alive>? :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Charbax”]
During Cannes Film Festival 2004, Tarantino was as you know the master leader of the Cannes 2004 jury. I was there for watching new films to distribute on the internet. At a french TV show broadcasting live from Cannes, jean-Luc Godard was promoting his latest film which was premiered at Cannes 2004. It was the day before the start of the festival, so Tarantino was still allowed to talk with the press and go on tv. So at some point of the show, suddently Tarantino enters the show, just to say to Jean-Luc Godard, it was the first time they ever met, he just wanted to say how enormously much he was a fan of jean-Luc Godard and how Godard’s films influenced him to make films.

To which Jean-Luc Godard just had to say, he would have chosen a better film than Bande àPart to name a movie studio. I just don’t remember if Godard was exactly asked to comment on what he thought about Tarantino’s films. I think Godard might have lied and escaped to answer in the face of Tarantino, I think Godard actually said he had not seen any of Tarantino’s films yet.

One of the best works I think Godard has made is Histoires du Cinéma, where Godard talks about the history of Cinema… So definately it is interesting when Godard has something to say about other films and other filmmakers. So I hope Godard thinks Tarantino is positive, at least he is passionate about films differently than mainstream hollywood. And it is only positive if Hollywood becomes better with films from creative directors as Tarantino.
[/quote]

I rememeber these episode, because as French, I saw on TV too. I don’t think Godard think anything about QT. He just ignores him. At Cannes, he didn’t want to talk with him, an even didn’t watch him. He never met him, or at least, not on the TV show set, because QT wasn’t there with Godard. Godard was the guest of the show, and QT had reccord something before, and then Godard watched it.