Once Upon a Time

[quote=“Eastern Beauty”]
So what? I must love it then? You love this movie - I don’t. Just admit that there’s people who don’t love it.
[/quote]

I’ve seen bits and pieces of Once Upon a Time in America on television but can’t really get into it either. I’ve yet to see it in one sitting from beginning to end and in wide screen. When I do I’ll know whether I like it or not. Some people get Sergio Leone right away, others need a while. Even Martin Scorsese, one of the greatest cinephiles that ever lived, hated Leone’s films when he first watched them, but later grew to love them.

Scorsese hated Leone’s films when he first watched them? Never heard that one before. Thats pretty hard to believe.

Theres no doubt that OUATIA is a classic work of cinema. Its not even up for debate. If you dont like it, or havent seen it, I feel bad for ya to be honest.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Scorsese hated Leone’s films when he first watched them? Never heard that one before. Thats pretty hard to believe.

Theres no doubt that OUATIA is a classic work of cinema. Its not even up for debate. If you dont like it, or havent seen it, I feel bad for ya to be honest.
[/quote]

Scorsese grew up on American westerns and he couldn’t understand and was offended by Leone’s take on the genre. It wasn’t until later, when he watched them as Italian cinema, that he was able to embrace them. He noticed the operatic nature of the films. He loves Sergio Leone now. Just watch Gangs of New York. They were even close friends near the end of Leone’s life. In fact, I think it was Scorsese who convinced Robert De Niro to do OUATIA.

I watched Once Upon a Time in America by bits when I was a child and never liked it. So, when I came to this site where everybody’s like “This is a masterpiece” I said to myself “Maybe I missed something? I need to watch the whole movie. Maybe I’ll love it.” So I watched the whole movie TWICE with great attention and I don’t love it now. I HATE IT!

Do you think I need to watch it again? Do you think I’ll change my opinion? Hmm…

Hey come on guys, not everyone has the same film tastes. I know people that hate The Godfather, it happens. Let’s not go over the line here by telling somebody how they should feel about a film. It’s personal taste, and to each his own.

[quote=“FilmGuy”]
Scorsese grew up on American westerns and he couldn’t understand and was offended by Leone’s take on the genre. It wasn’t until later, when he watched them as Italian cinema, that he was able to embrace them. He noticed the operatic nature of the films. He loves Sergio Leone now. Just watch Gangs of New York. They were even close friends near the end of Leone’s life. In fact, I think it was Scorsese who convinced Robert De Niro to do OUATIA.
[/quote]

Seems strange to me since Scorsese was such cinema freak to pick out Leones films and not like them. Wouldnt a guy like him appreciate new kinds of cinema regardless of genres? Esp when he loved Italian cinema so much in particular. I read about him saying he saw Leones films as the Italian operas on film. I never knew he didnt like Leones stuff back in the day. Ah well, hes gotta love Leones stuff now anyways so it doesnt matter.

I didn’t know that either about Marty and Leone, weird.

Theres no way he saw Good Bad and Ugly and didnt like it. It doesnt make sense at all.

It’s true, There’s an interview in my Chris Frayling book about Leone with Marty and he says he didn’t like GBU and Once upon…West when he saw them for the first time. Then he grew to love em.