Once Upon a Time in Mexico

[quote=“The Seb”]
whats left is the style and an incredibly cool Agent Sands[/quote]

Agree. I like Sands too :slight_smile:

heard they are coming at with a Once upon a time in mexico video game. Anybody heard of this?

Has anyone seen Johnny Guitar - a movie by Nocholas Ray (1954) - director of Rebel Without A Cause.

Well anyway it’s a western that features this gunfighter who walks around with a guitar, very much like El Mariachi. I just thought Robert might have gotten the entire idea for his character from this movie.

I think they’re replaying this movie on the retroplex channel, I saw it last night after watching Rumble Fish on demand. Tv has never been better!

El Mariachi was the first film with the character with the guitar. This is the third film in the series.

I know that. The character “Azul” carried the case with weapons and El Mariachi wasen’t really a gun fighter - he is just mistaken as one.

OK, I mustve misread what you were saying there.

Yeah. I was referring to the character that Banderas plays “El Mariachi”.

Has anyone actually seen Johnny Guitar - dopey title but it’s a pretty unique western.

No I thought you were saying that OUATIM was the film that was inspired by Johnny Guitar. As if it was the first film with El Mariachi.

And Ive seen Johnny Guitar, its a really good film.

[quote]I just thought Robert might have gotten the entire idea for his character from this movie.

[/quote]
I meant Robert got some ideas from Johnny Guitar.

Anyways, have you ever seen so many stiff women in one movie - yeeesh!

Dear Sebastian and members, last saturday I’ve seen at last “Once upon a time in Mexico” of Rodriguez in home video version. I’ve read some advices of other fans that have founded that Mariachi as character is like a mexican 007. But the best impression is that all three actors, Depp, Banderas and Rourke can suggest a memory of previous films played; not only the guns are the first objects but also the guitar that Mariachi is taking in every place to find occasions to play. For us in Italy the memory of S. Leone “Giu’ la testa” is strong. In conclusion, for director Rodriguez not only a show, but a walk in the recent story of cinema. Giuliano Giuricin Grado Italy

[quote=“VALVESTINO”]
Dear Sebastian and members, last saturday I’ve seen at last “Once upon a time in Mexico” of Rodriguez in home video version. I’ve read some advices of other fans that have founded that Mariachi as character is like a mexican 007. But the best impression is that all three actors, Depp, Banderas and Rourke can suggest a memory of previous films played; not only the guns are the first objects but also the guitar that Mariachi is taking in every place to find occasions to play. For us in Italy the memory of S. Leone “Giu’ la testa” is strong. In conclusion, for director Rodriguez not only a show, but a walk in the recent story of cinema. Giuliano Giuricin Grado Italy
[/quote]

I don’t understand fully what you are trying to say, but the “El Mariachi” character in Rodriguez’s Mariachi films is based upon or atleast is reference to Clint Eastwood’s “man with no name” character in Leone’s “Dollars trilogy” and much less to do with Duck, You Sucker. The thing he wears around his hand is similar to (if not the same as) the one Eastwood wears in those films. Furthermore, as both Rodriguez and QT love Leone, QT suggested that El Mariachi and Desperado could be Rodriguez’s “Dollars Trilogy”, and that he should name the final installment “Once Upon a Time in Mexico”. This film in particular has a few references to Leone’s films, and implements certain Leone styles as well such as the “mexican standoff”, the Spaghetti-Western-like music and of course as already mentioned, “the man with no name character”, a man with almost no past, almost no connections, who travels to different towns to sort out unfinished business.

I’m sure others here could give you a much better answer. :slight_smile:

Really didn’t like this film. Some bad acting, the story is weak, and there were too many ridiculous scenes that went beyond just being ‘fun’. desperado is definitely the best of the trilogy.